Author Topic: The Snowflake Method  (Read 4321 times)

Offline Ren

• Seriously?
  • AKA: Renmonster The Horgymeister
    • View Profile
    • The Forbidden Dojo 3-D Art
Re: The Snowflake Method
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2010, 04:51:19 PM »
Not sure I'm following on the symetriclaly developed?
I've got the four main characetrs mostly written up but I will probably have to tweak them as I write up inter-related characters. I also added a few more details such as Physical Description, Psychology and Short History (prior to the start of the story). So the Template I am working form looks like this;
•   The character's name
•   A one-sentence summary of the character's storyline
•   Character Description/Appearance
•   Personality and Psychology
•   The character's motivation (what does he/she want abstractly?)
•   The character's goal (what does he/she want concretely?)
•   The character's conflict (what prevents him/her from reaching this goal?)
•   The character's epiphany (what will he/she learn, how will he/she change?
•   Short History (prior to the start of the story)
•   A one-paragraph summary of the character's storyline

I play/played a Samurai Role-Playing Game called "Legend of the Five Rings" which has a beutiful system but more importantly a Character development tool which is a Modified version of "Twenty Questions" which helps flesh out a characetrs history even more (There is also an extended version with another 20 or so questions) . As aprt of playing this game and the Serenity RPG I discovered something called a 3x3x3 which is a quick list of three friends, 3 acquantinces and 2 enemies/rivals. As a GM I asked for them from players prior to game start to help in fleshing out the game world. As a player I used it to help me get a better grap of the characters personality.
I may try using both of those tools on at least the 4 main characetrs to flesh them out some more and maybe a stripped-down version for lesser characters. It would be a lot more work but I beleive it will add a lot of depth as well.
Hrm...now that i think about it I may try to come up with a 20 Quetsions for the Story and World itself as well...
"Brain Makes My Math Hurt" - me

"Eeyore is my Totem Animal" - me

"Pants are overrated!" - me

Figging Mint

« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2010, 05:38:10 PM »
Not sure I'm following on the symetriclaly developed?

I was staying within the OP metaphor.

Big, giant symmetrical snowflakes only develop symmetrical if they are allowed to grow ...very... slowly.    In weather, this generally means there is some sort of strong updraft or something.   Reapplying the OP metaphor to writing, it means you have all the time in the world to write out  ALL your secondary characters to Level 4 before your tertiary characters get to Level 1.

Of course real world fractals have other pressures and other forcing functions to make unsymmetrical results.   Reapplying the metaphor, where you want to take the story and how you want to control the pacing will be just such forcing functions. 

Offline Ren

• Seriously?
  • AKA: Renmonster The Horgymeister
    • View Profile
    • The Forbidden Dojo 3-D Art
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2010, 05:51:45 PM »
Ah okay I see. Asymmetry suits me...8)
Good things is that even my lowest tier characters generally have some basic background, at least in my head, on who they are and where they want to go.

I need to ge me one of them cork-boards that some authors use to organize their web of relationships and plots. A computer is all well and good but I really get tired of sitting in front of the screen as that's all I do at work all day...8P
"Brain Makes My Math Hurt" - me

"Eeyore is my Totem Animal" - me

"Pants are overrated!" - me

Offline SuperflyMD

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2010, 03:10:28 AM »
It doesn't really seem all that different from what Jim recommends on his livejournal page.  I actually copied and pasted some of his methodology breakdown into Template Sheets in Scrivener.  I don't know if it will help my writing, but it was a great way to procrastinate.

SF
I've got two words for you: no.

Tbora

« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2010, 03:38:07 AM »
This guy just seems to be hocking stuff that makes me weary of anything he has to say.