Author Topic: A Couple of Questions from a new GM  (Read 3813 times)

Offline Ryan_Singer

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: A Couple of Questions from a new GM
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2010, 06:51:07 PM »
I don't have the book in front of me, but I think there was a 'poisoned' option for claws, which might allow for a lingering 'burning' effect.

Just looked it up. Venomous. It's pretty Brutal. I'd do it like this:

Burning Hands permanent ritual
-1 Claws
-2 Venomous
+1 Human Form
Total: -2 refresh

A character with this power could light his hands on fire as a free action. When fighting, he can make a fists maneuver to set an enemy aflame, allowing a free fists vs. endurance attack every exchange. Also, he gets +2 damage on his normal fists attacks, ala Claws.

It's pretty cool. I'd take it for the right character.

Offline Becq

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2010, 07:30:22 PM »
I think that if I were the GM I'd probably think really hard about allowing that +1 for Human Form for this particular case, since it's really an advantage rather than a weakness (I.e., Claws+Venom+Form has a noticeable advantage over Claws+Venom).

Offline Ryan_Singer

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2010, 07:34:13 PM »
I think that if I were the GM I'd probably think really hard about allowing that +1 for Human Form for this particular case, since it's really an advantage rather than a weakness (I.e., Claws+Venom+Form has a noticeable advantage over Claws+Venom).

I'd say that this is true for every human form that doesn't have a toughness power. As a GM, I'd probably require an Evocation Maneuver to "make the change".

Offline zerogain

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Dresden Files: Seattle
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2010, 08:53:47 PM »
Going back to the OP, can we get some more input as to that this character's concept is?

From what you've said I'm imagining much more of an Iron Fist (of Marvel's comic book series: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_Fist_%28comics%29) than a Doctor Strange.  Does the player want to have great butt-kicking hand-to-hand abilities or is he really a wizard?

Offline epios

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2010, 01:28:57 AM »
Going back to the OP, can we get some more input as to that this character's concept is?

From what you've said I'm imagining much more of an Iron Fist (of Marvel's comic book series: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_Fist_%28comics%29) than a Doctor Strange.  Does the player want to have great butt-kicking hand-to-hand abilities or is he really a wizard?

Thanks everyone for the great feedback! 

To give a bit more perspective on the player concept.  He is looking for basically a Native American Shaman (he's actually a card carrying member of one of the Alaskan tribes, so he is bringing in a lot of their mythology and cultural background).  He originally describe his character as more of a medicine man, but it seems to have been morphing into more of a melee fighting shaman.  I am leaning towards recommending that he custom build this, by taking claws as a number of people have suggested (probably with flavor text indicating that it's ice that forms ) plus I was thinking maybe a spirit form / astral projection (perhaps something along the lines of the Black Court gaseous form, but maybe more restrictive, like his body still exists and can take damage, he can only project to a certain range, etc)