Author Topic: An Eruv is a threshold and can support wards  (Read 3962 times)

Offline Ryan_Singer

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
An Eruv is a threshold and can support wards
« on: November 05, 2010, 10:34:19 AM »

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
Re: An Eruv is a threshold and can support wards
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2010, 10:40:32 AM »
Unless all the people in the enclosure have established a strong, at least quasi-familial relationship and deep shared experiences, I'd say not.
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline Ryan_Singer

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2010, 11:05:09 AM »
Unless all the people in the enclosure have established a strong, at least quasi-familial relationship and deep shared experiences, I'd say not.

Have you ever seen a orthodox community? Watch Fiddler on the roof.

Offline knnn

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2010, 11:22:20 AM »
Heh.  

I'm actually using exactly that idea in my write-up of Jerusalem.   99% of these count as 0-level thresholds, and cannot support more than the tiniest amount of power.  However, there are dozens of them around the city (every group has their own), and they intertwine with each other.  This makes it really hard to track someone who's walking around town by magic.  

Actually, if you think about it from a DV point of view, it actually makes a little sense.  It could be a reasonable example of "the evolution of religion".  Thresholds work "in real life", so somewhere along the last 3000 years, the notion of putting up these "virtual walls" made it into the Jewish religion (possibly influenced by people "in the know").  This might even give it a bit more power as a threshold as it is in some sense "faith powered".

Edit: Note that Harry mentions something similar about walls around cemeteries in GP.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 11:27:39 AM by knnn »
DV Geek code:

DV knnn v1.2 YR4 FR3 BK++ RP+ JB+ TH WG+ CL(+) SW++++ BC- MC---(+) SH[Murphy+, Molly+]

Find out your Dresden Files "Purity" score: http://knnn.x10.mx/purity2/purity.html

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2010, 11:29:02 AM »
Have you ever seen a orthodox community? Watch Fiddler on the roof.

Yes, I've seen an Orthodox community in real life. I do not disagree that there is something more of a spirit of shared community, but it would have to be a small, physically close-together, long-standing one with very little traffic with the outside. And given the Jewish tradition against magic, it would have to be an outsider setting up the wards, which would impinge upon the psychological insularity of the community necessary for a strong threshold. Granted, wards and threshold are not necessarily concomitant, but the fact of an unrelated outsider doing it would make the task more difficult at best.

The Orthodox communities I've seen have a limited but still-important traffic with the outside; the energies would be diffused greatly, and that's not counting the intimate contact with outsiders that would be necessary for wards. Not saying it's impossible, but that it's far from a given.
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline Drashna

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2010, 04:20:56 PM »
Why would it have to be an outsider of the community. Would not Kabbalah be a reasonable explaination?
[qoute='piotr1600']Sure true love will conquer all... You sponsored an instant vision of a tentacled Cthuluoid monstrosity following Elaine around, meeping piteously and making puppy dog eyes at her while she sighs loudly and gently kisses those tentacles...[/qoute]

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2010, 04:24:45 PM »
Why would it have to be an outsider of the community. Would not Kabbalah be a reasonable explaination?

The magic aspect of Kabbalah has always been considered a bit fringe-y.

Offline Drashna

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2010, 04:36:04 PM »
You mean the same way any sort of magical believe has been? :)  Maybe, we're just not in the Know. :)

Besides, a tight knit community wouldn't really talk about something like that with outsiders, would then?
[qoute='piotr1600']Sure true love will conquer all... You sponsored an instant vision of a tentacled Cthuluoid monstrosity following Elaine around, meeping piteously and making puppy dog eyes at her while she sighs loudly and gently kisses those tentacles...[/qoute]

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2010, 04:46:37 PM »
You mean the same way any sort of magical believe has been? :)  Maybe, we're just not in the Know. :)

Besides, a tight knit community wouldn't really talk about something like that with outsiders, would then?

Meh, it gets out sooner or later.

