Author Topic: Item of power question  (Read 1632 times)

Offline Amseriah

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Item of power question
« on: October 21, 2010, 03:16:10 AM »
is there anything preventing a person from using an item of power as a focus item?

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Item of power question
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2010, 03:26:35 AM »
I don't think so.

Offline MijRai

• Posty McPostington
  • "For my next trick, anvils."
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2010, 03:28:56 AM »
No problem with it. Pretty much anything can be a foci.
Don't make me drop a turkey on you...

DV MijRai v1.2 YR 1 FR 1 BK+++ JB+ TH++ !WG CL SW BC+ RP++++ MC+++ SHMolly++;Murphy+

Offline Ryan_Singer

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2010, 03:37:03 AM »
Not at all. It can also contain the refinement power, and even have enchanted item slots. It'd be easy to create an item of power that had spellcaster's most powerful abilities.

Offline MijRai

• Posty McPostington
  • "For my next trick, anvils."
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2010, 04:48:09 AM »
Actually, an IoP should not have Refinement. A Staff or Robe IoP with +2 Rebate would give 3 Refinement for the Price of one, and it would be difficult to keep track of what the refinement went to. A GM has the ability to accept or deny any non-Creature Feature power from being used as an IoP, if they so choose.
Also, an enchanted item is a seperate item, not a modified tool. I'd say no on that.

I wouldn't put all of my eggs in one basket anyways.
Don't make me drop a turkey on you...

DV MijRai v1.2 YR 1 FR 1 BK+++ JB+ TH++ !WG CL SW BC+ RP++++ MC+++ SHMolly++;Murphy+

Offline Belial666

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2010, 06:22:32 AM »
An IoP should not give refinement for the reason already mentioned; refinement is a variable ability. Who judges whether the IoP would give you extra item slots, more specialization or act as a focus?

On the other hand, there is no reason an IoP cannot give a fixed refinement-based bonus. There are countless examples of such items in fantasy; a book of shadows that gives you esoteric knowledge to craft powerful potions. A staff that acts as a powerful focus for your magic. A crystal sword (that isn't a sword) that gives a huge boost to your innate ability to call and control power.