Linked Events

• Jim and Shannon @ MarsCon: January 14, 2011 - January 16, 2011

Author Topic: Jim and Shannon at MarsCon in Williamsburg, VA - 1/14-16/2011  (Read 260059 times)

Offline whingnut

• Conversationalist
  • @RobJDurand
    • View Profile
Re: Jim and Shannon at MarsCon in Williamsburg, VA - 1/14-16/2011
« Reply #315 on: November 13, 2010, 04:29:39 PM »
There are caves there.  People can hide underground.
good. good. Not as familiar with that area spent some time down south in South Boston only was in Williamsburg briefly. My fears assuaged PARTY ON!
« Last Edit: November 14, 2010, 03:28:59 AM by whingnut »
"Did not see some of it coming AT ALL--crazy ramifications for Dresdenverse" - Anne Sowards 08/03/12 on Twitter regarding Cold Days

Offline Chiroptera

• Needs A Life
  • Serious battitude
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #316 on: November 14, 2010, 12:05:15 AM »
A lot of the commercial caves are northwest of Willliamsburg by about 3 hours, actually.  They'll just have to plan the evacuation ahead of time.  :P
"I don't have a lot of experience with vampires, but I have hunted werewolves. I shot one once.  But by the time I got to it, it had turned back into my neighbors dog." -Dwight Schrute

"And remember, if you are bitten by a bat, you will convulse and turn into one; it is a scientific fact." -MST3K

Offline Serack

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: November 14, 2010, 01:09:46 AM »
A lot of the commercial caves are northwest of Willliamsburg by about 3 hours, actually.  They'll just have to plan the evacuation ahead of time.  :P

Yah, Williamsburg is in the tidewater, dig much there and you get water.
DF WoJ Compilation
Green is my curator voice.
Name dropping "Serack" in a post /will/ draw my attention to it

*gnaws on the collar of his special issue Beta Foo long-sleeved jacket*

Offline Katty

• Posty McPostington
  • Never been perfect. But neither have you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: November 14, 2010, 02:10:39 AM »
There's a couple of caves in Yorktown.  Supposed to be haunted, though.   ;D
"No one gets to their heaven without a fight." - Neil Peart

"I'm going to hell for that bit.  And I'm taking all of you with me." - Denis Leary

Offline Chiroptera

• Needs A Life
  • Serious battitude
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #319 on: November 14, 2010, 03:21:36 AM »
I think Luray is the only one I've been to in VA.
"I don't have a lot of experience with vampires, but I have hunted werewolves. I shot one once.  But by the time I got to it, it had turned back into my neighbors dog." -Dwight Schrute

"And remember, if you are bitten by a bat, you will convulse and turn into one; it is a scientific fact." -MST3K

Offline Serack

• Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: November 14, 2010, 08:38:26 PM »
Stinkin' people with talent.

I don't have anything I could bring to a talent show, but I just read an interview with Shannon where she said she is big on beads and I have a hobby that has me occasionally visiting the bead shop so I think I will be bringing some of the products from that hobby to the dinner and passing them out to anyone who wants.  It's not urban fantasy related, but it's certainly geeky in my eyes.  I think I will take a picture and upload it to one of those free photo uploading sights later today.
DF WoJ Compilation

Offline whingnut

• Conversationalist
  • @RobJDurand
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: November 14, 2010, 08:42:59 PM »
I don't have anything I could bring to a talent show, but I just read an interview with Shannon where she said she is big on beads and I have a hobby that has me occasionally visiting the bead shop so I think I will be bringing some of the products from that hobby to the dinner and passing them out to anyone who wants.  It's not urban fantasy related, but it's certainly geeky in my eyes.  I think I will take a picture and upload it to one of those free photo uploading sights later today.

If you bring shiny things to the dinner you make a big impression on Shannon. She loves her crafts and her work is really good. Great Idea .
"Did not see some of it coming AT ALL--crazy ramifications for Dresdenverse" - Anne Sowards 08/03/12 on Twitter regarding Cold Days

Offline Serack

• Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: November 14, 2010, 08:56:08 PM »
Ok my first image upload on a photo sharing sight, I keep hearing it's simple, and amaisingly it seems to have only taken me 2 minutes including taking the picture.

I wire wrapped all 33 of these necklaces in about an hour yesterday.  I'll be putting them on their own thongs either before, or at the party.

