Author Topic: Highway to Hell - A Cityless DFRPG/Core campaign  (Read 21979 times)

Offline admiralducksauce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Highway to Hell - A Cityless DFRPG/Core campaign
« on: October 18, 2010, 07:18:31 PM »
I ran DFRPG for my group last weekend.  It was our first time with the system.  We'd had about a month to bandy about High Concepts and the general idea of the game - a roving biker gang of monster hunters, like Supernatural meets Sons of Anarchy.  As such, I decided to skip city creation for now and we just did characters.  I did explain setting Themes and Threats, and we'll add them in as they jump out at us.

Without further ado, here's the characters and the events (HC = high concept; T = trouble):

Bill Stockburn
Supernatural Scholar on the Prowl (HC)
Former Host of Pantagruel (T)
Sweet Ride
Living Occult Encyclopedia
Knows a Guy Who Can Get That
Denarians on My Trail
Bad Eyes, Good Shotgun

Carter Mews
Arcane Acquisitions Expert (HC)
Why Buy When You Can Steal (T)
Rodger’s Ring of Remarkable Recall
Cain and Abel
Good, Bad, I’m the Guy With the Goods
It Wasn’t Me, It Was the One-Armed Man
I Love It When a Plan Comes Together

Scott Specter
Mean Motherbleeping Servant of God (HC)
On a Mission From God (T)
Outlaws to the End
Path of the Righteous Ex-Con
Driven By Redemption
Occult of Personality
By the Skin of My Teeth

Clayton Haycock James
Marine Recon Biker (HC)
Wrecked as a Soldier (T)
Fights Like an Engine
Been Through the Wringer
Knock Me Down But Never Out
Where Did You Come By That?
Renegade

---

Bobby Mackey’s Music World - Wilder, KY

Bill and the gang heard about a horrific murder at Music World in Kentucky: one of the Ghost Hunter Academy cadets heard a voice interact directly with her, left her partner and the cameraman at a dead sprint, and was decapitated by something that then stole her head, all before the other TAPS crew could get to the scene.  Bill’s friend Walton (played by Patrick Swayze) was running the road house while the Mackeys were on vacation in Europe, so Bill had a personal linterest in getting to the bottom of things, despite the fact that the incident was going to be a media circus.  Scott couldn’t ignore the call either; he knew at a deep level that there was Wrong in that place that needed to be put Right.  I compelled both PCs, both to illustrate how compels work as well as showing them how their backgrounds could tie directly into adventures.  Sure, on a metagame level they would go along anyway, but that’s technically a self-compel too.  They also didn’t have a whole lot of FATE to start with, and I wanted them to see early on how useful FP could be, and wanted to get them enough in hand so they wouldn’t hoard them.

When the gang reached Music World just before dawn, the place was crawling with press vans, TAPS trucks, a couple sherriff’s department cars, and a smattering of diehard TAPS fans who were holding a little vigil.  Bill found an opening to talk to Walton; the bemulleted master bouncer was glad Bill was there and mentioned that maybe there is something weird going on.  He warned Bill to step lightly; the sherriff, JR Keamey (played by R Lee Ermey), doesn't take kindly to strangers poking around in his town's business, and he was already on edge from the TAPS people and all their hangers-on.  This was a group-wide compel of my only setting Aspect thus far, and made it clear that running things up the flagpole wouldn't pan out.  My game is a road trip game.  We don't have a city, and because of time constraints and tainted pizza, we were lucky to have gotten through character creation the previous session.  The one Aspect we have as a setting Theme so far is "You're On Your Own", and refers to the biker gang being on the fringes of society.  Authorities will be suspicious, unhelpful, unbelieving, or sometimes outright hostile.  Furthermore, the various supernatural powers aren't as organized in my game as the default Dresdenverse.  It's more like Supernatural, with little terror cells of hunters and one-off or small groups of monsters.

Meanwhile, Clay stuck with Bill and assessed that Walton was clearly the pin holding the road house staff together (discovered Walton's Natural Leader aspect).  Carter snuck around back and declared an Open 2nd Story Window with Burglary; he then snuck in with ease.  Because it's a crime scene, the TAPS equipment was still set up, and Carter made off with the DV tapes.  He covered his tracks with a Deceit block, leaving some empty beer bottles around the equipment and shuffling some stuff around to deflect suspicion.  He DID however accept a Compel on his Why Buy When You Can Steal trouble, and nicked some petty cash and a smartphone someone left out to charge.  Scott, on the other hand, started Rapporting with the vigil crowd.  He was looking for the background on the place, why the Ghost Hunters were there, and then silently pieced valuable bits together.

Oh, and he had a smartphone, so he looked it up on the Internet as well.  There's a bunch of hauntings and activity at Bobby Mackey's Music World, but the one I was keying in on this adventure was the decapitation of Pearl Bryan by Scott Jackson and Alonzo Walling in 1896.  Scott put together some clues and the gang rendezvoused at their bikes.  Bill and Clay headed to the coroners.  Bill invoked his I Know a Guy Who Can Get That on top of an insane Contacts roll, and I agree that Walton has a good friend who's a medical examiner - she's patched Walton up in the past a few times when he couldn't go to the hospital proper.  The coroner let Bill and Clay in to see the dead woman, but I compelled Clay's Been Through the Wringer.  The corpse reminded him too much of his rising conflict, where he saw the terrible remains of his unit in Afghanistan, so he left the building (and thus couldn't place a maneuver to assist Bill's Lore roll).  It doesn't matter in the end, because Bill knocked Lore out of the park and picked up a faint whiff of evaporating ectoplasm from the neck stump.  The medical examiner told them it was a sharp instrument with incredible force behind it - taking someone's head off in a single stroke is NOT easy.

Clay helped Carter break into a Radio Shack - Carter stole the DV tapes but they still need stuff to watch them on.  He bought out of a Compel on his Why Buy When You Can Steal trouble Aspect (they didn't want a police chase or other involvement right now), and the group met back at a motel room they rented.  I explained that ghosts typically act like echoes in this game; there's always something that interferes with the spirit or gives it a reason to be more dangerous or manifest.  It could be ritual, or some astronomical conjunction, or a summoning, or it might not even be a ghost.  It could be a demon even, or a tulpa.  The group put their heads together, assessed Aspects and made manuevers using the various stuff they already stole and learned, and Bill knocked a Lore roll into orbit with an 8-shift success.  They figured out that Pearl Bryan - the victim - is the famous ghost, not so much her killers.  The killer wasn't a tulpa, then, due to lack of public belief.  And it wasn't Pearl herself, it didn't fit the clues or the history of the establishment.  The method of death - decapitation with a surgically sharp instrument - matched up nicely with Scott Jackson, who killed Pearl Bryan with a dissecting knife.  Someone could have made a deal with that spirit, that could explain the activity, but who?  Bill had a terrible revelation.  Bill's player asked me how Music World was doing before Walton showed up way back when.  I explain that it wasn't much to look at, the location is poor, and it was on the verge of going under.  It's exactly the kind of place that would hire Walton, given his reputation.  Walton turned the place around, and the hauntings and tourism that brought in were what helped keep the place on an even keel through some rough times.  Walton made a deal with a spirit; the spirit haunts the road house, brings in tourism, and in return Walton helps smooth over anything the spirit might do.  For reward, Walton could finally stop drifting and settle down.  He'd get a home out of the arrangement, a community, friends.  He hadn't had the chance to clean up after the spook this time, because there was a camera crew there and it ballooned out of his hands.

