Author Topic: Necromancy Spells  (Read 1549 times)

Offline ralexs1991

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Necromancy Spells
« on: October 12, 2010, 11:06:31 PM »
One of the players in my game wants to be a necromancer so he asked my help coming up with spells for his character aside from the usual "lets make a batch of zombies" spell. Any help would be majorly appreciated. thanks
Oh, hi, Mr. Warden!  How are you this fine day?  My, what a shiny sword you have there...

Offline mostlyawake

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Necromancy Spells
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2010, 11:22:05 PM »
I'd allow the law-breaker necro bonus to anything bone related.  For one of my NPCs, i gave him channelling (bone) for this purpose.  Thus, he could do all the normal evoc stuff, as long as he made it out of bones.  Typically, these bones were whatever buried bones were around, which were always enough.    So, his typical block spell looks just like everyone else's mechanically, only he gets a necro bonus to it and bones spring up from the ground and surround him in a swirling blocking pattern.  His attack casts bone shards... ect, ect.

For thaumaturgy, you have in the books: raising the dead back to living, raising the dead to un-living, communicating and handling ghosts... but I don't have much original here. 

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2010, 11:23:11 PM »
As far as attacks there are a lot of possibilities. He could throw around blasts of decay/death, shards of bone or clouds of angry spirits. For blocks I'd go for walls of conjured bones or bone armor, or you could go ramirez style and have a shield of decay/death. Maneuvers could be hands reaching up from the ground to grasp others, or fatiguing people directly with decay/death, aging people supernaturally, or causing them despair by showing them their own death. There are a ton of fun things you can do with necromancy!

Offline ralexs1991

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2010, 11:43:29 PM »
@mostlyawake: I totally love the bone channeling idea!!!!

@sinker: i love the aging people and all the death/ decay evocations :)
Oh, hi, Mr. Warden!  How are you this fine day?  My, what a shiny sword you have there...

Offline Becq

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2010, 12:47:25 AM »
* Claivoyance by way of sending a ghost to the target location, then seeing through the ghost's eyes
* Send messages to your friends via your own personal intangible courier
* Inflict a ghost on a target to cause them to be "Distracted by a Mischievous Poltergeist"
* Travel by way of the creepier portions of the Nevernever
* Gain access to knowledge possessed by your ancestors (or non-ancestors)
* Impress your friends by demonstrating your Weapons prowess while possessed by the ghost of a master swordsman (hope the ghost leaves voluntarily without pulling a Bob)
* See a death that happened at a certain location or that used a certain weapon

Offline mostlyawake

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2010, 12:02:59 AM »
I found the rotes for that necromancer.  Keep in mind that he had discipline/lore 5, necro lawbreaker (+3, due to other lawbreakings), and refinements to his casting that lead him to be a +10 control (because the LB adds to this role), +10 power (more if he was trying kill you) for necro.

Bone Pull (evocation: attack):  This spell is always cast as a single target within the same zone.  It is essentially a straight-forward attack, using a discipline roll as the attack roll.  The spell snatches at the target's bones, attempting to rip them away from the flesh, tendons, and ligaments.  The spell is resisted by endurance.  Consequences of the spell should reflect the nature of the attack (bones jutting through flesh, strained ligaments, detached tendons, ect), and a "taken out" from this spell dramatically causes the target's bones to explode outward through the skin.

Bone Wall (evocation: block): This spell is always cast as a block along one of the borders to the current zone, or across the current zone (dividing it).  Bones rip up from the ground, out of trashcans, sewers, or where ever they may be to form a wall with a height equal to (3 + block strength, in this case totaling 10 feet as 7 shifts are put towards power).  Three shifts are always put towards duration, giving it 4 rounds of effect.  This time is usually used to escape, prep another spell, take cover, or summon allies.

Bone Dust (evocation: maneuver: 2 sticky aspects on zone): This places two sticky aspects of "Clouded with Bone Dust" on the zone, giving the caster two free tags of it.  Effects-wise, local bones give off an immense cloud of dust.

Bone spike (evocation, attack and block): This one is a little more complicated.  2 points goes into a "zone" attack, 1 into distance (cast on the next "zone", 3 into duration, and 4 into an attack, 4 into a block. This is a total of 12 shifts, for which he usually pays a FP (he starts with 10) or uses some other aspect to tag, or takes a consequence.  It creates jutting spikes of bone out of the ground, attacking everyone each round and slowing movement into the zone.  This one i am actually not sure on the numbers, because I think i did it as one spell (paying zone and distance once) for 2 effects, which may need to be paid separately.  Still, it worked for what I wanted - a slightly damaging block that provided some deterrence towards taking a specific way into the area. (It was used to channel the PCs in one direction).