Author Topic: Magic Rules/systems  (Read 2066 times)

Offline matorade

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • jace41
Magic Rules/systems
« on: September 29, 2010, 09:12:52 PM »
What articles and sources have you found very useful as a guideline to help you develop the magic rules/systems for your works?  So far I've found this series an excellent start: http://pymfanasywriter.blogspot.com/2008/10/magic-rules-part-1-types-of-magic.html
Casey: You're looking for this? (gives Chuck his Stanford student ID)
Chuck: You stole my ID?
Casey: I borrowed it to reactivate it. Sorry I couldn't wipe the idiot grin off your face with photoshop.

Offline Enjorous

• Seriously?
  • Prince of the Gutter since 2010
    • View Profile
Re: Magic Rules/systems
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2010, 09:30:37 PM »
I also recommend Sanderson's first law of magic, "The ability to solve problems with magic is directly proportionate to the readers understanding of the magic system." Which applies to that article right there.
Kentucky Fried Shuriken - Finger Lickin' Death.
Quote from: horsehearted
Nah, women are just batshit crazy ALL the time!  :D
87.1% Dresden Pure rank: Nicodemus

Offline jeno

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2010, 09:33:42 PM »
Fantasy World Building Questions by Patricia Wrede

Though the article is about world building in general, there's a section specifically for magic systems.
You think you know how this story is going to end, but you don't. -Christopher Moore

The kraken stirs. And ten billion sushi dinners cry out for vengeance. -Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman

Offline Enjorous

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2010, 09:37:21 PM »
Good find!

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2010, 12:31:46 AM »
Do remember that problem-solving systemic magic is only one of many viable ways of doing magic.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline Enjorous

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2010, 12:48:27 AM »
Could you elaborate on that?

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2010, 01:12:14 PM »
Could you elaborate on that?

Off the top of my head, there's also magic as numinous/mystical, and there's the whole magic-realism thing of dream-logic magic or metaphorical magic.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline Serack

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2010, 11:34:56 PM »
Do remember that problem-solving systemic magic is only one of many viable ways of doing magic.

Actually Sanderson addresses this very thoroughly (just about everything he writes is thorough though) in his explanation of his "First Law of magic"

http://www.brandonsanderson.com/article/40/Sandersons-First-Law

P.S.  Sanderson is now a big time up and coming fantacy author (he was noticed by Robert Jordan's widow for his Mistborn Series and she tapped him to be the Wheel of Time ghost writer) who is well known for his ability to craft very origonal, intricate, and inventive systems of magic.  Elantris and Mistborn were absolutely amaising, I liked the magic system in Warbreaker too, but had a few issues with the plot.  He did an amaising job of breathing new life and vibrance into the Wheel of Time, but I am holding off on reading his "Stormlight Archive" project because I am hesitant to start reading another epic epic fantacy series that requires that I yet again wait a year between each installment.  The Wheel of Time kinda burned me out on that, although I am glad my coworker suckered me into the Dresdenverse :)
« Last Edit: October 15, 2010, 12:30:47 PM by Serack »
DF WoJ Compilation
Green is my curator voice.
Name dropping "Serack" in a post /will/ draw my attention to it

*gnaws on the collar of his special issue Beta Foo long-sleeved jacket*

Offline Serack

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2010, 12:45:19 PM »
I did a search of the forum for threads that mention Sanderson's first law and other than some topics where I commented on it in the DF spoiler section, this thread we are in now, and one other thread in the Author Craft section, there isn't much mention of it.

In the other thread in the Author Craft section is a little old no though, and in it the OP stated that he was pointed to the "First Law" by another helpful thread that must be even older because it appears to have "decayed" off the boards.  I recomend that this section have a sticky topic (not unlike this one) that links to articles on world and magic system building, so that helpful stuff like this is doesn't get lost so easily.
DF WoJ Compilation
Green is my curator voice.
Name dropping "Serack" in a post /will/ draw my attention to it

*gnaws on the collar of his special issue Beta Foo long-sleeved jacket*