The gang started gearing up to ask Walton some questions when there was a knock at the motel door.  It was the sherriff and at least 2 deputies.  The complications from Carter stealing that smartphone (with a GPS, naturally) were coming home to roost, and the local cops suspected the gang of the DV tapes' theft as well as possibly the Radio Shack burglary.  Carter, Bill, and Scott started out the bathroom window while Clay stalled the cops.  I handed out a bunch of compels in short order; Scott urged them out the window but left the stolen merch, which prompted Sherriff Keamey to bear down on Clay; Clay didn't respond well to overbearing authority figures, burst out the door, and started punching cops; Bill's a used-up Denarian host and couldn't wriggle out the narrow bathroom window.  He'd have to come out the front with Clay and the police.

This scene was our first FATE fight, and it went pretty well.  The cops all had Fair fighting skills, Average Athletics and Driving, and Mediocre everything else.  Clay hit Sherriff Keamey off the bat with a mild consequence "Got My Bell Rung" while Bill blasted deputy Cletus with rock salt, taking him directly out and leaving him gasping for breath on the parking lot asphalt.  Carter and Scott beat feet around the back, thinking they might have to steal a police car, but Clay's was handling Keamey and Deputy Enos all by himself.  Clay had a ton of Endurance stunts and was basically Elliot from Leverage.  Since there was only Deputy Roscoe left, Carter and Scott double-teamed him.  Carter took some stress but they took the cop down with his own baton and knocked him out.  Figuring this was a sizable percentage of the area's police, the gang slashed the squad car tires and sped back to Music World before word of their shenanigans spread too far.

I figured that they would either look for Scott Jackson's burial place and go directly for the spirit's remains, or accost Walton first.  If they went for the grave, I would have Walton and some muscle show up and try to stop the gang directly, and the spook would be drawn there to protect itself.  The gang went to Walton first, though.  The police presence was gone - after all, they were unconscious and handcuffed at the motel.  The press had gotten their early fill and had cleared out for the time being (a smart declaration by someone, Carter I think, with his I Love It When A Plan Comes Together).

Walton was there, waiting for them with two of his biggest bouncers.  Walton didn't bother denying anything, but I compelled Scott's "Driven By Dedemption" and the ex-con preacher stopped Bill before he could gun down his old friend.  Scott took over and we entered a brief social combat, Scott vs. Walton.  Scott brough the terrible weight of the evil pact Walton had made down on him with a massive Intimidation roll.  Walton ended up with a moderate "Lost My Nerve in Front of My Staff" consequence.  He shot back, trying to act like he didn't know the spirit was THAT bloodthirsty, but Scott wasn't convinced.  Scott dealt a mild consequence to Walton again - "Hounded by the Law" - convincing Walton that he would go down for the Ghost Hunter's murder in the end.  I then compelled that aspect, ruling that Walton's two goons didn't want to be part of whatever was going down.  They ran for it while Walton escalated to violence, drawing a silver knife across his palm and drawing the attention of the murderous spirit below.  Carter won physical initiative after that, and went in with his stolen police baton but Walton, juiced up with a bunch of Fists stunts, sacrificed his next action to turn Carter's strike into a Wrist Locked maneuver that would set up a grapple.  My plan was for Walton to use Carter as a human shield and run for it.  I did NOT expect Scott to Soulgaze Walton.

Bobby Mackey's Music World's manager's office melted away and Scott stood looking at Walton.  Bill's friend stood alone in a long, narrow dojo that went on forever to either side but still felt claustrophobic.  The floors were black lacqured wood; cobwebs traced silken lines in the corners.  The blank dojo walls were lit up like ephemeral projection TVs and showed glimpses of Walton's life.  He was a born fighter.  Flashes of Vietnamese jungle, countless scrapes in bars, formal training in Japan, the military, and elsewhere all flicker on the screen.  Somewhere outside the dojo, Scott could hear echoing laughter, drinking songs, and clinking glass - the celebratory sounds Walton always heard but never was a part of.  Inside it was all shouting and smashing bottles and flashing red and blue lights.  Walton himself stood stock-still.  Scars and welts and cuts crisscrossed his body, lit beneath by a firey light.  Despite all Walton had seen and done, he was still a fighter.  He would not give up, and he wanted desperately to belong.  He wanted - needed - a place to call home, and once he found it he would do anything to keep it.  Even call up evil ghosts to bring tourists to his road house.

As it turned out, however, Scott dealt way more mental stress than Walton could take.  Walton could take a Severe consequence, which would take him out, or he could take the stress, which would take him out.  Therefore, he just took the stress.  Back in the real world, before Walton can finish his aikido magic on Carter and hold that silver knife to his throat, Walton pissed himself, dropped the knife, and fell over, catatonic.  THEN the angry spirit of Scott Jackson rose through the basement up into the bar.  It held a wickedly sharp dissecting knife and showed the gang exactly what it could do with it.  Walton's two bouncer mooks who ran for the door met the evil spirit head on.  Jackson showed it had the Wall of Death stunt, killing both mooks with a flurry of slashes.  One bouncer's head bounced across the dance floor and the gang sprung into action.

Clay, Scott, and Carter engaged Jackson's ghost around the bar while Bill ran for the basement.  He had a good idea about where Jackson's remains actually were - in a shallow well in Music World's basement, right around where the TAPS member was killed.  The ghost doesn't last that long, but the fear of conaequences had been impressed upon my players enough that they liberally spent FATE to avoid being tagged for more than simple stress.  Clay rubbed his hands in margarita salt and dealt a vicious Severe consequence to the ghost, "I Got My Face Punched Off".  Scott used Holy Touch, a little motel Bible, and lots of applicable Aspects and dealt a Moderate, "Barely Holding Together".  Carter, sad to say, mostly just got slashed up some.  Clay came around with a salt shaker in each hand, tagged the ghosts, new consequence, and shattered the shakers inside the ghost's torso!  The spirit went up with a ghastly howl... for now.  Meanwhile, I was compelling Bill's age-related Aspect, slowing him down and keeping him from reaching the well too quickly, but with Jackson temporarily dispered, nothing could stop the gang from salting and burning the remains, which were indeed buried in that evil well underneath the road house.

In the end, Walton's dark pact would protect Music World for a while longer.  The place's infamy would shoot through the roof in the near term - after all, a TV show person was killed there - but eventually without Jackson's spirit there to "goose" the place every now and then, the hauntings would stop and Music World would fade.  As for Walton himself, we don't know.  Nobody but him knows what he saw when he looked into Scott's soul, or whether it would help heal him or harm him further.  Would Scott come to regret stopping Bill from killing his friend?

All in all, my group really liked the FATE system.  We liked the compels, actually - getting a FATE point takes the edge off the complication, and we all trust each other not to be dicks.  I tried to look out for them, and look harder for compels when I noticed their FATE stock running low.  I know that from now on, I can play a little harder as GM.  No PC took any consequences, and nobody ran out of FATE, but it was a great learning experience and it went as smooth as could be expected for a brand new system.  They all liked the tactical options, especially how those options are consistent, not very numerous, yet applicable to a wide range of situations.  Clay's player was an aspect-tagging machine, and Carter's player I think latched onto assessing and declaring.  There weren't many declarations this time, but I think it'll happen as we play more.  For next time, I'll work up some tougher bad guys and use multiples, so they can maneuver for each other and use spin and whatnot.  I think since lethality is optional for the most part, I feel okay with playing hardball in conflicts and really make my players work together.  I give DFRPG 4 / 4 epic wins.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 03:53:48 PM by admiralducksauce »

Offline Mattastic

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Highway to Hell - A Cityless DFRPG campaign
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2010, 07:57:09 PM »
This is rad! Thanks for posting.

Offline deathwombat

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2010, 01:25:06 AM »
I like it!!
All pure mortals?
More o r less?
Bad typists untie!!!!

Offline admiralducksauce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2010, 02:19:11 AM »
Thanks!  Clayton and Bill are pure mortals.  Carter has the Item of Power power - one ring with the accumulated memories of his family tree, and another that can detect the presence of the supernatural (it works best on items, as it acts magnetic around them).  Scott has Holy Touch, Righteousness, and the Sight, which works really well for uncontrollable and possibly horrific visions from God.  Bill went the "no stunts, all FATE points" approach while Clay's the "all stunts, 1 FATE" type of character. 

