Author Topic: Handicapping your characters.  (Read 5875 times)

Offline hatshep2

• Conversationalist
  • "No plan, just bigger guns." - Dylan Dog
    • View Profile
Re: Handicapping your characters.
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2010, 09:23:01 PM »
In general I tend toward the world imposing natural handicaps vs personal ones.  This, however, is more due to my long RPG background and personal need for system balance, and well as my aptitude for world-building which far outweighs my somewhat stilted ability with character development.  That being said one thing that has worked for me somewhat it to take the uber-awesome character, and make that the character at the end, then think on what it would to get there.  Its basically coming at it from the other direction.  You think about situation where the character might manage to overcome certain things, and the limitations that lead there will often naturally fall out.   Dont know if that's helpful, or even makes much sense, but it works for me. 

Sounds like a pretty decent way to me. I tend to start with flawed characters and work from there but this way of looking at things could offer a nice new perspective on some of my budding new characters. Thanks!  :)
"I am impertinant." - Percy Jackson, Book I: The Lightning Thief

"Relax, it's a loaner...They were out of caucasian in your size." - Dylan Dog, Dylan Dog: Dead of Night

"Rescue the damsel in distress, kill the bad guy, save the world." - Rick O'Connell, The Mummy

Offline prophet224

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Matt's Main Page (Under Construction)
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2010, 02:03:54 PM »
@Quantus - Gotta say, it made sense and I like it!
*NEW* DragonCon Writer's Track Notes:
Middle of page at: http://www.novusimperia.net/

Local but online Writer's Group:
http://writing.novusimperia.net/

Hypertext SotC SRD:
http://www.novusimperia.net/FATE_SRD/Fate3SRD.php

Offline Lauriane

• Participant
  • That's not a plan, that's a Luney Tune!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2010, 10:24:33 AM »
I have a series I started coming up with ideas for when I was 13.  I knew my character needed SOME kind of handicap (basically, something to make him not be Aragorn), so I just gave him a physical one: he gets a bad leg/knee injury in the prologue.  As I got deeper into the story, though, he ended up developing some organic character flaws that made him both more human and more interesting.  So I'd say give your character an external handicap if you want, and go from there.  Hopefully, as your story develops you'll see how to work in some character development.
Hate the world enough to change it, yet love it enough to think it worth changing.

Offline hatshep2

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2010, 05:34:51 PM »
I tend to prefer emotional/psychological handicaps - and then there's also the simple fact that my characters are human. Yes, they have some psuedo-magical assistance but the fact still remains that they are humans facing off against really tough enemies and having to overcome really bad odds. As if that's not bad enough of a physical handicap, my characters then get injured thanks to said handicap. Although my characters usually recover from these injuries eventually they still serve as an extra handicap in the mean time. So I guess I'm basically just really cruel to my characters.

"Relax, it's a loaner...They were out of caucasian in your size." - Dylan Dog, Dylan Dog: Dead of Night

"Rescue the damsel in distress, kill the bad guy, save the world." - Rick O'Connell, The Mummy

Offline Thrythlind

• Conversationalist
  • Wile E. Coyote. Suuuuper Genius
    • View Profile
    • Luke Green's Storefront
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2010, 08:02:36 AM »
Well, I have to say that there are many perceptions on an event.

Look at Vash the Stampede.  Saving the world for him is mechanically very easy.  At least in the anime, it seems clear that he could easily defeat and kill Knives and that simple act would save the world. 
(click to show/hide)

You might have a story where a character has won the treasure, defeated the villain and protected their friends and loved ones.

Something where those outside the character's perspective view everything as an uproarious success, but the Hero still failed in their goals.

Itachi Uchiha
(click to show/hide)

And people do like to read about or watch the unstoppable force.

That's why Columbo was so popular for so long.  You knew that Columbo would catch the killer every time, the only question was how he would do it.

As to handicaps and awesomeness, it is all in how they are applied.

Lucretia from my Bystander books can see electrical currents and temperature shifts, even through some walls.  Her vision is so acute, that she could recognize people just on their electrical or heat patterns alone and I eventually plan to have her comment that racy pictures only produce a half-hearted reaction from her, because they don't have everything she usually notes in watching people.

However, these two senses are one of Lucretia's most often cursed abilities.  Because of her ability to see electrical currents, computers, televisions and most of the movie theaters in her setting (year 2035) tend to be nothing to her except a jumble of electrical signals that completely obscure anything else on it.  She even has to have a braille translator for when she's working on the computer at the library she works.  Which brings the matter to the temperature vision.  Unless the temperature is at a steady rate and her brain starts editing out the extra information, the heat vision washes over her normal vision in a thick overlay which makes reading more or less impossible.

Someone misdiagnosed her with dyslexia and she goes with that even though she's vaguely aware that it's not true.

This is a problem for Lu because reading is actually her favorite activity (yes, she's that desperate for an escape) and she is occasionally described doing something like reading a history of OPEC or the Magna Carta.

