Author Topic: Why is the white court catch worth +0?  (Read 14917 times)

Offline MyNinjaH8sU

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Why is the white court catch worth +0?
« Reply #75 on: November 13, 2010, 05:02:31 PM »
In a word, there are three things
that last forever: faith, hope, and love;
but the greatest of them all is love."

Hmmm... Off topic I know, but I can't help thinking that those virtues are represented somewhere else in the Dresdenverse...  ;D

As for the ongoing argument, this seems like it is becoming a "your group should play it how you want, but the authors' intentions seem clear on the rarity of True Love, both in the novels and in the game. In their world, that's how it is. Yours when you run the game can be however you wish it to be."

I don't mean to belittle anyone's opinion, and obviously this can be a personal subject for everyone, I'm just saying that everyone has vastly different personal experiences, and there is just no way it a subject like this is going to be represented to everyone's mutual satisfaction.

And, really, thats totally cool.

Offline Richard_Chilton

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 13, 2010, 06:16:52 PM »
1) It was a lust potion, not a love potion.
2) the white court incite lust, not love.
3) the only magic that comes close to imposing True Love is in the short story Love Hurts and it required
(click to show/hide)

Point three is the main one - Dresden doesn't do a detect True Love spell and he couldn't think of a spell non-black magic spell that would make someone love someone else.

Richard

Offline Blackblade

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 13, 2010, 06:33:40 PM »
3) the only magic that comes close to imposing True Love is in the short story Love Hurts and it required
(click to show/hide)

As an addendum to the above,
(click to show/hide)

Offline Ochosi

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 17, 2010, 11:07:09 PM »
1) It was a lust potion, not a love potion.

Irrelevant, since the potion was an example of the ability of magic to alter will and behavior, not a limitation on the ability of magic. Your point ignores the point already made making it clear the rpg, by its very nature, exceeds the scope of the novels.

The other points were. . . irrelevant for exactly the same reasons, actually. It seems the post I made before had some bits skipped.

Point three is the main one - Dresden doesn't do a detect True Love spell and he couldn't think of a spell non-black magic spell that would make someone love someone else.

Which limits thaumaturgy as described by the rpg how? Let's count the unfounded assumptions in that quote (non-exhaustive list):
• Dresden had a sufficient amount of time to consider the matter.
• Dresden considered, and discounted, chains of spells and mixtures of spellcraft with nonmagical tactics -- or considered them and decided that such methods didn't fit into his definition of "spell" and discounted them for that reason.
• Dresden is unrivaled in the magical community and no one could come up with a better or more complete answer than he.
• Dresden is unrivaled in creativity as well.
• The point immediately above means that Dresden is the most experienced and/or most scholarly wizard in existence. . .

. . . and so on. We'll stop there for obvious reasons.

The novels aren't the rpg. They don't even limit the rpg. In fact, the rpg's scope was deliberately left open-ended -- textually limited due to the absence of materials that would have otherwise gone in (and actually, I must say, needed to go in*) -- specifically because Jim Butcher didn't want future novels hemmed in or undermined by the rpg.

I've had real-life discussions with physicists and biologists arguing about whether or not something in nature was even possible. We ended the matter, if not the discussion, by checking the literature. A professor who I considered, and still do, so smart it's scary was completely ignorant of the right answer -- it was generally in his field but he just hadn't found out yet. Magic's intellectual size -- for lack of a better word -- isn't clear, but it seems like the secrets of the universe would be pretty freakn' big. On par with the rigor needed for just biology, at least. A field that big is bound to have murky elements for a guy who two specialties are burnination and pulling wacky spells out of his backside.

That in mind, not only are the novels no limit (for the umpteenth time) on the rpg -- they don't even contradict.

Still doesn't make the vulnerability worth bupkis, though. Still comes down to a +0 point Catch.

*Disappointing, but a completely reasonable flaw when dealing with a preexisting IP. Plenty of games have their own, newly-minted cannon and manage to suck on scope with no excuse whatsoever.

Offline Richard_Chilton

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 18, 2010, 02:32:56 AM »
Irrelevant, since the potion was an example of the ability of magic to alter will and behavior, not a limitation on the ability of magic. Your point ignores the point already made making it clear the rpg, by its very nature, exceeds the scope of the novels.

It’s an example how magic works in the Dresdenverse.  All the magic in the game is based around how it works in the books.