Offline Kaldra

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2010, 06:10:47 AM »
verry nice, i enjoyed taking a look at what a session felt like

Offline admiralducksauce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2011, 10:49:45 PM »
After FAR too long, I got to run a second DFRPG session for my Supernatural-inspired monster-hunting biker gang.

Session 2
Scott, Carter, and Jimmy

Scott and Carter are listed above.  Jimmy's stats are like so:

Jimmy Pale Wolf
Shaman Vigilante
I Bite Off More Than I Can Chew
Ancestral Tomahawks of the Cherokee
Crusader
More Than One Way to Stake a Vampire
Liquid Courage
Literally Marked by Power

---

Dewayo Falls, WI
Scott gots a call out of the blue from a member of his old gang, Frankie “Spider” Nixon.  Considering they set Scott up to take the fall for their shenanigans in Scott’s backstory, it’s odd that Spider would have Scott’s phone number or even consider him someone who would help him out.   With a Compel on “Outlaws to the End”, however, Scott decided he couldn’t let his old acquaintance hang out to dry and so twelve hours later Scott, Carter, and Jimmy reached the outskirts of Dewayo Falls, Wisconsin. It was a shade past midnight in the medium-sized industrial town when a Daewoo with no headlights caught up to Scott’s bike and he recognized Spider behind the wheel.  They couldn’t hear each other over the engine noise but the entire group was coming to an intersection where they’d be able to figure something out.  Spider didn’t seem to understand what the red light meant; in fact, he turned around to look at the braking bikers with a look of “why are you slowing down?” as the Daewoo flew through the intersection and shredded against a GMC van.

Cue “Metal Health (Bang Your Head)” by Quiet Riot.  I shouted “CREDITS!” at the players and we continued.

Scott called 911 while Jimmy checked on the van’s driver.  I was going to simply declare the innocent driver dead but realized this was a great situation to showcase declarations.  I told Jimmy’s player that he could roll Lore (he has a stunt that lets him use Lore for medicinal trappings) against a difficulty to determine the man was still alive, or he could simply pay a Fate Point to make it so.  Jimmy paid the FP and amusingly used his “Liquid Courage” Aspect, declaring that the van’s driver was drunk enough to be loose and relaxed.  Spider was not so lucky.  Carter noted that addition to forgetting how to roll down a car window or what red lights meant, Spider also forgot to wear his seatbelt.  Carter investigated the scene with a cold detachment (“Good, Bad, I’m the Guy With the Goods”) and finds a bag with an unscathed magic 8-ball wrapped in dirty laundry and little else besides the meat-splatter from Spider’s cooling corpse.

Jimmy turned his attention to Spider now.  He asked if he could just summon Spider’s spirit and ask him what happened.  I explained about needing a link to your subject, and I compelled Scott’s “Outlaws To The End” such that he wouldn’t allow Jimmy to take... pieces... of his dead friend for some ritual nonsense.  Jimmy had to content himself with hair and nails.  Basically, we negotiated that while Jimmy had a link strong enough to attempt a summoning ritual, he could not declare any aspects relating to having a strong link to Spider through “fresh” (ew) material components.

Carter, Scott, and Jimmy rode to Dewayo’s mall and holed up in the construction site of an up-and-coming Boscov’s.  They quickly figured the magic 8-ball was important, and Carter had enough background in arcane artifacts to know that an unbreakable object like the 8-Ball was some kind of Item of Power.  Also, his magic-detecting ring (one of Carter’s own Items of Power and linked to his “Family Jewels” Aspect)  was glowing terribly brightly.  A moratorium was declared on asking the 8-Ball anything, and Carter held onto it.  It was clear that the ball had something to do with Spider’s death, but they’d have to ask Spider how and why he’d come across it.

The gang got a room at the local Holiday Inn Express and began preparing the summoning ritual.  This was our first foray into thaumaturgy (or really any DFRPG magic), and I wanted it to be flavorful enough that the guys would want to come back to it.  The trickiest part was picking the shifts required for the spell.  I told Jimmy that he’d need enough shifts to reliably trounce Spider’s Conviction roll, and then throw 2 more shifts on top for duration.  Jimmy wouldn’t want Spider dissipating too soon.  We decided 10 shifts seemed all right, and after that I told Jimmy he’d need a circle to contain Spider, but other than that, go nuts and place some Aspects on the scene that Jimmy can tag for his Lore roll.
1.  Jimmy drew the circle with soap from the motel bathroom spiked with Spider’s powdered nail clippings and set a small bowl with his hair and other flammables in the center.  Because of the previous Compel, we agreed these preparations were cool but wouldn’t be taggable.
2.  Scott knew Spider in life and could get very close to his Name.  Scott would be the one actually calling Spider (invoking “Outlaws to the End”).
3.  Carter rolled Burglary to shut off the power and sprinklers to the room, declaring a “No Interference” Aspect.  They were, after all, going to be burning things indoors.

Jimmy rolled his Lore, tagged the Aspects, and missed the difficulty by 2, which he made up for by invoking “Literally Marked By Power”.  His eldritch tattoos glowed with energy and pushed the last bit of power into the circle needed to manifest the newly-deceased Spider Nixon.  He was clearly free of whatever influence drove him to his death, and explained very clearly that he had fallen under the saliva-induced addictive thrall of a vampiress named Amanda Knox out of Detroit. (“What does she look like?” -”Well, hot, but trashy hot.”  -”So... Megan Fox?”)  Knox told Spider to retrieve the 8-ball.  He didn’t know how she knew of it, but he stole it from two hired goons from Crowley-Lampkin, the firm that Carter used to acquire items for.  The two goons were Mr. Tannhauser (Vinnie Jones) and Mr. Warfield (Terry Crews), and they were bad news (and a Compel for Carter’s “Cain and Abel” Aspect).  They found Spider soon after and he ran.  He asked the 8-Ball for Scott’s phone number and had been relying on it more and more ever since to evade pursuit.  He coincidentally forgot about returning it to Amanda Knox, so there’s no doubt that the vampire is on the artifact’s trail as well (A Compel on Jimmy’s “More Than One Way to Stake a Vampire”).  Spider explains that the 8-Ball answered any question he asked it, and wondered where he’d be going after Jimmy released him.  At this point, Scott self-compelled his own “On a Mission From God” Aspect and we agreed that for the rest of the spell’s duration, Scott would be saying last rites and taking Spider’s confession and generally trying to help him into the best possible fate once he moved on.  Spider would be too occupied to answer any more questions.

CUTSCENE: Tannhauser and Warfield arrived at the scene of the crash.  Tannhauser did a passable impression of a Winchester Brothers FBI gag to get the basics from the cops on the scene while Warfield noted burnout markings from three motorcycles.

Eventually Spider faded away.  The gang left via the motel room’s window and drove across town to the Super 8.  They rented two adjacent rooms, then used a Resouces maneuver and Rapport roll to bribe the clerk, which set the difficulty for anyone tracking the group to discern which room was the “decoy” room.

Scott Looked upon the artifact with his Sight (being more squicked out by the metaphysical representation of the motel room than the 8-Ball itself).  He explained what he saw and the group determined that the 8-Ball was some kind of Intellectus.  It was pretty much an academic point, but Carter’s player was the one who got me hooked on the Dresden Files, so I think he appreciated me tying something obscure like that into the game.  Then I compelled... well, I didn’t have an official Aspect, but I offered them each a FP to sleep.  It was late, they’d been on a 12-hour road trip, and they just saw some hairy shit.  The complication was of course that Tannhauser and Warfield, Crowley-Lampkin’s two enforcers, would track them down to the Super 8.

