Author Topic: Empathy, social defence  (Read 2475 times)

Offline Arcteryx

• Conversationalist
  • "I comb my hair with a hand grenade."
    • View Profile
Empathy, social defence
« on: November 13, 2010, 09:06:59 AM »
I understand how Empathy works against Deceit, Chit-Chat - but how would it work against Intimidation? Any examples greatly welcomed...

Offline MyNinjaH8sU

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Empathy, social defence
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2010, 07:28:23 PM »
"Talk you bastard! Tell us where you hid the book! Don't make me hurt you."

"I am no fool. I've seen what happens to the pee you no longer have a use for. Hurt me if you must, but I know the truth of who and what you are, and I won't give you what you want."

Or...

"Why don't you let me in. It would save you on hospital bills later."

"You're used to having people fear you, aren't you. But what happens when someone doesn't accept your strength? You're all bark, friend, and I'm not afraid of you."

Offline luminos

• Posty McPostington
  • Um... Hello?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2010, 01:46:18 AM »
It wouldn't work as a defense against intimidation, for the most part (which is fine, intimidation is already the most easily countered social skill in the game).  Although ninjas examples are pretty good description of cases where it does work. 
Lawful Chaotic

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2010, 06:29:35 AM »
Could also give you an idea of what they're capable of. If they're threatening you and you know they're all bark and no bite then they're not going to achieve the desired effect.

Offline Arcteryx

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2010, 09:54:22 AM »
It wouldn't work as a defense against intimidation, for the most part (which is fine, intimidation is already the most easily countered social skill in the game).  Although ninjas examples are pretty good description of cases where it does work. 

Could you just elaborate on initimidation being the most easily countered social skill in the game?

Offline luminos

• Posty McPostington
  • Um... Hello?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2010, 04:34:47 PM »
Could you just elaborate on initimidation being the most easily countered social skill in the game?

In YS, there are four different skills that are given as defenses against intimidation (deceit, presence, rapport, discipline), meaning that just about any social ability at all is a defense against it, and all magic users have a built in defense against it.
Lawful Chaotic

Offline Ranma1558

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2010, 05:46:15 AM »
In YS, there are four different skills that are given as defenses against intimidation (deceit, presence, rapport, discipline), meaning that just about any social ability at all is a defense against it, and all magic users have a built in defense against it.

For the most part all four "can be used" but depending on the threat I'd rule only certain one are available in that situation (or if the person rolling can make a good reason).
For example, you're tied up with a guy yelling at you "Tell me where the girl is or you get it" rapport and presence might not cut it for defense. Your ability to be sociable might not cut it as a means of 'deflecting' the fear your assailant is putting out.

Offline luminos

• Posty McPostington
  • Um... Hello?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2010, 07:34:09 AM »
For the most part all four "can be used" but depending on the threat I'd rule only certain one are available in that situation (or if the person rolling can make a good reason).
For example, you're tied up with a guy yelling at you "Tell me where the girl is or you get it" rapport and presence might not cut it for defense. Your ability to be sociable might not cut it as a means of 'deflecting' the fear your assailant is putting out.

Makes sense.  I guess a good rule of thumb is "social skills can only be used if it makes sense for them to apply in the situation"
Lawful Chaotic

Offline Belial666

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2010, 09:20:45 AM »
On the other hand, Intimidation is one way to apply mental stress that everyone can use. It has so many possible defences because it is so dangerous.

Offline admiralducksauce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2010, 02:39:52 PM »
Makes sense.  I guess a good rule of thumb is "social skills can only be used if it makes sense for them to apply in the situation"

That's a good rule of thumb for any skill.  :)

Offline Wolfwood2

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2010, 09:09:07 PM »
On the other hand, Intimidation is one way to apply mental stress that everyone can use. It has so many possible defences because it is so dangerous.

I became much fonder of Intimidation when I realized it doesn't just cover threats, but also sass, backtalk, and provocation.  There are so many situations where issuing a threat doesn't make sense, but who doesn't love mouthing off to authority figures?

"Give it up, old man.  You haven't been on the streets for twenty years, and you don't know a thing about what's going on.  That green rookie over there knows more than you... and he has better breath!"

Intimidation, folks.

Offline Arcteryx

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2010, 03:57:43 PM »
Thanks guys!

Appreciate all the answers & viewpoints. I agree that the multiple defences vs Intimidation only apply situationally... you can't necessarily use any of them at any one time, its dictated by circumstance and situation. I don't know how clear that is in the rules, but certainly in play it bears out.