And I  haven’t seen anything in the game books that says that the magic in the game exceeds the scope of the magic.

Which limits thaumaturgy as described by the rpg how? Let's count the unfounded assumptions in that quote (non-exhaustive list):
• Dresden had a sufficient amount of time to consider the matter.
• Dresden considered, and discounted, chains of spells and mixtures of spellcraft with nonmagical tactics -- or considered them and decided that such methods didn't fit into his definition of "spell" and discounted them for that reason.

These aren’t assumptions – if you’ve read the short story you will see that he spent days investigating before getting away.  He was in his lab for days, hitting his contacts, and was basically at the “ask random people on the street” point when Murphy’s side of the investigation panned out.

• Dresden is unrivaled in the magical community and no one could come up with a better or more complete answer than he.

He has Bob.  Bob is unrivalled.   When asked the right question Bob has the answer

• Dresden is unrivaled in creativity as well.

His creativity is why he lives when he fights out of his weight class.  He routinely survives things that he label’s heavy weights – which is equal to two members of the Senior Council working together.

The novels aren't the rpg. They don't even limit the rpg. In fact, the rpg's scope was deliberately left open-ended -- textually limited due to the absence of materials that would have otherwise gone in (and actually, I must say, needed to go in*) -- specifically because Jim Butcher didn't want future novels hemmed in or undermined by the rpg.

We differ here.  The designer has tried to make the game as close to the books as possible.  He has also seen “the outline” – which plans out the entire 22 books and trilogy.  He worked closely with Jim to map the game as closely as possible to the book.

I've had real-life discussions with physicists and biologists arguing about whether or not something in nature was even possible. We ended the matter, if not the discussion, by checking the literature. A professor who I considered, and still do, so smart it's scary was completely ignorant of the right answer -- it was generally in his field but he just hadn't found out yet. Magic's intellectual size -- for lack of a better word -- isn't clear, but it seems like the secrets of the universe would be pretty freakn' big. On par with the rigor needed for just biology, at least. A field that big is bound to have murky elements for a guy who two specialties are burnination and pulling wacky spells out of his backside.

You’re forgetting that he has Bob – a source of near infinite knowledge.

That in mind, not only are the novels no limit (for the umpteenth time) on the rpg -- they don't even contradict.

In which case the designer failed in his stated goal to map to the books as much as possible.

Still doesn't make the vulnerability worth bupkis, though. Still comes down to a +0 point Catch.

It looks like this will be the point where we disagree.   This thread asks “Why is the white court catch worth +0?” and I’ve tried to answer it.  From what I can see the game designers looked at the source material True Love just can’t be used as a weapon, which is why it isn’t worth much as a catch.  You feel that True Love is can easy be used as a weapon and thus should be worth more.  I’ve tried to cite the sources as evidence, you disagree that the books should be cited.

Why don’t we agree that in your game True Love can be used as a weapon and thus should be worth a bit more? If (in your game) it’s as common as you say I’d say that it should probably be worth the same as iron is to the fae.

Richard

Offline Nyarlathotep5150

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 18, 2010, 02:50:13 AM »
a) Any RPG played will immediately go beyond the scope of its novel source material.

True in essence. Absolutely any RPG will go beyond the source material in that players will think up things that where never covered in the source material.
    But the implication you mean by this point, that the opposite is also true, that its okay to ignore or flat out contradict the source material is just flat out wrong. Its as much of a BS argument as GM's that pull out the, "The GM can change or ignore any rule." rule, just to cover for the fact that he's too lazy to learn the rules. Thats not what that statement is supposed to mean.
    The magic and the Rules in the Dresden Files RPG are based on and intended to bring to life the world in the novels. So the limitations and rules set out in the novels do matter. If you intend to ignore them then you should call the game something else, because you are not playing the Dresden Files RPG.

Offline neko128

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 18, 2010, 03:19:47 PM »
He has Bob.  Bob is unrivalled.   When asked the right question Bob has the answer

This is untrue, and in fact specifically contradicted in "Our World" -

Code: [Select]
As an informational entity, it
is similar to the Archive, but much less powerful.
(Its direct knowledge of Faerie is mostly focused
on the Winter Court side of the equation. Also,
its understanding of the power of faith—and for
that matter, technology—is limited.)

Bob's knowledge is immense compared to most other individuals, but it's a result of - effectively - being a lab assistant for a few centuries and knowing lots of people to ask for the right answers.  The same applies to people like the Merlin - older and powerful wizards.  He's specifically listed as having a truly impressive - but limited - set of knowledge, with a couple of glaring holes.

