Author Topic: Character concept issues  (Read 4025 times)

Offline Richard_Chilton

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Character concept issues
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2010, 04:41:46 PM »
Yes, ignorance can be cured...

That essay in Houses of the Blooded was a good read since it tried to get to the "why" of "that guy".  I'm not saying it's worth the price of the book, but if you happen to see it in a gaming store it's worth 'browsing' that part.

Richard

Offline eberg

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2010, 09:47:44 PM »
This is part of what the group City Creation step is about: getting everybody on the same page as to what sort of game they want to play. Folks can have some ideas, but should walk into this stage with the willingness to tweak, change, or abandon these initial concepts to fit what everyone decides the game and setting are going to be about. Anyone who is resistant this early in is going to be a pain in the ass later and probably shouldn't play. Not with a "you suck, go away" but a "obviously, the sort of game we are running this time doesn't interest you, maybe next time". I've had a lot of games ruined because I kept pandering to someone who had a divergent (often self-centered) idea of what the game should be and I think it's easier on everyone if you just nip it in the bud early on.

Offline mostlyawake

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2010, 11:46:22 PM »
I think the classic example of this is the guy who wants to be evil in the middle of a group of good guys, but somehow expects no party issues. 

Again, city creation is your friend.  If you have one white council wizard, one apprentice wizard, one minor talent PI, and one guy who wants to be a magical ninja assassin clown tree, then you have to sit down at character creation and get a story going as to why the other 3 would ever choose to call this guy up and invite him on an adventure.  A story that has to make sense and be cool to FIVE people.

It's a pretty great equalizer, and I wish I had done it more with my group, who somehow went with 2 holy roller angel types and 5 other people lawbreaking... a lot... (and this was with mutual character creation).