What transpired next was why I am seriously considering adding a campaign Aspect about trashed motel rooms.  Warfield’s Intimidation beat the preset difficulty to get the gang’s real room number from the clerk.  Both men’s Stealth beat Scott and Jimmy’s Alertness but not Carter.  Carter’s Stealth, however, beat both enforcers.  Carter woke up his friends and they made ready to skedaddle out the second motel room window that night but Jimmy had other ideas.  With a Compel to “Bite Off More Than He Could Chew”, Jimmy kicked the door out into Warfield before the big man could do the same!  Both thugs had tranquilizer pistols - a surprisingly genteel move that I believe created a slight atmosphere of mutual respect (“They’re not here to kill us, so we don’t reeeeally need to kill them either”).  Carter escaped out the window, slashed the tires on the thugs’ SUV, and drove off (A Compel on “Good, Bad, I’m the Guy With the Goods” to look out for Numba One, and a Compel to Scott’s “Outlaws To The End” to stick with Jimmy as he bit off more than he could chew).  Tannhauser lost his weapon to Jimmy’s tomahawks, however, and after some stress on both sides Tannhauser and Warfield conceded the battle before Jimmy could plant his tomahawks in more than just Warfield’s forearm (“Bloody Defensive Wounds”, a minor consequence).  Jimmy in turn did eat a dart (a minor “Gettin’ Sleepy” consequence) but he and Scott cleared out and met back up with Carter at a Waffle House on Dewayo Falls’ ubiquitous “strip”.

CUTSCENE: A Subaru WRX pulled off onto a well-hidden side road as dawn threatened to break over Dewayo Falls.  The driver, a slender, shadowed figure, retrieved a black tarp from the rear of the vehicle and draped it over her ride before climbing back into the car.  The sun rose soon after.

Offline admiralducksauce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2011, 10:50:29 PM »
Meanwhile, the gang discusses their options over waffles (and a lot of coffee for Jimmy).  Carter asks if he knows of any groups or anything that they could take the 8-Ball to that could keep it safe, like a Warehouse 13 or Area 51.  I compel Jimmy’s “Crusader” and Scott’s “Path of the Righteous Ex-Con” Aspects, saying that the 8-Ball is somewhat like the One Ring.  It wants to get loose, and whoever ended up with it would be in danger just like Spider was.  They didn’t want more innocent lives on their conscience so both of them accepted the Compels and the group decided to try to destroy it.  Carter knew that every Item of Power has some ritual or process or weapon that can destroy them; the Magic 8-Ball would be no different.

With the tenative go-ahead from the other two, Carter asked the 8-Ball “How can we destroy you?”  He shook the 8-Ball and the little die appeared in the window with the words, “Drop me into the River Lethe.”

“Where is the River Lethe?” Carter asked, shaking it again.  He had to squint to read the answer, the words were so bunched together.

”It flows through the NeverNever near the River Styx.  ‘Ways’ to the river exist in Portugal and Alaska,” the 8-Ball displayed.

“Uh...” the group generally murmured.  I explained (for while Jimmy would know, his player did not) that while a Way could get you to where you needed to go, they could still get to the Lethe as long as they crossed over in a place at least somewhat similar thematically.  Even a family-owned Greek restaurant with a lot of history or museum with ancient Greek sculpture would be better than trying to open a rift out in the Waffle House parking lot.  They decided to plan their heavy metal pilgrimage later.  Right now, they needed to get Tannhauser and Warfield off their trail.  Scott and Carter figure that the best way to do that is to use the Crowley-Lampkin goons’ tracking skills against them; it was time to set a trap.  An odd Compel happened next - I compelled Jimmy’s “Literally Marked by Power” Aspect, his distinctive ritual tattoos, and said that when Tannhauser and Warfield come looking for you it’ll be easy to just follow the Native American biker with facial ink.  The complication would come from, well, Tannhauser and Warfield being rather dangerous dudes.  It was very nearly a self-compel.  The PCs wanted the goons to find them, but it was all with the intention of making things complicated.  I figured it was better to err on the side of giving Fate Points to players.

Meanwhile, I compelled Mr. Warfield’s consequence of “Bloody Defensive Wounds” behind to scenes so Amanda Knox could catch their scent, so to speak.  I just needed a flimsy excuse for her to show up for the final encounter and that was it.

The gang staked (heh) out an abandoned slaughterhouse on the outskirts of town.  Jimmy set up a fairly easy detection ritual around the premises while Carter and Scott made rolls and declared Aspects on the scene to help their ambush.  I divided the slaughterhouse itself into 3 “catwalk” zones with varying borders adjoining a “conveyor belt” zone, a “meat hooks” zone, and an “office” zone.  There was an additional “basement” zone off the office zone and one of the catwalk zones with a higher border value to represent the stairs.
1.  For the detection ritual, I figured it would be the Resources equivalent to setting up a small network of video cameras.  Scott’s player had done this before and we worked out a ballpark figure that turned out to be less than Jimmy’s Lore, so he had the materials on hand.  He had pairs of feathers from various birds.  One feather from each pair would be scattered through the slaughterhouse grounds, while the other feathers were attached to a dreamcatcher type rattle.  The appropriate feather would rattle the dreamcatcher when someone drew near.
2.  The 8-Ball tried to Compel Carter a few times to make him forget what he was doing (essentially being unable to place the Aspects he wanted before Tannhauser and Warfield found them), but Carter bought off the influence.
3.  The slaughterhouse/ambush area ended up with several Aspects:
    a. Blessed Ammo (non-sticky), as the PCs figured Knox or someone from her camp would be on their trail as well.
    b. Plenty of Cover
    c. Weak Floorboards
    d. There’s a Way Out
    e.  Lots of Decoy Magic 8-Balls

Jimmy’s spell alerted the gang and the PCs rolled Stealth to hide on the catwalks ringing the slaughterhouse floor.  Either naturally or by tagging “Plenty of Cover”, everyone remained hidden until Tannhauser and Warfield entered the “conveyor belt” zone at the main entrance.  They came heavy this time, with body armor, ballistic face shields, and M4 rifles with C-MAGs.  Carter revealed his position, cradling a decoy 8-Ball and aiming a .410 Judge at the two goons.

Amanda Knox tripped Jimmy’s spell next; the vampiress had crept into the “meat hooks” section of the slaughterhouse unnoticed by everyone but Jimmy.  Carter told the goons the 8-Ball was more trouble than they wanted and tossed it down to them.  Amanda made a beeline for the decoy artifact but Warfield noticed her!  Combat started, and as was to be expected, Knox acted first.  Luckily for Warfield, his combination of body armor and fairly impressive array of Endurance stunts got him off with simple stress from Amanda’s opening strikes.  Her iron-hard claws tore Warfield’s vest down to the strike plate as the big man frantically backpedaled.  Then everyone else shot at the vampire.  Her Red Court toughness powers served her well but she still came out with a minor consequence (“Burning holy buckshot in my back”) and a moderate consequence (“Bleeding out”).  Jimmy “Bit Off More Than He Could Chew” once more and left his cover to go toe-to-toe with both Crowley-Lampkin enforcers and the desperate, wounded Knox.  Tannhauser blocked Jimmy’s advance with some superb suppressive fire while Warfield lost his face shield to another stressful hit from the vampire.  He dealt his own stress in return and moved out into the “meat hooks” zone.  Amanda set her sights on a quick escape, picked up the decoy 8-Ball... and Carter compelled “Weak Floorboards” to have the bullet-riddled floor give way and dump the bitch into the basement.  Jimmy disarmed Tannhauser with a forceful Spirit evocation maneuver, throwing a phantasmal tomahawk into the thug’s arm and sending the rifle sliding across the floor.

At this point, Warfield had almost reached his stress limit and Tannhauser was unarmed.  Their presumed objective was in the hands of a pissed-off vampire whose exact position was unknown, and a crazy tomahawk-wielding maniac was bearing down on them.  Tannhauser and Warfield ran for the door.

