Author Topic: Fred Hicks talks about "Rumors From The Paranet"  (Read 24831 times)

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
Re: Fred Hicks talks about "Rumors From The Paranet"
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2011, 02:04:52 AM »
Or Rashid has had plenty of time to prepare and carries around a little enchanted item for that purpose. Lots of possibles.
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

Offline Lash Dresden

• Posty McPostington
  • Loneliness or solitude?
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2011, 02:47:53 AM »
Or Rashid has had plenty of time to prepare and carries around a little enchanted item for that purpose. Lots of possibles.
Does this mean you don't know, or you're not telling?  (Are you getting hooked on Jim's writer's crack?  [singsong] I'm not gonna tell you! [/singsong]) ;)
Everyone on this earth wants to feel like they matter.

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2011, 02:54:04 AM »
Does this mean you don't know, or you're not telling?  (Are you getting hooked on Jim's writer's crack?  [singsong] I'm not gonna tell you! [/singsong]) ;)

I don't know the specific, I just know that Rashid has left some footprints somewhere that will really mystify NASA someday.
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2011, 03:19:29 AM »
I don't know the specific, I just know that Rashid has left some footprints somewhere that will really mystify NASA someday.

Then he's gotten some REALLY cold or REALLY hot feet if his shoes/boots actually contacted the moon's surface. :D
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline vultur

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2011, 06:54:18 AM »
Then he's gotten some REALLY cold or REALLY hot feet if his shoes/boots actually contacted the moon's surface. :D

Maybe he wears thick, or at least insulating, soles.

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2011, 01:52:36 PM »
Maybe the shoes ARE the enchanted item!
Fred Hicks

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2011, 02:40:49 PM »

Hmm. Yes, yes. I need to get back into D&D mode and start figuring out just how much a top wizard CAN be tricked out.

*wanders off distracted*
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline Katarn

• Posty McPostington
  • Morgan- Best Warden ever.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2011, 03:16:10 PM »

*head explodes*

In all seriousness, I see 1 FI, 2 EI.  The focus would be the boots themselves. the enchanted item would be an item that lets you breathe vacuum/supplies air, and an enchanted item with resistance cold or generating heat to let one survive.  If the Gatekeeper is distracted or in a rush, he shouldn't have to stop to use a spell if he's running (unlikely) from something.

Offline Ren

• Seriously?
  • AKA: Renmonster The Horgymeister
    • View Profile
    • The Forbidden Dojo 3-D Art
« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2011, 04:03:30 PM »
It does bring up a question I recently asked myself; somewhere in the DFRPG YS it talks about Teleportation being possible but I can't recall anyone actually using it. I would assume that if any White Council Wizard could do it it would be Rashid...but is there an actual mechanic for how much power that would take? I guess it's really up to the GM but I can only assume it'd be based on the distance traveled, but how does it actually work? Is it a wormhole? Or a cut-through the Never-never that doesn't actually enter into the Never-Never? Something to ponder.
"Brain Makes My Math Hurt" - me

"Eeyore is my Totem Animal" - me

"Pants are overrated!" - me

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2011, 05:16:24 PM »
It does bring up a question I recently asked myself; somewhere in the DFRPG YS it talks about Teleportation being possible but I can't recall anyone actually using it. I would assume that if any White Council Wizard could do it it would be Rashid...but is there an actual mechanic for how much power that would take? I guess it's really up to the GM but I can only assume it'd be based on the distance traveled, but how does it actually work? Is it a wormhole? Or a cut-through the Never-never that doesn't actually enter into the Never-Never? Something to ponder.

Yes, there is a mechanism, but it is prohibitively expensive - basically you need enough shifts for the Athletics check it would need to cross all of the Zones and Zone Borders between point A and B. It's a very simple rule, actually, with an almost exponential Complexity cost. If you want to cross from Zone 1 to Zone 5 (four Zones), each with a Zone Border of 0, you need 4 shifts. If those Zone borders are, say, 2, you suddenly need 12 shifts. If you are teleporting across town, that could be hundreds of "Zones" (as a lowball estimate).

If your GM wants to encourage teleportation, he can be generous about how many Zones there are from point A to B, but otherwise it is terrible expensive.

The preferred method in the setting and the rules is to use Ways in and out of the Nevernever, which is itself an extended challenge. There are no real guidelines for navigating the Nevernever, except that you use your Lore check instead of Survival to get around. Ultimately, jaunts via the Nevernever are plot complication opportunities, so having mathematically defined navigation rules is counter to the spirit of the challenge.
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Offline zaq.hack

• Participant
  • I succeed, therefore I am.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2011, 05:18:04 PM »
@Ren: There's a spot in White Night where it looks like a hole from the Nevernever (similar to how Wizards are suggested to get around), but it has what I would consider D&D Gate-like features. In Changes ... there's someone who looks like he can take a pretty direct path and has the power to pull it off (a non-wizard).

In general, I would assume you would want to "preserve a hospitable environment." That would mean air supply, sure, but that's elemental and easy. Most importantly, it would mean atmospheric pressure, protection from solar radiation, constant/habitable temperature, and more. If he poured the magic into making an "earth-like environment," he would need to capture all of the above; which, to some extent, are all aspects of earth's environment, already.

I think we can all assume Rashid capable of "big thaumaturgy."
The bartender says, "We don't serve faster-than-light particles, here." A neutrino walks into a bar.

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #41 on: February 03, 2011, 05:37:22 PM »
Basically, Rashid just has to create the effect of the spacesuits that astronauts wore on the moon-walk, and even then not particularly long-term -- I don't get the impression it's a LONG walk, just long enough to, y'know, discourage following him. :)
Fred Hicks

Offline Paynesgrey

• Bartender
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 03, 2011, 05:45:35 PM »
"Quickly!  Don't let him escape!  We shall follow the fool wizard back through his rift to the mortal world, and then we'll . . ..  ... ....*POP!!!*

Offline MacShidhe

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 03, 2011, 05:56:05 PM »

Spoiler alert
(click to show/hide)
Full Assed FTW!

DV MacShidhe v1.2 YR2 FR 0.75 BK++  RP++++ JB++ TH+ WG ?CL+ SW BC+ MC SH [Murphy++, Molly--, Elaine -]

NERO Plot Merc - "Have Mod, Will Travel"

Offline Lash Dresden

• Posty McPostington
  • Loneliness or solitude?
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 03, 2011, 05:56:25 PM »
So he's going from somewhere on earth, through the Nevernever to the moon, across the moon briefly, then back into the Nevernever and back to earth.  Taking the long way home as a way to shake off a tail.  But is that the only way to get to his domain, or just the way he chooses to get there?  We need this in a story.  This is good stuff.
Everyone on this earth wants to feel like they matter.