Author Topic: Highway to Hell - A Cityless DFRPG/Core campaign  (Read 22009 times)

Offline THE_ANGRY_GAMER

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Highway to Hell - A Cityless DFRPG campaign
« Reply #60 on: August 10, 2012, 01:58:56 PM »
Your game sounds like great fun. Really makes me want to play DFRPG. Plus, you make it work without a City, which must be difficult.
GENERATION 24: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Offline admiralducksauce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 10, 2012, 04:01:41 PM »
Your game sounds like great fun. Really makes me want to play DFRPG. Plus, you make it work without a City, which must be difficult.

Thanks! I can't honestly say that we wouldn't have benefitted from some kind of city creation (replace "city" with... whatever), because we've never tried it. I'm interested in seeing the Road Trip campaign setup in the Paranet book, but at this point it's probably more academic curiosity. We're a long way into the campaign and unless there's some staggeringly awesome things to steal, I'll probably keep to the more traditional style of worldbuilding we've got right now.

Also, a lot of times the running gag is that the gang CAN'T go back to whatever city they were in. Kansas City and Austin are big no-fly zones for them now.

Truth is, one of the benefits of city creation is that it gets you faces and threats, and my players incorporated plenty into their backstories and Aspects. Denarians, black ops, and artifact-hoarding corporations are all present because of my players. Nevermind the ideas that I want to incorporate for my own amusement. Ideas for this campaign just come so easily.

I've gotta do a Black Court vampire at some point. They're a classic. Take that and skew it some, because I can't NOT skew things. Plus, there's a BCV in Kathryn's backstory that I haven't even touched yet.

That Ghost Centaur-turned-luchador was a late-night idea borne of exhaustion-genius. Maybe it's not evil so much, but boy, will it have it in for Carter still. I've decided it was trained by the ghosts of los Hermanos Numeros.

The main conflict right now, though, is Pantagruel. It'd be his third appearance should he rear his ugly owlbeary head again. And a Denarian is fairly easy to keep as a recurring villain, what with being inside an evil nigh-indestructible coin and all. I think maybe I've gotta twist him around so he's behind more things rather than a guy who puts in his own work, regardless of how cowardly his actual tactics might be.

To answer your question, though, I guess not having a City makes some things easier. The PCs can employ certain tactics that wouldn't be feasible in a city where they had to live afterwards, and as most of them are Pure Mortal or close to it, it gives them an edge. I can change up locations too, which works well for keeping interest high. We went from Vegas to the suburbs to downtown Austin to the Carolina wilderness in a handful of sessions.

You lose some recurring flavor. The Contacts skill is harder to use/less tempting. You end up describing the places and they come off a little quickly sketched or generic, but here's the flipside to that: It fits the campaign's themes. The gang are outsiders everywhere they go.

Offline THE_ANGRY_GAMER

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 10, 2012, 04:22:25 PM »
Interesting points. Are you keeping it to the South of the US generally, or will the bikers end up rampaging through D.C (I know very little about the general geography of the USA)
GENERATION 24: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Offline admiralducksauce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 10, 2012, 06:37:44 PM »
I'd say mostly we'll keep to the southwest, south, and Appalachia. Although they did run into Detroit before. If the gang ends up in DC, it'll probably be based around Project BLACKBOX and Clay's background and it likely won't be pleasant. Outlaw bikers and DC just don't mix very well. Plus, I've lived there, Scott's player lives there now, and it's weird gaming where you live.

Part of it is that everyone else does a city. It's the urban in urban fantasy. :)  I guess deep down I wanted a Western.

Our locations are places that only barely existed in the real world. The places we visit in our gaming sessions are these weird slices of outlaw culture cinema mixed with movie Americana mixed with slasher movie tropes. Smokey and the Bandit, Walking Tall, Road House, Convoy, and Nightmare on Elm Street have more in common with our campaign than any place in our world.

Some cities would work. Vegas, for example. It's got the right kind of dirty greedy slutty magic to it. Most cities would just serve as obstacles to the hunt. Which isn't a bad thing, it's just something to use sparingly.

Offline THE_ANGRY_GAMER

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 10, 2012, 08:42:57 PM »
I get your meaning. Plus, big cities means a lot of cops, which sounds like a big problem for some of your PCs!   ;)

Offline admiralducksauce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 11, 2012, 02:27:47 AM »
I get your meaning. Plus, big cities means a lot of cops, which sounds like a big problem for some of your PCs!   ;)

Only some? You're being pretty generous. :)

I think the trick to cops is use them like you would a Compel. I don't mean "hand out FP", although depending on campaign/PC Aspects that certainly could happen. I mean that the police shouldn't get trotted out unless they can make an interesting complication. And I haven't been using police much. When I have, it's been because the police have factored into the villains' plans at some level.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 11, 2012, 02:33:53 AM »
Sounds like a fun session.