Carter covered the scene from the catwalk while Scott grabbed Tannhauser’s rifle.  Jimmy made his way through the slaughterhouse to the basement steps and when he didn’t spot Amanda, started drawing a magic circle at the top of the stairs.  I figured it was either for intimidation purposes or to use Amanda’s blood (her “Bleeding Out” consequence) to actually nuke her if she stayed hidden.  There was a brief exchange of wordplay where Amanda recognized Jimmy (a compel on “There’s More Than One Way to Stake A Vampire”) and tried to bait him downstairs, knowing he was hot-headed and prone to charging in.  Jimmy paid off the compel and Amanda figured out she had a decoy 8-Ball.  Now she was really pissed, but I compelled her “Bleeding Out” to both give her a FP as well as keep her downstairs and unable to use the distraction of Tannhauser and Warfield returning to their SUV, rearming, and opening up on the outside of the slaughterhouse with more automatic fire!

Both gunmen applied Aspects (“Flying Lead” and “Hail of Bullets”).  Scott opened up with his pilfered weapon to apply “Friendly Fire... Isn’t” as well.  The next round everyone rolled attacks.*(1)  Carter had to tag “There’s a Way Out” to avoid the desperate blind fire and Tannhauser soaked some hits between his stress track and his armor.  Then I compelled everyone with “Out of Ammo” due to my bungled handling of the blind-fire.  Carter snuck out of the slaughterhouse and spotted the two gunmen hunkered down behind their vehicle, discussing their miserable options.  Smirking, Carter applied two maneuvers (“Flanked” and “Keys in the Ignition”) against Tannhauser and Warfield’s Alertness.  He tagged them both on a wildly successful Drive roll and ran both men down with their own SUV!  They conceded immediately after that and limped away in Knox’s Subaru. Tannhauser got off lightly with a “Crushed Foot” but Warfield was left with “Severe Internal Bleeding”.

Speaking of Knox, she cashed in that Fate Point for missing her ambush opportunity during the mad minute and tagged “Weak Floorboards”.  Amanda’s blood-spattered hands punched up through the floor and dragged Scott into the basement!  Jimmy abandoned any thought of magic use and charged downstairs (a Compel on “Crusader” to help his friend).  As it turns out, Amanda Knox was the one biting off more than she could chew.  Scott had Holy Touch and used it to invoke a single stress on Amanda.  She only had one stress box open, however, and had to use her Severe Consequence slot to soak it down to nothing!  Scott got both hands around the Red Courtier’s face and pressed his thumbs into her eye sockets.  The beast’s flesh mask fell away under the blue-white flare of Scott’s power and her face bubbled and burnt (“Holy Thumbs in My Eyes!”).  Jimmy Pale Wolf got the kill a moment later, neatly separating the vampire’s head from her body.

Carter rejoined his comrades and we stopped the adventure there with a compel from the Magic 8-Ball: that Carter would forget which one was the real one amidst the toy ones they bought.  He bought it off.

The next adventure will hopefully see the gang traveling into the NeverNever on a heavy metal pilgrimage to destroy the Magick 8-Ball before those who seek it can recover it - and before the temptation to use it overcomes them!

*(1) The blind-fire scenario I bungled I got straightened out over here. http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23670.0.html
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 10:59:00 PM by admiralducksauce »

Offline Nybor_USMC

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2011, 08:13:33 AM »
Wow, Just Amazing. Keep it coming  ;D

Offline Smith

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2011, 09:50:15 AM »
I'm glad I marked this "Un-read" after the first time I stumbled across it. Great Story, I'm kind of jealous I'm not playing in it. ^_^
Can't wait for the next installment.

Offline admiralducksauce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2011, 01:49:25 AM »
Session 3
Bill, Clay, Scott, and Carter
Reward: Significant Milestone

THEN
With a shout of “THEN!” (the time-honored Supernatural method), I recapped the previous session and explained how Bill and Clay met back up with Scott, Carter, and Jimmy (he’s there but only as a means to get from point A to point N - you’ll see).  Their mission?  Find a way into the NeverNever, make their way to the River Lethe, the ancient Greek underworld waterway of forgetfulness, and drop the cursed Magick 8-Ball into the river before it makes Carter forget something that’ll get him killed.

NOW
We talked about how the gang was going to get from their rendezvous point in Wyoming into the NeverNever.

Option 1: Road trip to Alaska, where there’s a direct link to the River Lethe.  The disadvantage to this is that Crowley-Lampkin’s retrieval specialists would be out looking for the 8-Ball, and after what happened to Tannhauser and Warfield in Dewayo Falls, they’re not gonna be opening with tranquilizer guns this time.  Furthermore, it’s a long way to drive, and Carter would need constant supervision lest he forget who he was traveling with or what red lights meant.

Option 2: Figure out somewhere close in the mortal realm that would get them close to the Lethe in the NeverNever, then trek across whatever fairyland they dropped into.  The upside was that they wouldn’t have to deal with police, wrecked hotel rooms, or enemies who knew who they were and what they carried.  The cons were generally that the NeverNever was going to try to eat them.  They chose the NeverNever.

After that, we had a “gearing up” montage.  Crowbars!   Chains!  Pipes!  Fireplace pokers!  Tire irons!  Iron knuckle dusters!  Iron filings!  Steel buckshot!  5.56mm full metal jacket!  Finally, Carter opted for some chainmail freshly stolen from a local Ren Faire (I called it Armor:2, only applicable to attacks it would reasonably stop, and it could eat one Mild consequence, after which it’s ruined).  The other guys eschewed modern or medieval armor and mocked Carter for looking like the villain from Commando.

Scott, with what proves to be a wise decision, also opted to bring beer.  Carter glued iron filings all over the 8-Ball and dropped it into a sack.  Items of Power are unbreakable, and Carter vowed to brain something with his improvised blackjack before the night is through.  Thusly girded for battle, our heroes picked a place that should end up close to the Greek underworld once they crossed over: Elmwood Cemetery, in Detroit’s Greektown Historical District, right off the Detroit River.

The gang was enroute to Motor City in the middle of the night (“Clear Sky, Lonely Roads” scene aspect) when I started compelling Carter via the 8-Ball to forget who these people are he’s driving next to.  He bought it off but it was clear that he’d have to give ground eventually.  Oh, and also there was a Denarian tailing them in a big black pickup.  This was Pantagruel, Bill’s former landlord, and he had been on Bill’s trail since that snallygaster incident in Pennsylvania (“Denarians on My Trail” compel!).  Here’s what the PCs knew about him:

Pantagruel
Denarian Loremaster (HC)
Starscream Syndrome (T)
Powers: Superhuman Toughness, Superhuman Recovery, Wings, Evocation, Hellfire

I was very proud of my players for what they did next.  Everyone but Scott set up maneuvers (most against Pantagruel’s not-so-hot Driving skill) like “He’s Taken the Bait”, “Distracted”, and so on, then Scott blew out the Denarian’s tires and the truck did an A-Team death spiral off an overpass.  It hit the secondary road underneath, rolled into the concrete overpass supports, and exploded!  The gang continued on into Detroit as (a little while later) Pantagruel took to the sky trailing ash behind him, now in his natural state of lanky demonic owlbear thingy.

The PCs arrived at Elmwood Cemetery without further interruption and Jimmy opened a portal into the NeverNever.  As for Jimmy, he stayed in the real world because Jimmy’s player wasn’t there.  He uh... I dunno, Pantagruel ran him off or something.  The gang also forgot to bring the assault rifles they took from Tannhauser and Warfield last session, so we decided that Jimmy was also keeping those while he did... whatever he was doing.

