Author Topic: Smashwords?  (Read 1270 times)

Offline SuperflyMD

• Participant
    • View Profile
Smashwords?
« on: January 04, 2011, 01:55:00 PM »
Anybody using Smashwords? 

Once again I am putting the cart before the horse. I am only through with three chapters plus a prologue, but I'm already trying to figure out how to get my novel "out there."  I'll try the traditional route but I'm investigating the self-publishing options as well. 

Most of what I've read about Smashwords seems very positive, but I'd like to hear about someone's personal experiences, if possible.

I'm using Scrivener to write the book, so I'm also a little concerned since Smashwords seems to be built around Microsoft Word.

Thanks,

SF
I've got two words for you: no.

Offline LizW65

• Posty McPostington
  • Better Red than dead...
    • View Profile
    • elizabethkwadsworth.com
Re: Smashwords?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2011, 12:08:38 AM »
Is Smashwords solely an e-book publisher?  I got that impression when I visited their site to check out a work by an author who interested me, and if it had a venue for traditional paper and ink books, I didn't see it, but I would be happy to be proved wrong.
"Make good art." -Neil Gaiman
"Or failing that, entertaining trash." -Me
http://www.elizabethkwadsworth.com

Offline SuperflyMD

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Smashwords?
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2011, 01:15:54 AM »
They are an ebook publisher, but they submit their premier books to all the major distributors like Amazon, Sony, B&N, Borders, Stanza, etc.  Premier status is about conforming to their formatting, not someone deciding whose books are worthy. If you want hard copies they have an affiliate company that takes their ebook format and will print them for you. I think iread that it was cheaper than vanity press printing, but I'm not sure.
I've got two words for you: no.