These are shark teeth I collected from a stream while I was going to UF in Gainesville.  They are approximately 3 million years old (depending on your interpretation of the universe) and Gainesville is pretty well known among shark teeth collectors for having some of the best variety in color for shark teeth, which I intentionally did my best to represent with this sampling.  There are 3 main types of teeth here.  "Grey" shark teeth (a loose grouping of many species of sharks that's teeth are nearly indistinguishable, they are the triangular teeth with tiny serations), Lemon shark teeth (lemon shark teeth and lower grey shark teeth are nearly indistinguishable, they are the pointy T shaped teeth), Hemiprestis or shaggel tooth shark teeth (these are the ones with all the big serrations), and a few tiger shark teeth.  The one on the bottom right is one of those.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2010, 08:59:12 PM by Serack »
DF WoJ Compilation

Offline Chiroptera

• Needs A Life
  • Serious battitude
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #323 on: November 14, 2010, 09:01:57 PM »
Those are cool!  And it would appear that you have a great deal of patience.

Offline Serack

• Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: November 14, 2010, 09:06:11 PM »
Those are cool!  And it would appear that you have a great deal of patience.

Finding them is a lot of fun, I actually haven't made so many necklaces since I was a teenager/tween (that wasn't a word when i was that age).  All the ones I found back in college I had sorted out for necklaces but never got around to making anything out of them until I had an excuse last night, and I had a lot of fun.  When I was a teen, I used to bring them on campouts and sell them which was one of my only sources of income as a 13y/o
DF WoJ Compilation

Offline MarsCon1

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: November 14, 2010, 11:26:02 PM »
REQUEST FROM MARSCON CON STAFF - Priscillie - Could the dinner plans be moved from 7pm to 6pm. We have a charity auction at 8:30pm that we would like to have Jim and Shannon at. The charity is the Williamsburg Heritage Humane Society which helps out puppies and kitties. They even bring in several of their Cats and Dogs during the afternoon. Last year we raised over $2,500 dollars for them. We did so because David Weber auctioned off the chance to be in one of his books. He did two auctions and raised close to $1000.00. We would like Jim there to help us out.

Just for your information. At this time, we have tenatively scheduled Jim and Shannon for 2 hours on Friday, 3 hours on Saturday and 1 hour on Sunday (depending on their flight plans). So you should have plenty of time to spend with them.

Butch

Offline Highlander_II

• Conversationalist
  • There can be only one!
    • View Profile
    • Highlander II's Medium-sized Kingdom
« Reply #326 on: November 14, 2010, 11:35:49 PM »
Gail and I will be there!  Hook us up! (( yeah, list me as H2, or they won't know who I am *g* ))

Offline Priscellie

• Timeline Chick and Industrious Little Gnome
  • The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #327 on: November 14, 2010, 11:37:32 PM »
REQUEST FROM MARSCON CON STAFF - Priscillie - Could the dinner plans be moved from 7pm to 6pm. We have a charity auction at 8:30pm that we would like to have Jim and Shannon at. The charity is the Williamsburg Heritage Humane Society which helps out puppies and kitties. They even bring in several of their Cats and Dogs during the afternoon. Last year we raised over $2,500 dollars for them. We did so because David Weber auctioned off the chance to be in one of his books. He did two auctions and raised close to $1000.00. We would like Jim there to help us out.

Just for your information. At this time, we have tenatively scheduled Jim and Shannon for 2 hours on Friday, 3 hours on Saturday and 1 hour on Sunday (depending on their flight plans). So you should have plenty of time to spend with them.

Butch

No problem whatsoever!  Anything to better accommodate a worthy cause. :D  I've called the restaurant and changed our reservation to 6pm.  Thanks for keeping me updated!

Offline Priscellie

• Timeline Chick and Industrious Little Gnome
  • The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #328 on: November 14, 2010, 11:38:51 PM »
Gail and I will be there!  Hook us up! (( yeah, list me as H2, or they won't know who I am *g* ))

Added!

Offline whingnut

• Conversationalist
  • @RobJDurand
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: November 15, 2010, 12:19:51 AM »
No problem whatsoever!  Anything to better accommodate a worthy cause. :D  I've called the restaurant and changed our reservation to 6pm.  Thanks for keeping me updated!
Puppies and kitties? Bring your checkbooks folks let's get together and see they BEAT last years $2500 !