Brütal
Right, so the gang landed about midway up Mount Erebus.  Not the one in Antarctica, the one in the Greek underworld.  The sky was gray and red and the mountain itself was made of bones and it was all very, very metal album.  They could hear the roar of a river flowing down the mountain but more importantly, they could see across the expanse of pallid wasteland stretching before them.  The great marsh of Acheron would be a major hurdle, and beyond that, the fields of Asphodel where the mediocre dead toiled their afterlives away in limbo.  Near the horizon, the glittering waters of the River Lethe separated Asphodel from the bladehenges and majestic memorials of Elysium.

Despite their best efforts to kill themselves with shitty Survival checks, the gang made their way to the foothills of Mt. Erebus without going near the river I alluded heavily to (which was the Styx).  They now stood facing an overgrown, mossy graveyard of monolithic eroded statues and temples half-buried in the soil.  Shades and spectres drifted overhead while small satyrs and other dionysian creatures scampered away from the iron-toting, weapon-draped, still-living newcomers.  That made it all the more surprising when a beautiful young woman called out to them from the river they had been avoiding thus far.  She keyed in on Carter, who carried the 8-Ball, but with a good Deceit roll he convinced the siren that she was only picking up on his two magic rings.  Nonplussed, the woman offered to lead the party as far as Asphodel in exchange for Carter’s baubles.  When that offer was rejected, she upped the ante to “pleasure everlasting”.  Carter took a Mild consequence, “Ain’t been laid in a long time”, and the siren went after Clay next.  She had no use for Bill (“tainted by the Fallen!” she accused) or Scott (“claimed by the White God!”). Bill decided the woman would have them killing each other for her amusement before too long and simply shot her in the face.

The first will love you, the second will deceive you, and the third will show you the way.
    -The Sword, “Tres Brujas”

The gang skulked into the graveyard of colossi, pausing here and there to Stealth around some centaur hunting parties.  The monoliths began to thin out when the baying of hounds drew the gang’s interest.  Bill rolled well on a Lore check and identified them as Black Shucks, Hellhounds, Barghests... not in any way native to this part of the NeverNever.  Someone was following them and they brought beasties with them.  Bill and Carter clambered up a giant statue’s head while Scott and Clay prepared to defend Carter from ground level.  Five hellhounds crept out of the shadows around the ruins and Pantagruel landed on a sunken temple roof just out of buckshot range.  He was in full demon form again, and his denarian owl-eyes blazed like green searchlights.

Caught You Monologuing
Pantagruel made the typical villainous offers.  “You don’t realize the power you’re throwing away.  Think of the good you could do.  Think of all the questions you could ask the artifact.  ‘How can I kill Nicodemus?’  ‘How can a denarius be destroyed?’  ‘Where is the nearest vampire lair?’”  The PCs’ responses were slightly more succinct, and combat was joined.  Pantagruel told his demon dogs to retrieve the 8-Ball and flew off, confident everything would go to plan.  Five dead hellhounds later, the gang reached the edge of the marshy Acheron just in time for... centaurs!  The centaur hunting party, drawn by the sounds of battle, finally found this group of iron-toting outsiders and gave chase!  The PCs ran, and then they waded into the muck, and then they splashed and swam.  Scott spotted a ferry on its way, but the centaurs were gaining on them.  Centaurs have better Athletics than humans, as it turns out, and Bill was an old man.  Also, Carter forgot why he was running.  So the centaurs (armed with bows and spears) caught up to the group of humans (armed with motherfucking shotguns).  Centaurs are dumb, dumb creatures, and that is why when Charon’s ferry reached the shore and the old, beared boatman demanded payment for passage, Carter happily rolled the dead centaurs for cash and handed it over to Charon.  This was a compel on “Why Buy When You Can Steal?”, and the complication is that Carter is now going to be hunted by ghost centaurs who were never able to pass onto their eternal rewards.

Booze Cruise
Remember that beer Scott brought?  Well, Charon turned out to be an okay guy.  He didn’t care about their 8-Ball.  He hadn’t gotten any living people on his boat for millenia, so he was happy to shoot the shit and down some beers on the way to Asphodel.  It was raucous enough that we placed the scene aspect “Booze Cruise” on Charon’s ferry.

And that is why I love FATE.

The gang reached the opposite shoreline: the Asphodel Meadows.  This was an idyllic but plain land of gray vineyards, modest homes, dusty roads, and prairies upon prairies of pallid asphodel flowers, the primary food source of the locals.  Speaking of the locals, the smattering of dead bystanders were all looking at the living men like in Inception when the crowds start all... noticing the intruders.  This was interrupted by a compel on that Booze Cruise.  A group of satyrs and fauns (yes, one had a goddamn knit scarf) had heard these mortals had beer and the little goat-men were sick and tired of having nothing to drink but asphodel wine.  They all had cudgels, and there was quite the mob of them.

The First Rule of Gruff Fight Club
Clay took the situation from an impending riot down to a more civilized trial by combat.  He’d fist-fight the satyrs’ best guy.  If Clay won, the satyrs would lead the group across Asphodel to the River Lethe.  If the satyr champion won, they’d get the beer.  Mr. Tumnus came back with an eight-foot-tall Gruff.  A circle of power was drawn in the sand and the brawl began!  Clay spent a lot of Fate avoiding Gruff’s meaty fists, and both fighters used maneuvers and tagged aspects like “sandy ground” and “unstable footing”.  Gruff had a load of stress, but Clay was actually wearing him down, while Clay’s ridiculous Stunts kept his own damage to just stress, even with Gruff’s Inhuman Strength.

The second will deceive you...

As the fight raged on, another beautiful woman sidled up to Carter, although this one was older, like a cougar-MILF.  She got as far as an introduction before Scott stepped between them, offering his hand in greeting.  The woman failed her Empathy roll to see through Scott’s Deceit, so when they joined hands Scott lit the bitch up like a road flare with Holy Touch.  True to his word, Carter brained her with the 8-Ball-in-a-bag while she jerked and twitched and screamed and burned.  Wonderful Intimidation rolls from Bill and Scott kept the satyrs back, and since nobody actually interfered with the fight between Clay and Gruff, no harm, no foul.

Meanwhile, Clay managed to knock off all but one of Gruff’s stress as well as kick in one of his little goat legs.  The big bastard conceded with honor, Clay accepted, and Scott gave Gruff (and Gruff alone) the beer.  Between the smouldering corpse of the siren-witch, the beating Clay doled out to Gruff, and the respect Gruff had for the mortals, the satyrs agreed to the spirit of their agreement this time.  Their original plan was to call out the PCs on the agreement, saying they never agreed to lead them along a path they could follow nor at a speed they could maintain, but when the alternatives range from buckshot to cracked skulls to being lit on fire, Mr. Tumnus and his friends found it safer to keep their word.

I Don’t Need to See Clear to Fracture Your Rear
The satyrs skipped and danced around the gang as they hiked across the rolling hills and tall asphodel prairies.  Elysium’s sunshine and monoliths were close now, but before their quest could end, Pantagruel returned with some local muscle: three goddamn Gorgons!

Scott dealt a ridiculous amount of Intimidation social stress to the Gorgons based on the party’s rampage-to-date through the underworld, and they all took a “Scared Shitless” consequence.

Pantagruel tried a direct compel on Carter’s “Good, Bad, I’m the Guy with the Goods” aspect.  He even offered the poor guy a denarius, power to go with the ultimate knowledge he already carried.  Carter bought off the compel with his next-to-last Fate Point so Pantagruel shot him with a lightning bolt.  Carter took the hit like a man, although it cost him his last Fate Point and his chainmail armor, which welded into a single mass and fell to the ground.  Even after all that, Carter was still left with a Mild consequence “Don’t Tase Me, Bro!”.

