Author Topic: True Faith of alternate faiths/philosophies?  (Read 9600 times)

Offline Amseriah

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
True Faith of alternate faiths/philosophies?
« on: October 31, 2010, 06:30:02 PM »
Hi, I have been very interested in making a character that has true faith powers but drew them from a philosophy rather than a religion.  I know that in the books Harry talks about seeing people invoking true faith of different religions such as Shintoism, but we have also seen Harry display powers of faith based on his magic with the holy symbol being his mother's necklace.  So do you all think that using a philosophy or a code of ethics would be beyond the scope of the intent of the powers?  I was thinking about having a knight (not an overly religious knight however) who has a True Faith in the code of chivalry.  Another character idea that I had was for a character who had True Faith in the Seelie Court or Unseelie Court.  My reasoning behind this is that the Court itself seems to be sentient with the 3 queens taking up the mantle of the position but the power coming from the court itself.  Thoughts?

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: True Faith of alternate faiths/philosophies?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2010, 06:44:29 PM »
Sounds like a good idea to me. I think that True Faith is about the person who has it, not the thing that it's in. So you could get True Faith powers from your belief in the deliciousness of a certain type of salad dressing if that belief was strong enough.

Besides, it's your game. You don't have to care about the intentions of the people who made the game. Your obligation to them ended the moment you paid for your books/PDFs.

PS: Nobody believes that strongly in salad dressing.

Offline Kaldra

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2010, 07:47:43 PM »
i dont know have you SEEN those kids in the valley ranch commercials?

Offline Lanodantheon

• Conversationalist
  • A Wizard is as a Wizard does...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2010, 08:33:15 PM »
Knight of the Jolly Green Giant? Hmmm.......
www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/the-emerald-city  (Nov 2012 Campaign of The Month)

fate-accelerated-star-wars-the-infinite-empire.obsidianportal.com/
(June 2016 Campaign of The Month)

My name is Lanodantheon Thul, Conjure that by your own risk....But first, you have be able to spell it...

Offline MyNinjaH8sU

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2010, 01:24:13 AM »
Knight of the Jolly Green Giant? Hmmm.......

...Hulk Smash?

On topic, I wholeheartedly support this idea, and have been doing something similar in the world my group has been playing in. Really, there isn't a character concept you can come up with that the rules don't support.

Offline lankyogre

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2010, 01:33:33 AM »
Personally, I think that to have True Faith it would have to be something that the Universe responded to. Especially the True Faith powers that already exist. Guide My Hand, Bless This House, etc, seem like things that would need power to give the practitioner. The Faerie Courts could probably do it, as could Magic, religions, certain other philosophies and Beliefs, but I would be afraid of opening it to wide, because of things like "salad dressing." Because there is no way that believing in a type of salad dressing would lead you where you need to be to fight.

Offline MyNinjaH8sU

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2010, 01:39:03 AM »
...Rightousness, a core power for the Champion of The Flying Spaghetti Monster.

Offline Amseriah

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2010, 02:27:58 AM »
Ok....so no salad dressing...what about Coffee???  Surely that is powerful and important enough to have gained followers and a certain amount of power.  I think that explains Starbucks!

Offline Kaldra

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2010, 02:37:54 AM »
do not dare get between me and my coffee on lab day >.> starts at 8 and ends at 6.

Offline toturi

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2010, 07:22:36 AM »
Little kids that really really believe in Santa or the Tooth Fairy or for the matter, their parents. "I believe in my daddy and I know he would want me to do this!"
Because there is no way that believing in a type of salad dressing would lead you where you need to be to fight.
It could help you go defend the factory that produces it when it is under siege by all sorts of activists.
With your laws of magic, wizards would pretty much just be helpless carebears who can only do magic tricks. - BumblingBear

Offline MijRai

• Posty McPostington
  • "For my next trick, anvils."
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2010, 08:22:31 AM »
I will make a Champion of the FSM!
Don't make me drop a turkey on you...

DV MijRai v1.2 YR 1 FR 1 BK+++ JB+ TH++ !WG CL SW BC+ RP++++ MC+++ SHMolly++;Murphy+

Offline ralexs1991

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2010, 07:05:49 PM »
I will make a Champion of the FSM!

epic win!!! ;D
Oh, hi, Mr. Warden!  How are you this fine day?  My, what a shiny sword you have there...

Offline Ranma1558

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2010, 07:16:08 PM »
Faith of Family, faith of your country, faith of democracy, faith in your fellow man, faith that duct tape fixes everything, faith in nature...I should have ended with the duct tape one....

Offline Blackblade

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2010, 08:10:49 PM »
A person with True Faith in the philosophy of Nietzsche could be quite interesting.

Offline Drashna

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2010, 10:03:40 PM »
Personally, I'd say that there has to be true faith there and a power behind it to back it up. And not just a minor power, something on the high end of the scale.
[qoute='piotr1600']Sure true love will conquer all... You sponsored an instant vision of a tentacled Cthuluoid monstrosity following Elaine around, meeping piteously and making puppy dog eyes at her while she sighs loudly and gently kisses those tentacles...[/qoute]