His creativity is why he lives when he fights out of his weight class.  He routinely survives things that he label’s heavy weights – which is equal to two members of the Senior Council working together.

And he routinely defeats or escapes them through a combination of (granted) creativity, dumb luck, sheer raw power, and immensely powerful friends.  The vast majority of his major encounters (as chronicled in the books) would have killed him without the intervention of sometimes almost-god-level powers on his behalf.

Harry not being able to do something is not the be-all and end-all of magic.  After several more centuries of study, his not being able to do something will still not be the be-all and end-all of magic.  The theme of personal belief limiting ability is touched upon repeatedly in the novels.  He's unusually good at tracking spells, but he comments repeatedly about other people being better at other things than him - like Veils.  Hell, even look at the sidebar under Thaumaturgy about thematic vs. functional specializations.

Offline Ochosi

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 25, 2010, 02:35:26 AM »
It’s an example how magic works in the Dresdenverse.  All the magic in the game is based around how it works in the books.

That doesn’t make it relevant. You missed the point I made above. It’s irrelevant because it isn’t a specific example of the phenomenon at hand. There are many ways to reach love facilitated by magic; that the book points out one way it cannot work (and implies/describes several other ways it cannot work) is irrelevant. There are many way to fail at machine-powered flight; the Wright brothers came up many, then found one that worked.

These aren’t assumptions – if you’ve read the short story you will see that he spent days investigating before getting away.

And how does this negate the assumptions? Dresden is still a thaumaturgist of finite ability. The Wright brothers, again, took quite some time -- and probably had less pressure to succeed.

And, um, there’s the fact that wizards don’t like to share knowledge. That’s a pretty big deal here when it comes to personal limitations. If you have the answer to a vexing problem, it may be in your best interests to convince the world that there is no answer. . .

He has Bob.  Bob is unrivalled.   When asked the right question Bob has the answer

So Bob > the Merlin? More assumptions. Dresden always knows the right answer to ask? More assumptions. Wait, no, that Bob thing isn’t an assumption -- it’s incorrect. Bob is old, and wise, and extremely experienced, but that doesn’t make him perfect or near-perfect. By this logic, there should be vampires running around that could trump him.

If Bob were truly unrivaled and always provided the right answer, the plots of the stories wouldn’t advance past “Bob tells Dresden exactly what to do.” Bob is not the omniscient being you’re implying he is.

We differ here.  The designer has tried to make the game as close to the books as possible.  He has also seen “the outline” – which plans out the entire 22 books and trilogy.

Um, no, this is wrong. I was making reference to some of the designer’s own comments. The design is deliberately limited in scope to keep Mr. Butcher from having to feel limited by the RPG -- the designer mentioned as much someplace previously.

His creativity is why he lives when he fights out of his weight class.  He routinely survives things that he label’s heavy weights. . .

This does not make Dresden unrivaled in creativity. It merely makes him creative. By your logic, Picasso could have spoken on music with complete authority, and Philip Glass can tell you everything you need to know about sculpting.

Not forgotten -- and, as previously mentioned, not near-infinte.

You feel that True Love is can easy be used as a weapon and thus should be worth more.

Wait, what? You completely mischaracterize my position. I pointed out above that love cannot be easily used as a weapon, even though it can be engineered and arranged through magical and mundane means. Actually, I feel silly repeating myself here -- I know I wrote as much above and have just reviewed the earlier statements. I even say that the catch is worth only +0 and imply that +1 is an overcharitable longshot. Did you even read the section you quoted? How can you come to the conclusion that I said that true love is “easily” used as a weapon if I grant the anthrophage no point reduction? This evaluation of my position is both logically incoherent and contrary to my statements. With respect, are you reading what I wrote or deciding to argue against an argument you have created?

I’ve tried to cite the sources as evidence, you disagree that the books should be cited.

No, I’ve disagreed with the assumption -- completely unfounded and only once (in one sentence above) even mentioned by yourself -- that the citations you’ve mentioned are relevant. I do recognize that the books are, of course, important.

Why don’t we agree that in your game True Love can be used as a weapon and thus should be worth a bit more?