In truth, however, whatever does or doesn't happen IRL doesn't HAVE to be identical in the DV. It honestly wouldn't be a great leap from your thoughts to Ryan's idea of an erev qualifying for a threshold and being wardable. In fact, that would be a great story hook for an adventure, wouldn't it? Hidden magical traditions suddenly coming to light? :)

Offline Tsunami

• Posty McPostington
  • Not delicate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2010, 06:59:53 PM »
From what I see in that wikipedia Article, which is all i know about the subject, modern day Eruvs are somewhat less intense than the original ones.
Entire Neighbourhoods enclosed by stringing wires between telephone poles and such. Also they, and the unity that they form, only are in effect on Sabbath.
So, i would only allow wards on Eruvs that are somewhat more traditional. Where people living inside the community really see themselves as extended family. Where this unity is stable, and exists all the time and not only at certain times.

Contact with outsides doesn't play into it. People invite guests into their homes all the time, and highly social people don't get a weaker threshold than loners... so why would that be the case here all of a sudden... In fact, highly social people would probably get a stronger threshold.

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2010, 07:14:57 PM »
Contact with outsides doesn't play into it. People invite guests into their homes all the time, and highly social people don't get a weaker threshold than loners... so why would that be the case here all of a sudden... In fact, highly social people would probably get a stronger threshold.

But it does. Trade, hiring craftsmen, town officials, etc. - the border can be passed without open invitation in modern Orthodox communities. That would weaken the integrity of the threshold unless the community had been planned and built so that there COULD be no passers-through. Modern erevs tend more towards the idea of a neighborhood, not a physically separate village/town, and that's seriously erosive of the idea of a group threshold.

It's irrelevant, anyway. Your game could certainly come up with the equivalent to a gated community - problem solved and without need for rationalizing and guessing about real-life things.

Offline Becq

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2010, 07:22:46 PM »
I think you worded it wrong, Ryan.  An Eruv is a boundary and can support a ward or threshold.  As pointed out above, I suspect that most Eruvs are formalities, and would therefore not support a threshold, though some very tight-knit communities might.  But even if it had no threshold, I would think that the boundary (which according to the article is often demarked by a wire enclosure complete with wire 'doorways') would be suitable for erecting a ward upon.  That said, it would be a very LARGE ward (at +2 complexity per zone, and each home/yard/etc enclosed would have multiple zones).  Putting up the ward would also cut off electricity, and might be problematic in terms of the exceptions needed to allow residents and their guests to come and go (none of which would matter as much for an Oh, Shit! moment when you needed to put up a temporary ward to protect the community).

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2010, 07:38:38 PM »
Good point on the electricity and phone. But yeah, as an emergency-measure consideration, I think it could work at least to some extent. To be arranged with your GM.

Offline Paynesgrey

• Bartender
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2010, 07:41:37 PM »
The nature of the Eruv could play a part in it's threshholdery.  I'd expect that one where the "neighborhood" were mainly members of the same extended family, it should have more potential than a Eruv where there's no particular family with which the site's "identity" is tied to.

Just my guestimation there.

Offline bibliophile20

• Conversationalist
  • Mmmm.... BBQ.
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Group Wiki: UR-Talarius
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2010, 03:37:18 PM »
Hi, all, first post, been lurking a while.

Actually been playing with this concept for a bit, and I have one other thing to add to the discussion:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mezuzah

My partner-in-crime/sounding board and I have been discussing this, and agree that it the mezuzah was put up by a devout member of the faith, it would literally function as "Bless This House" and boost the threshold level by +1 or +2.  (this only works if the parchment is regularly checked and then reattached with the same level of devoutness; if the parchment is damaged or if the sullen teenager does it just to get it out of the way, no bonus).

But as for the main eruv discussion, having grown up in an area where the eruv has real meaning and significance (I've seen 60-year-old men put on their heavy woolen vestments at home and walk the distance to synagogue, wearing them on top of the stereotypical black suit... in the summer, rather than break the prohibition of carrying on the Sabbath), I'd agree, yeah, most Eruvs are not going to be more than +0 thresholds, because the community its servicing is too new, too divided, or the eruv is too frequently down due to inclement weather breaking the boundary string.  But there will be a few that are more potent.  And some that will be very potent. 

A suggestion for a rule of thumb?  +1 threshold strength for every decade after the first that the community has been there with at least ten families (a minyan), as a base strength to start fiddling with.  Other factors effects--population turnover, number of synagogues, etc--can't be rule of thumb-d that easily.   
Tips for the Evil Henchman:
#12. If the seemingly helpless person you have just cornered is confident and unafraid despite being outnumbered and surrounded, you have encountered a Hero in disguise. Run while you still can.

DFRPG Resources Wiki