The Gorgons attacked, but I compelled them to start with the poor satyrs (“See?!  We’re helping!” one shouted up at her master).  One of the vile medusas ate shotgun right off the bat, taking almost enough stress to put her down.  Bill made a Lore maneuver to place “Blind-Fighting” (sticky) on the scene, which I compelled to great effect to have the heroes miss their targets.  It didn’t stop Clay from going to melee with a Gorgon.  The monster made a successful maneuver to start a grapple and realized that now Clay knew where she was.  Clay headbutted the snakebitch to the ground and kicked her skull in over the next few exchanges, all while keeping his eyes wide shut.

Carter brought out his shiny ghost knife from the first session and tried to angle it so the second Gorgon saw her own reflection.  He accepted some FP to miss a few times, then spent a FP to compel the Gorgon’s High Concept to get her to look at the mirrored knife.  I thought that was badass, and she was just a mook, so hell yes she looked at her own reflection and petrified.

The last Gorgon tried to skedaddle but Scott shot her in the back.

Caw!  Caw!  Bang! Fuck! I’m Dead!
That left Bill to face off against Pantagruel.  Bill raised his .410 Judge, aimed, and... I compelled his “Bad Eyes, Good Shotgun” to miss his nemesis.  I learned that generally my villains come to regret me handing FP to Bill.  For his part, Pantagruel failed to explode Scott and Carter with hellfire.  Bill retorted by dumping three FP into a shot that left Pantagruel with “Tattered Wings” even after his Supernatural Toughness.  Pantagruel healed that Minor consequence up and once again failed to explode anyone of consequence.  Pantagruel’s dice hated him.

At this point, Bill had somewhere around 9-10 FP sitting in front of him.  He used one on a declaration.  Much like Jack Sparrow, Bill’s kept a second gun on him loaded expressly for Pantagruel.  Blessed bullets, relic powder-filled hollow-points, the whole nine yards.  I allowed it of course, because that 1) made sense and 2) was awesome.  Bill drew Owlfucker from his shoulder rig and dumped three more FP into a shot.

Ouch.  I should have seen that one coming.  Now Pantagruel was sporting a Moderate consequence called “This one ain’t healing up!!!”.  He tried to blow Bill up with more hellfire but the old bastard knew Pantagruel’s style (invoking “Former Host of Pantagruel” to get out of the way).  It didn’t help that Pantagruel couldn’t roll positive numbers either.

Bill didn’t look back at the explosion behind him.  He just walked away in slow motion, dumped more FP into another attack, and tagged Pantagruel’s consequence to boot.  Pantagruel had just enough stress left to survive it with just a Mild slot (“Riddled with Buckshot”), and on his turn tried to concede.  We agreed that Pantagruel would fly away, but it’d be known he broke some Accord somewhere by being down here and he wouldn’t return this session.

Get Thee Behind the 8-Ball
The only thing between the gang and the River Lethe was a Survival check to navigate through the asphodel without running afoul of someone or something else (because all their satyrs were statues now), but the Magick 8-Ball knew it was going to die.  Carter was out of FP so I compelled him to forget who these scary, armed people were who were with him.  He’d better run for it.

And so they dragged Carter to the banks of the Lethe.  Carter used the one FP he got from running to resist the final compel and toss the artifact into the river.  It disappeared with a plop, but it didn’t just disappear from sight - it disappeared in the most absolute sense of the word.  It was erased from memory - everyone’s memory.

And the third will show you the way.

The gang stood on the banks of the Lethe, less battered than I expected but with perhaps only 3 Fate Points between the four of them.  They couldn’t figure out why the hell they were in the NeverNever in the first place.  They of course remembered leaving a trail of dead fucking fairies through the underworld, they remembered Pantagruel, they just didn’t remember the... what was it again?

They watched an old woman approach them.  The crone pushed a wooden cart filled with all manner of trinkets and magical fetishes, and when she got close she bowed her head to the “heroes” and beseeched:

“I’ve been talking with the pantheon and they’d all like you to please, please leave now.  Please.  I would be happy to show you the way home.”

And so it was that our four mighty mortals traveled to the underworld in search of no treasure, undertook a quest forgotten as soon as it was completed, and returned to a public records cube farm in a plain government building overlooking the Detroit River.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 01:56:57 AM by admiralducksauce »

Offline Smith

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2011, 09:34:54 AM »
Absolutely bad-assed. I had to laugh at one point, because I've put the consequence "Don't Taze me, Bro" on an NPC in my game. I have to say, your Highway Hellions have some rather epic adventures and again... I can't wait for the next installment!

Offline admiralducksauce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2011, 12:54:41 PM »
Thanks!  It was a perfect combination of planning but not TOO much planning on my part and running the game in the "sleepy time slot" after a pretty long Mutants & Masterminds game.

Lessons learned!
1.  There is no Supernatural Toughness for social combat!  The two hostile encounters with the triple goddesses/sirens/witches were more brutal mechanically than any of the physical fights.
2.  There was way more social rolls/maneuvering/trickery than I expected in the session, which is awesome, and they all served to further the (unspoken but apparently implicitly agreed on) goal of killing every son of a bitch in the NeverNever.  Even more awesome.  Except for Charon.  He was cool.
3.  It's hard to compel Aspects about kleptomania when it's all going to turn into ectoplasm when you leave.
4.  I think I judged the opposition better this time around.  I'm not looking to murder anyone, but considering the low numbers of FP they left with, I think I did a pretty good job.  Bill ended up with so many FP because he's a pure mortal with NO stunts at all, and his nemesis was the recurring villain this time so it was easy to compel Bill.

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2011, 05:27:27 PM »
I'm loving the Metalocalypse/Brutal Legend vibe.
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Offline Nybor_USMC

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2011, 05:56:13 PM »
HOLY COW!
Loved it. I like the blend of Supernatural and Dresden you got going.
And Everyone seems to be doing there job. Fantastic!
Can't wait till next episode. oh oh maybe there will be a seductive Demon, Like Ruby.

Offline admiralducksauce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2011, 09:39:50 PM »
Session 4
Bill, Clay, Scott, and Carter
Reward: Minor Milestone

NOW
A battered orange sedan cruised through the Southwest desert.  Its driver's eyes were red with fatigue, but the loaded briefcase, fashionable but worn suit, and small luggage marked him as a hard-working salesperson with a client to get to, the time of night be damned.  Dregs of coffee swished around in the near-empty cup as the man's head nodded-

BRAAAAAAAAAHHH!  A semi truck car carrier's horn blared, the orange car jerked back onto the right lane, and the steel behemoth narrowly missed the little sedan.  A few miles later, the salesman stopped at the first gas station he found.  He exited the all-night shop with a fresh coffee in his still-shaking hands only to spy the car carrier lurking at the top of the hill leading down to the little gas station.

The man got a bad feeling.  A real bad feeling.  He rushed to his car, his coffee forgotten.  His shaking hands can't put the gas pump away right; it clattered to the ground.

The truck accelerated down the hill.  The horn blared again, a battle cry in the desert night.  The salesman's car wouldn't turn over.  Of course it wouldn't.  Why would it?  He knew he shouldn't have skipped his inspection before he started on his business road trip and now this insane trucker was going to ram hi-

The fireball was visible for miles.

OPENING TITLE!
They weren't omens so much as oddities, strange vehicular homicides linked by the common thread of Route 66 and the complete lack of any debris from the other vehicle.  The gang was putting asphalt between them and Detroit, and this... whatever it was was along their way to greener pastures out west.  It was sunset on a lonely stretch of desert road when they spotted 2 Arizona highway patrol cars and an ambulance hailing from the town of Blankenship crowded around a grisly scene.  Someone had wrapped - or something had wrapped - a minivan around a cellphone tower.  The cops eyed the approaching bikers with some suspicion but Carter and Bill distracted them by acting like they're having some ill-timed bike trouble.  Clayton just plain intimidated the police into leaving them be.  Meanwhile, Scott approached the meatwagon and discovered that while one of the men ("Reed") was amiable and chatty, the other man ("Otis") was... not human.  This was a Compel on "On a Mission From God" in the style of Frailty.  Scott saw a fanged, hungry demon wearing an Otis-suit, and the gang backed off to tail the ambulance to the medical examiner's office on outskirts of Blankenship, AZ.  With a zero-shift success, they only barely kept from alerting Otis to their intentions, but they did arrive at the coroner's in time to see Reed and Otis roll a mangled dead woman in a bag into the side door.

