Linked Events

• Jim and Shannon @ MarsCon: January 14, 2011 - January 16, 2011

Author Topic: Jim and Shannon at MarsCon in Williamsburg, VA - 1/14-16/2011  (Read 260983 times)

Offline OnlyElise

• Posty McPostington
  • Beware the Tiny Dancing Flower Person!
    • View Profile
Re: Jim and Shannon at MarsCon in Williamsburg, VA - 1/14-16/2011
« Reply #510 on: November 22, 2010, 01:13:16 AM »
Just talked to a great guy named Chris who works at the Marscon hotel... he gleefully informed me he's going to be "nerdin' it up" with us, and that Marscon is his favorite event there. I told him to make sure to say Hi!!!
She Who Must Be Obeyed. Or at least catered to, occasionally.

Offline Aine

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: November 22, 2010, 01:31:50 AM »
Hotel and flight reservations made, con tickets purchased. 

Gryph would make a pretty good Marcone...but I have no idea what I'm going to do yet, there would just be something wrong with a short Gard...

Offline MarsCon1

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: November 22, 2010, 01:28:34 PM »
The Hotel Staff looks forward to MarsCon every year.The owner is Pakistani and is there most of the weekend. A few years back, we asked for permission to set up a decoration in the main lobby. He enjoyed it so much that every year he is asking us what we are creating for the lobby this year. He also enjoys our Dance Troupe, so they get asked back every year. This is a smaller hotel - when it comes to the number of rooms - but when the hotel truly wants you there then it is hard to leave.

Just a quick note on the tentative schedule for Jim and Shannon. Before I post this --- THIS IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE ---- Friday: 6pm Opening Ceremonies 7pm Jim & Shannon panel (Working Title: Urban Fantasy)  Saturday: 12noon - Jim's panel (reading potentially) 1pm Jim and Shannon Signing 3pm Jim Q&A. Sunday: Early morning panel (Their flight leaves around 1pm so they don't want to be late)

Now this is subject to change. Also as a favor to the MarsCon staff. For the members of this board - Please don't hog Jim and Shannon all to yourselves. Give the other fans a chance. See you at the con.

Offline Serack

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: November 22, 2010, 01:45:11 PM »
The Hotel Staff looks forward to MarsCon every year.The owner is Pakistani and is there most of the weekend. A few years back, we asked for permission to set up a decoration in the main lobby. He enjoyed it so much that every year he is asking us what we are creating for the lobby this year. He also enjoys our Dance Troupe, so they get asked back every year. This is a smaller hotel - when it comes to the number of rooms - but when the hotel truly wants you there then it is hard to leave.

Just a quick note on the tentative schedule for Jim and Shannon. Before I post this --- THIS IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE ---- Friday: 6pm Opening Ceremonies 7pm Jim & Shannon panel (Working Title: Urban Fantasy)  Saturday: 12noon - Jim's panel (reading potentially) 1pm Jim and Shannon Signing 3pm Jim Q&A. Sunday: Early morning panel (Their flight leaves around 1pm so they don't want to be late)

Now this is subject to change. Also as a favor to the MarsCon staff. For the members of this board - Please don't hog Jim and Shannon all to yourselves. Give the other fans a chance. See you at the con.

Jim usually defers readings and does Q&A's instead, saying that he assumes most people can read his books themselves, and he gets a new croud to laugh at his jokes.  Personally, I love watching Q&A video's on the internet, but I really, really, really want to hear the fabled Jim Butcher reading of Bob that there seem to be no recordings of, but those that have heard report to be amaisingly laden with snark.
DF WoJ Compilation
Green is my curator voice.
Name dropping "Serack" in a post /will/ draw my attention to it

*gnaws on the collar of his special issue Beta Foo long-sleeved jacket*

Offline Priscellie

• Timeline Chick and Industrious Little Gnome
  • The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #514 on: November 22, 2010, 04:12:16 PM »
Jim usually defers readings and does Q&A's instead, saying that he assumes most people can read his books themselves, and he gets a new croud to laugh at his jokes.  Personally, I love watching Q&A video's on the internet, but I really, really, really want to hear the fabled Jim Butcher reading of Bob that there seem to be no recordings of, but those that have heard report to be amaisingly laden with snark.

If there is a reading, my guess is that it will be from Ghost Story.  If folks want, though, I'll ask him if he'd be open to reading a bit of Bob.