Your PCs are a bit of a walking disaster zone, aren't they?

PS: I really have to wonder why you had bullets on hand when gaming, especially since you didn't have FP tokens.

Offline THE_ANGRY_GAMER

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 11, 2012, 11:53:36 AM »
PS: I really have to wonder why you had bullets on hand when gaming, especially since you didn't have FP tokens.

Yaeh. Are your players more like their PCs than usual...?  :P ;)

Offline Silverblaze

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 11, 2012, 06:28:34 PM »
I for one don't use fate chips.  We use an honor system; erasing and adding fate points to paper when they are :

A) handed out

or

B) spent

I can say I would far more likely have guns and/or bullets on hand than fate points.

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 06:30:15 PM by Silverblaze »

Offline THE_ANGRY_GAMER

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 11, 2012, 06:33:45 PM »
Then again; I live on a farm and hunt and am an active 2nd amendment fan/NRAmember/FOID card carrier/conceal and carry advocate

Ah. Don't have those in Belgium (where I live) AFAIK and definitely don't have them in UK (where I'm from). In fact, Handguns are almost completely illegal in UK: unless you're in the military or Police Trojan (think SWAT) units and are on duty, you can't have one.

Offline Silverblaze

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 11, 2012, 06:36:53 PM »
Ah. Don't have those in Belgium (where I live) AFAIK and definitely don't have them in UK (where I'm from). In fact, Handguns are almost completely illegal in UK: unless you're in the military or Police Trojan (think SWAT) units and are on duty, you can't have one.

Ah yeah, that makes a big difference.

Not a huge handgun fan anyhow.

I guess that explains where I'm from more than I had anticipated.  Meh. 

I was more or less wantign to drive home the point I'm not a fan of using fate chips, though i have no problem with people who like them.

Offline THE_ANGRY_GAMER

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 11, 2012, 07:26:43 PM »
Keeping a running tally of how may you have on paper seems a good idea. Prevents the 'Oh-I've-dropped-one-and-I-can't-find-it' issue, but I like the idea of physical tokens in addition to this.

Offline admiralducksauce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 11, 2012, 07:45:32 PM »
Sounds like a fun session.

Your PCs are a bit of a walking disaster zone, aren't they?

Yeah, the PCs are collectively a bit like the Punisher for supernatural creatures. And we normally game in Bill's player's basement, where his gun safes and assorted accoutrements are, so a box of .22s was at hand. If we gamed upstairs, we'd use... I dunno, Lego bricks or something for FP.

Just never use M&Ms. :D

I for one don't use fate chips.  We use an honor system;

That's cool. By contrast, I like the "clink" of physical tokens and being able to easily (emphasis easily) see how many FP my players have at any given time, so I can sneakily adjust the difficulty on the fly, think more about Compels so they can get more FP back, and so on.

Offline Silverblaze

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 11, 2012, 10:49:16 PM »

Yeah, the PCs are collectively a bit like the Punisher for supernatural creatures. And we normally game in Bill's player's basement, where his gun safes and assorted accoutrements are, so a box of .22s was at hand. If we gamed upstairs, we'd use... I dunno, Lego bricks or something for FP.

Just never use M&Ms. :D

That's cool. By contrast, I like the "clink" of physical tokens and being able to easily (emphasis easily) see how many FP my players have at any given time, so I can sneakily adjust the difficulty on the fly, think more about Compels so they can get more FP back, and so on.

Ah.  Yeah I hadn't considered that.

Hmmm... I may have to bring that idea up.

Offline admiralducksauce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 16, 2013, 10:44:04 PM »
It's been a long time, I know, but babies will do that to your gaming plans.

I've decided to convert this campaign over to Fate Core, not that it was ever all that tightly tied to DFRPG in the first place, but given the tools we had at the time, Dresden was by far the best Fate implementation to tell our stories. I think we can put a tighter focus on the types of characters we're playing and tailor things to what we're doing here instead of going with straight DFRPG. Mostly, this means tweaking skills and refresh levels, then some custom powers for the few PCs who have them.

If anyone is curious, my collected notes and conversion guidelines are over in google docs.

I also have a character sheet I did up in HTML. I couldn't find good consistent art to photoshop, so I had to do it myself. :)

We're playing again the weekend of the 26th. It's been pure torture waiting on that cliffhanger for 5 months.