Grisly Fates Befall People Wearing Name Tags
Carter stole a paramedic's uniform and styrofoam cooler from an ambulance and walked in the front door.  He managed to bluff his way past Phil, the desk guard, with a story about Otis and Reed "forgetting bits of the dead woman" while brandishing his cooler.  Scott's the next one in.  He wore a (his?) priest's collar and was much better at the various social skills than Phil was at seeing through deception.  After all, what harm could a priest do?

Scott figured he'd have Carter for backup, but the thief was already rummaging through the employees' lockers, so Scott (again, on a mission from god and not about to stop to wait for his larcenous friends) kicked open the morgue door in time to see Reed typing up a report on the corner computer terminal.  He was oblivious (either intentionally or not) to Otis ripping huge chunks out of the corpse and eating them.  Otis was fast, and dodged away from Scott's initial attempt at a Holy Touch WWF move.  Otis maneuvered himself so Scott wouldn't be able to watch both him and Reed at the same time, so Scott decided to remove Reed from the situation.  Otis called for Reed's help but Scott made eye contact first and initiated a soulgaze.  He saw barbed wire binding Reed's mouth, throat, and limbs.  His eyes were puppeteered by similar more subtle barbs.  His ears were muffled with great metal plates bolted to his skull.  Chains that went overhead and out of Scott's view moved Reed like a marionette.  Scott resisted the urge to look at anything else (the Sight?  In a morgue?  With a demon in there?  Good idea, Scott!) and closed his God-given holy sight.  Reed's poor mind had had enough, though, and the poor guy fell over and drooled.

Carter finally joined the fray in time to get tangled up with a fleeing Otis-demon.  That slowed the creature down long enough for Scott to grab him, and then he and Carter beat the shit out of Otis and stuck him in the morgue cooler that was meant for the half-eaten corpse.  They opened the side door for Bill and Clay and the gang set about properly containing Otis for an interrogation.  My favorite detail here was Bill declaring he had dirt from the grave of an man executed for a crime he didn't commit, which he spread out on the ground underneath Otis.  Otis wasn't too bright and wasn't too proud; the gang learned that Otis was eating the people that this evil truck killed and somehow converting them into fuel.  He was, as far as he knew, the only one who did this.  He called the truck a "runaway horse" but not even Bill could figure out exactly WHAT it was.  It was something new, even for Bill.  Scott burned Otis with holy flame and the gang headed outside-

BRAAAAAH-BRAAAAAAAAH!  The Bad Truck's horn sounded, and the semi car carrier smashed through the morgue's little entrance foyer on its way to crush our heroes!

Bad Truck
The Peterbilt of Sin
Hulking Size
Inhuman Strength
Living Dead
Supernatural Toughness (Catch: Holy Stuff and High Explosives)

Bad Truck's initial attack was a two-part Drive against Athletics test.  Failing the first check meant that the hunter in question couldn't reach his bike in time and had to somehow avoid a direct attack from Bad Truck.  I compelled Bill and Carter to fail the first roll.  Scott failed outright, but Clay reached his bike.  Bad Truck tried to crush the puny humans in front of it but this time the PCs, through luck or FATE, got out of the way.  Scott rolled to the side, Bill threw himself flat, and Carter leapt onto Bad Truck's cab!  Bill followed suit as the trailer passed over him and boarded the rear with all the junked sedans and light trucks rattling around.

Carter weaseled his way into the cab to find that Bad Truck was indeed driving itself.  He tried the brakes - the brakes were out.  He tried to steer the truck, but against Bad Truck's Inhuman Strength, Carter's Mediocre muscles were useless.  Bad Truck didn't want Carter inside, though, and decided that it was harder than the squishy human.  Bad Truck crashed through the morgue's guard station and out the other side, splattering poor Phil in the process.  Scott and Clay took off after Bad Truck as the mean machine motored towards Blankenship's busy evening "strip".  Families getting fast food, lines of cars leaving grocery stores, and teens going to the movies formed a maelstrom of potential victims that Bad Truck couldn't ignore.  I ruled that Bad Truck would reach the intersection ahead in 3 turns.

Road Warriors
Unfortunately for Bad Truck, Carter survived the attempt to kill him.  Unfortunately for Carter, leaning out of the driver's side door and trying to hit the gas tank proved just as useless.  Clay, however, did manage to tag the gas tank, which spouted dark red, sticky fluid - dead mens' blood.  Bad Truck released one of the cars from the trailer, trying to block Scott and Clay from getting alongside it, but the two bikers swerved around the spinning, crumpling Taurus.  Bill tried to make his way up to the front, but his Denarian-wracked body gave out and it was all Bill could do to just hold on.

Clay invoked "Where Did You Come By That?" for effect and produced a hand grenade, then Maneuvered into "Bad Truck's Blind Spot".  Bill burned some FP and made it up to the front of the truck and squeezed holy water from a sports bottle into the holed gas tank.  Blue-white flame geysered from the truck and it made that horrible roaring downshifting noise that trucks make on the highway, especially when you're almost asleep after a long day.  Scott pulled up in close opposite from Clay and tried (and failed) to hit the gas tank again.  Bad Truck ran over everything it could to jostle Carter inside and keep its vulnerable parts from being too easy to hit.

Bad Truck was real close to racking up four tens' worth of Gourangas.  The guys had to go balls out and hit the thing hard or not only would innocent blood be on their hands, Carter (at least) would end up getting photographed as the apparent driver of the big rig as it ran the red light!  Bill clambered inside one of the cars on Bad Truck's trailer as Clay, "In Bad Truck's Blind Spot", shoved the grenade between the gas tank and the wheel well.  Carter snagged the grinning skull shifter knob from Bad Truck's gearshift and leapt out of the cab! Luckily, Carter landed in a freshly-mulched line of trees along the strip mall entrance.  Scott waited for the explosive to go off.

East Bound and (Going) Down
The frag grenade blew out Bad Truck's right tank in a great gout of gore.  The truck shuddered, twisting metal almost making a screaming noise.  Bill took minimal stress, protected as he was by one of the cars.  With Bad Truck distracted by the grevious damage ("Holed and Shredded" consequence), Scott leapt from his bike and climbed into the cab.  He invoked "On a Mission From God" (for effect), reached blindly behind the driver's seat, and came out with a bigass monkey wrench.  He tagged the ragged, damaged floor and started ripping and smashing his way through to the engine.

Despite the damage they'd dealt, Bad Truck was still heading for the innocents.  Carter held up Bad Truck's stolen shifter knob and whistled.

The truck downshifted, slowed, and turned.  Bill started making the biggest, oiliest mess he could out of the cars on the back of the carrier.  As Bad Truck turned Bill managed to get a good-sized slick over the entire area.  When Bad Truck gunned it for Carter, Carter burned his last FP and rolled out of the way.  Bad Truck tried to turn, jackknifed, and slid to a momentary halt ("Jackknifed" consequence).  It was just enough time for Scott to offer a quick prayer to the White God and jam that monkey wrench into Bad Truck's shaking, roaring diesel engine of destruction.  The gang got the hell out of the way as Bad Truck's cab shook itself to pieces like a brick in a washing machine.  They then got the hell out of Blankenship - yet another town they couldn't return to, a town whose inhabitants never knew that for one night, their sleepy suburb was a truck stop on the Highway to Hell.

Safe inside Carter’s pocket, the shifter knob’s little eye sockets glowed.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 09:41:42 PM by admiralducksauce »