Author Topic: Runes?  (Read 1738 times)

Offline Cerberus

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Runes?
« on: November 17, 2010, 06:18:37 AM »
can you use runes and how would u empower them for use?

Offline Ryan_Singer

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Runes?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2010, 07:13:32 AM »
Runecasting is a personal favorite of mine.

You can take:

-2 Ritualist (Runes)

This gives you the ability to cast thaumaturgy spells that directly relate to Rune Magic, like Wards. It also gives you two focus item slots, which can be converted into enchanted items and potions. Runes can pretty much describe any enchanted item. You could have a Rune on your Axe that covers it in flame, a rune on your boots that shield you from harm, one use runes that shield you from sight, etc. Sigrun Gard in the books is a Runecaster, and she is awesome.

Remember to take refinement for more item slots. Lore is the primary skill for Runecasting. Wouldn't be bad to spend the extra piont of refresh and pick up thaumaturgy at some point, putting the specialization into either runes or crafting.

Offline Cerberus

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2010, 08:32:04 AM »
thanks new to the pen and paper games little brother got me into it

Offline Amelia Crane

• Conversationalist
  • Estranged Daughter of Darby Crane
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2010, 02:04:42 PM »
I could also see Runecasting being a version of Sponsored magic.  But frankly, the ritual/thaumaturgy/refinement route makes a lot of sense and would be a good way of pricing it.

Offline mostlyawake

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2010, 03:37:13 PM »
I too have called "Runecasting" as nothing more than "potion slots" in game terms. It seems to work best.  Except, I just use the crafting specializations.

Offline Cerberus

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2010, 06:45:53 PM »
the way i thought it would work is you make your rune and to empower it offer part of your soul to Odin in a prayer for him to empower it

ex; If u have a pistol that fires bullets with an elemental twist u must etch the rune on it and to activate it u must offer a portion of your soul to Odin and he will empower it 

Offline Crion

• Conversationalist
  • "Don't. Mess. With. Librarians."
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2010, 09:01:55 PM »
There is a slightly spoiler-riffic discussion of a potential approach to Rune Magic here:
http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,19843.0.html

It makes references to Even Hand (the short story released in Dark and Stormy Knights), but I personally think it is worth looking at and dealing with the spoilers.

--Crion
"Smilies exist because no one has bothered to make a sarcasm font." Lost_Heretic
"I don't care about whose DNA has recombined with whose. When everything goes to hell, the people who stand by you without flinching--they are your family." Harry Dresden

Offline Cerberus

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2010, 10:26:38 PM »
ty

Offline Nyarlathotep5150

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2010, 04:32:22 AM »
   Sigrun Gard in Our World (Pg 149) has Sponsored Magic (Runes) in her character writeup, so I'd go that route. You get runes as Sponsored Magic from the Aesir.