By the same token, despite being incredibly stronger, faster and tougher than most of the other characters, she's practically worthless in a fight compared to the humans she commonly hangs out with.  All because she lacks any shred of combat training.  The leader of the merc team her parole officer hired even goes so far as to point this out in Making a Point.  It doesn't help that her official files are free to the public and make clear to the well-trained exactly what her weak points are (joint locks, palm strikes, other vibratory attacks due to the fact that her resilience is because her skin hardens in anticipation of an attack...heat also hurts her more than other things might....).   Of course, "weak point" for a superhero translates to "something that they are less invulnerable to", but still.

Lu's strongest points are that she's a cunning little street rat who would probably be rated as beyond a master in terms of picking pockets or locks, and very competent at the short-con and reading people.

any sort of story can make a good one:

Superman, Hamlet, Spiderman, Vash the Stamped, Harry Dresden

It doesn't matter whether your character is always successful or always fails.  What matters is that you entertain the audience.

I have been talking about some specifics to writing on my blog.

Thrythlind Stories and Games: http://Http://thryth.webs.com
Original Fiction: Bystander, Greenwater, Zodiacs, Choice and Consequences
Fan Fiction: Chi and Chakra, Divine Blood, others
Games: The Unnamed System, Lycan Life
Fan Art
Blog on Writing Technique and occasional rants

Offline Thrythlind

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2010, 01:36:54 PM »
not be Aragorn

...the hell?

I've never seen anyone complain about Aragorn before.

He's one of the best parts of the book!
Fan Art

Offline Lauriane

• Participant
  • That's not a plan, that's a Luney Tune!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2010, 02:12:04 PM »
*bows down in apology*

Not bashing Aragorn.  He's my favorite part of the book.  I just didn't want to plagiarize him . . . too obviously, mwahaha!
Hate the world enough to change it, yet love it enough to think it worth changing.

Offline hatshep2

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2010, 07:31:58 PM »
Lol. I read the books for Aragorn! Okay, and that Ring stuff was pretty cool, too...  ;)

Offline Razzazzika

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2010, 09:03:07 PM »
I have a lot of ideas in my head for lots of different characters, but just taking my current story that I'm actually writing on paper. My character is far more powerful than he knows, and continues to get more powerful as the series goes on, but the very source of his power is his weakness as well. Or... rather i think with my character it's the other way around... his weakness is the source of all his power. but anyway.

Umm... some good examples of this would be from the dresden files where
(click to show/hide)
or in the rachel morgan series where she can
(click to show/hide)

Offline Thrythlind

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2010, 09:38:04 PM »
I have a lot of ideas in my head for lots of different characters, but just taking my current story that I'm actually writing on paper. My character is far more powerful than he knows, and continues to get more powerful as the series goes on, but the very source of his power is his weakness as well. Or... rather i think with my character it's the other way around... his weakness is the source of all his power. but anyway.

Yeah, this seems to happen with main characters.

When your character is the de facto main character, it is often a case that they are honestly stronger and more powerful than anybody else, or at least have the potential to be.  Not always the case, but in situations where the character isn't so powerful, that itself will be the reason why they can succeed and no one else can.
Fan Art

Offline hatshep2

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2010, 10:42:41 PM »
In mine, several of my main characters are really tough thanks to some pseudo-magical swords. The swords, although they aren't technically sentient, have sort of "instincts" and a wreckless mind of their own that leads the characters to take too many chances and lose control. So the characters have the potential to be insanely powerful but the swords provide a natural check to that because if the characters rely on the swords too much could end up killing innocents or getting killed themselves by letting their guard down. So they can be epically tough...until something bad happens. Which means they can never displaying their epic toughness to their utmost, making them awesomely cool but not too powerful in actuality.

Offline Thrythlind

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2010, 11:27:27 PM »
my main character in Bystander is going to be mainly a guile hero, she'll eventually learn some fighting skill, but she's never going to be the top fighter in the world.  If I were writing in the Marvel universe, her raw strength and speed would make her a good fighter (both fluctuate and the strength can get to some insane levels), but that's Marvel.  Super strength people have been creeping around long enough in my world setting that most martial arts styles know very well how to compensate even for obscene levels of superhuman strength.

No, the series bad ass is her bodyguard, Genevive Robles, former Sergeant of the North American Military Alliance tactical security service. aka Tlazolteotl

Robles power: she comes from a long line of career soldiers, law enforcement and mercenaries

and a number of them have been perfectly "normal" (if you can't the action hero/comic book level of skills they reach) human beings that have been pretty much the baddest badasses in their general area....
Fan Art

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2010, 08:57:10 PM »
I just like writing about totally normal people without special powers other than smarts and decency and whatever they have actually trained for/learned how to do (in a plausible "anyone could do that" sort of way), dropped into unusual circumstances.  (For situation-dependent values of "totally normal"; it seems plausible to me, frex, that someone in a world a millennium in the future will no more have to worry about many contemporary illnesses than the average Westerner today has to worry about scurvy or leprosy.)

I find characters who start off More Special/Powerful Than Anyone Else kind of inherently a turn-off.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 09:00:12 PM by the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh »
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.