Author Topic: Thematic Thaumaturgy Specializations and Crafting  (Read 1514 times)

Offline Xilver

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Thematic Thaumaturgy Specializations and Crafting
« on: November 05, 2010, 06:01:55 PM »
Hello all!

I've got a question about taking Thematic Thaumaturgy specializations.  If a practitioner takes a specialization along thematic lines, can he also get a bonus to crafting items with that theme from the specialization without taking another specialization?  The books would lead you to believe "no" since the crafting specializations are different (Strength, Frequency, Focus) vs (Complexity, Control).  But I'd like to hear thoughts on this.  Take the example of a specialization in Mechanomancy (clockwork magic).  Taking a specialization in Complexity here should logically lead to some benefit with crafting an enchanted item (strength?).

Alternatively, is it reasonable to limit a crafting specialization to a thematic school for an additional bonus.

My goal is to limit the practitioner to a very specific set of schools without wasting refresh.

Offline Becq

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Thematic Thaumaturgy Specializations and Crafting
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2010, 07:11:48 PM »
Good question, and I think that your initial answer is technically correct.  However, I also agree that it doesn't make a lot of sense.  After all, a functional specialization grants a bonus for all themes within that function, so in makes sense that a thematic specialization should grant bonuses to all functions within that theme.  In this case, I would say that a thematic complexity bonus also improves crafting strength within the theme, and a thematic control bonus boosts frequency.

I think I would be very careful (ie, I wouldn't allow it) about allowing larger bonuses within a ... er ... "thematic function" or "functional theme".  That would probably lead to overly powerful combinations, especially with respect to thematic crafting.

Offline Xilver

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2010, 12:28:42 AM »
...functional specialization grants a bonus for all themes within that function, so in makes sense that a thematic specialization should grant bonuses to all functions within that theme...

Best explanation I've heard.  Thanks!

Offline Becq

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2010, 12:41:06 AM »
Best explanation I've heard.  Thanks!
More of a suggestion than an explanation; the rules are as you stated: crafting specialization gives a bonus to crafting, whereas a function/theme bonus gives a bonus to casting spells of that function/theme.  This may have been deliberate, as specializations that boost crafting can be potent in their own right.

Offline JustinS

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2010, 04:18:28 AM »
I would say yes, but likely be a bit stricter in making sure the thematic focus applied.

In the case of Mechanomancy, where it is processed based, I'd actually suggest making it a universal bonus for items with the likewise description, but bump all items by one size category to represent the extra mass of clockwork needed.