Woohoo, sounds great!

Also as a favor to the MarsCon staff. For the members of this board - Please don't hog Jim and Shannon all to yourselves. Give the other fans a chance. See you at the con.

That won't be a problem.  We forum folks are a respectful bunch!

Offline Serack

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: November 22, 2010, 04:21:32 PM »
If there is a reading, my guess is that it will be from Ghost StoryIf folks want, though, I'll ask him if he'd be open to reading a bit of Bob.

I'm only a folk, I need at least a second for it to be "folks"

I made the mistake of buying a camcorder with an internal battery, so I'm going to have to order extra batteries for this con...
DF WoJ Compilation
Green is my curator voice.
Name dropping "Serack" in a post /will/ draw my attention to it

*gnaws on the collar of his special issue Beta Foo long-sleeved jacket*

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: November 22, 2010, 04:26:24 PM »
That won't be a problem.  We forum folks are a respectful bunch!

Nonsense. We harass our authors. Why, we're not even giving Jim and Shannon a break after...

... oh, we are? Um... whoops. I'll shut up now. :D
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline Myyrdn Eopia

• Bartender
  • Posty McPostington
  • Twitter: @myyrdneopia
    • View Profile
    • Ranting Dragon SF/F News and Reviews
« Reply #517 on: November 22, 2010, 04:26:46 PM »
Personally, I love watching Q&A video's on the internet, but I really, really, really want to hear the fabled Jim Butcher reading of Bob that there seem to be no recordings of, but those that have heard report to be amaisingly laden with snark.

If there is a reading, my guess is that it will be from Ghost Story.  If folks want, though, I'll ask him if he'd be open to reading a bit of Bob.

I'm only a folk, I need at least a second for it to be "folks"

I made the mistake of buying a camcorder with an internal battery, so I'm going to have to order extra batteries for this con...

Seconded.  I asked him if there was any chance he'd be able to read a bit of Bob at NYCC, and he said, "Potentially."  :D

Offline Mickey Finn

• Encyclopedia Salesman at the Gates of Mordor --- http://tinyurl.com/Amazon-Page-for-Finn
  • White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Moderator, Thematic Consultant for Comic
    • View Profile
    • Amazon Profile
« Reply #518 on: November 22, 2010, 07:42:48 PM »
I'm just jealous because Ursula's going to be there. She's up there with the pFoglios.
We are not nouns. We are VERBS. -Stephen Fry
The Universe is made of stories, not of atoms. -Muriel Rukeyser

Podcast: http://thegentlemennerds.com/

Wormwood Mysteries:
"All The Pretty Little Horses" http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00W8FE3FS 
"Sign of the Times" http://tinyurl.com/DirtyMagick

Offline OnlyElise

• Posty McPostington
  • Beware the Tiny Dancing Flower Person!
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: November 22, 2010, 08:32:03 PM »
Nonsense. We harass our authors. Why, we're not even giving Jim and Shannon a break after...

... oh, we are? Um... whoops. I'll shut up now. :D

Aw man... and I was gonna wear my stalker pants and everything...
She Who Must Be Obeyed. Or at least catered to, occasionally.

Offline Priscellie

• The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #520 on: November 22, 2010, 08:38:42 PM »

What do stalker pants look like?

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: November 22, 2010, 08:38:53 PM »

"Stalker pants"? Is this some new phrase the kids have concocted?
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline Chiroptera

• Needs A Life
  • Serious battitude
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #522 on: November 22, 2010, 08:40:35 PM »
http://www.beaglewear.com/store/index.html?action=browse&CategoryNum=1067969441415526

They exist!  But I'm not sure why you would want to stalk a beagle...
"I don't have a lot of experience with vampires, but I have hunted werewolves. I shot one once.  But by the time I got to it, it had turned back into my neighbors dog." -Dwight Schrute

"And remember, if you are bitten by a bat, you will convulse and turn into one; it is a scientific fact." -MST3K

Offline Priscellie

• The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #523 on: November 22, 2010, 08:46:23 PM »
http://www.beaglewear.com/store/index.html?action=browse&CategoryNum=1067969441415526

They exist!  But I'm not sure why you would want to stalk a beagle...

Oh, so they're Woodstocker pants?

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: November 22, 2010, 08:52:26 PM »
Oh, so they're Woodstocker pants?

... okay, you KNOW it's a horrible pun if *I* groan at it.