Author Topic: Worldwalking and Vampires  (Read 1109 times)

Offline dorward

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Worldwalking and Vampires
« on: February 07, 2011, 09:31:30 PM »
I'm trying to figure out how to handle Worldwalking and vampires.

First, there is the question of strength of the barrier between the real world and the Never Never. YS283 makes it clear that the barrier is diminished if the character has an affinity for it. I'm not sure if this should be a straight "Yeah, it is lower" or if it should be an invocation of the high concept aspect.

Second, the opening itself. Should vampires (in general since there can always be exceptions) have a way to open a way to the Never Never? My gut feeling is that they should have some means to actually open it (such as one of the forms of spell casting), which is just aided by their vampiric nature.

I don't have a lot of experience running FATE, so I'm looking for some recommendations on getting the balance right. I don't really want to drop too much power in the hands of players without them paying the price (aside from the inevitable "there's something nasty on the other side") for it.

Anybody got an opinion that they'd care to share?

Thanks.

Offline Wolfwood2

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Worldwalking and Vampires
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2011, 10:04:51 PM »
If the Nevernever is where the adventure is happening, then you can just assume the vampire PC found their way there off-screen.  Why would you not want the PCs going there and doing interesting things?

If the PC is trying to use going to the Nevernever as an escape from trouble or to sneak around or something similiar, then they probably ought to be using a Fate point to invoke their High Concept and be somewhere with an appropriate scene aspect.  Note that this doesn't just apply to vampires.  I'd let anybody with a mystical type High Concept go there if they think they can justify it.

Powers like Worldwalker and Thaumaturgy (worldwalking) allow you to open portals "on screen" anywhere you like and without having to pay a Fate point for the privilege.

Offline Richard_Chilton

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2011, 11:22:26 PM »
I thought vampires could cross wherever their natures allowed them to.

So Thomas could cross at a whore house, strip club, or other lust soaked area.

Richard

Offline bitterpill

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2011, 11:27:02 PM »
They can but it is not a power its is something to do because of thier demonic nature, an off screen kind of thing.
"Apathetic bloody planet, I've no sympathy at all"  Vogon Captain