Ah, now here we have an honest and clear disagreement. My position is that though love can be “weaponized,” the effort to engineer it would be comparable to, and less effective than, hiring a guy named Guido to snipe the pale little maggot.* If someone made a human that was very tough and fast in a game I’m running then pointed out that “concentrated hydrochloric acid, available at chemical supply stores, will stop him in his tracks!” I’d laugh and still deny him a point break. Humans are absolutely surrounded by toxic and hostile substances; I don’t think the Catch of the WCV really makes them much more vulnerable than humans in the main.

If this were a much sharper point-buy system, instead of FATE, you’re d@mn skippy I’d grant that points. But a refresh is a big, big stack of stats -- too big for this particular characteristic.

Change systems and we’d be in agreement: the WCV disadvantage is worth points.

In FATE? Not so much.

If you want those points and I have a say, switch to Champions or GURPS or something with extremely particular character creation systems.

*Some of our number are biased against predatory parahumans, and the attitude is infectious.

But the implication you mean by this point, that the opposite is also true, that its okay to ignore or flat out contradict the source material is just flat out wrong.

Well, it’s a good thing that the only place that implication and contradiction exists is in your head. I made no such claim and implied nothing of the sort and took great pains to make it clear that the book’s text cited by the previously-quoted poster was not on point. Given that it was not on point, I did not contradict it. Indeed, your claim is a severe mischaracterization since I went out of my way to point out why the example was irrelevant and offered no guidance -- and offered no limits on magic at large. We had this sort of thing come up here; the books were found inadequate by the players, your unflattering (and unwarranted) comparison notwithstanding. But that makes sense: they’re novels, not the Bible. (Hell, the Bible isn’t the bible of everything: it doesn’t cover lots of stuff. Which is good: it’s long enough as it is.)

Offline Amelia Crane

• Conversationalist
  • Estranged Daughter of Darby Crane
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 25, 2010, 08:42:34 AM »
Okay, just to keep this from devolving into a smoldering debate where a few people pick apart each others words, here's a challenge.  Describe for me, NUMERICALLY, how common you think love is, and how common you think "true magic" is.  For bonus points, describe how many people know about the weakness.

For example, as I've previously stated, I estimated magic to be possessed by one in every million people.  I (conservatively) estimated love to have the same frequency.

I don't know how many white court vampires there are, but a fairly major meeting in the deeps seemed to have not more than a hundred of them, so perhaps they number in the thousands worldwide.  Which actually puts them as common as wizards in my estimation.  Anyway, they should each know about their own house's weakness, and have a basis for a guess for the others.  And if they CAN guess I can easily imagine them propogating that information among their own house (to better bring about the downfall of the other houses).  Which means it's just a matter of knowing a WCV that isn't in the house you want to target and asking them nicely for the weakness.  Which can be done with a good contacts roll.

The problem is, the stated guidelines for pricing catches don't count how weaponizable something is.  I mean you could define a catch as Rainbows or dishonesty.  Things which are somewhat common, but very unweaponizable.  But because everyone has access to dishonesty, it would be worth +2.

Offline the_glasglow

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 25, 2010, 01:07:44 PM »
The problem is, the stated guidelines for pricing catches don't count how weaponizable something is.  I mean you could define a catch as Rainbows or dishonesty.  Things which are somewhat common, but very unweaponizable.  But because everyone has access to dishonesty, it would be worth +2

I think you may be on to something here - the Catch is inherently bound up in the recovery/toughness powers, which therefore already implies damage-inflicting objects/environmental effects. I agree with you about the scarcity (or not) of people in true love, but bear in mind that the scarcity of things which can be used to satisfy the catch "True Love" is not the same as the number of people "suffering" from it.

Harry can quite safely punch Thomas - he does not satisfy the catch. The fact that Inara could not feed on Harry (because the True love acts as a defense) is more a compel of Inari's high concept or Harry invoking a susan-related aspect than the satisfaction of the catch

I think the weaponizing argument _is_ already tied up in the scarcity - and would give your rainbow/dishonesty catches an appropriate cost (+0) (OK - maybe the dishonesty one would be +1 - I personally can think of quite a few dishonest weapons ;) )

Offline Selrach

• Conversationalist
  • You'll never guess
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 29, 2010, 06:51:35 AM »
Wow I think this thread has +0 Catch and some Mythic Recovery cause it just won't die. ;D
Apparently I would much rather post than sleep.

Offline deathwombat

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 29, 2010, 11:59:06 AM »
Die thread die!!!
Bad typists untie!!!!