Author Topic: Second Law Mystery  (Read 2007 times)

Offline zerogain

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Dresden Files: Seattle
Second Law Mystery
« on: December 15, 2010, 09:15:25 AM »
I am considering a story where the victim whom my heros must save had been transformed by a warlock. What are some pitfalls involved with this? Would you guys consider changing somebody back to be a violation of the second law?

How about the victim? If the job were incomplete perhaps imperfect. Would you allow a victim to communicate in any particular way or limit them?

Just looking for general input.

Peace
« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 01:59:02 PM by zerogain »

Offline Drashna

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Second Law Mystery
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2010, 10:06:23 AM »
Just recently got into this sort of conversation.   Temporary vs permanent is definitely an important distinction.  But for the most cases, it's going to be permanent.   

"Your Story" mentions that a particularly strong willed person may be able to keep their mind intact for a while after transformation. So (s)he may be able to communicate in very rudementary ways.  But it does destroy their mind sooner or later, and usually sooner.

Maybe your PCs run into the victim while he's transforming.  A smart/skilled PC could quickly place a ward around his mind to prevent him from losing it.  Or maybe the ward just slows the process giving the PCs hours?, days?, weeks? to find a way to remove the curse or track down the warlock and kill him to break it. (26shifts min to permanently transform somebody, vs maybe 10-15 shifts impromptu). Or maybe its just temp because of the ward.

BUt generally speaking, permanent is mind destroying.  And as for changing back, technically, no it's not a violation. The general theme/feeling/"harry's technicalities" (because he uses it often in the books) is that you are not transforming a human. :) 
[qoute='piotr1600']Sure true love will conquer all... You sponsored an instant vision of a tentacled Cthuluoid monstrosity following Elaine around, meeping piteously and making puppy dog eyes at her while she sighs loudly and gently kisses those tentacles...[/qoute]

Offline deathwombat

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2010, 11:47:42 AM »
sounds interesting
what is unpur?
Bad typists untie!!!!

Offline zerogain

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Dresden Files: Seattle
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2010, 02:02:31 PM »
sounds interesting
what is unpur?

Yeah that would be input. I started falling asleep while posting this, so I am quite surprised that is the only real mistake.   :D

Offline Amelia Crane

• Conversationalist
  • Estranged Daughter of Darby Crane
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2010, 08:40:30 AM »
I made one of my character's stories about a wizard violating the second (and sixth) law(s).  So here's my take on it.  http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,22850.msg981602.html#msg981602

Offline sjksprocket

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2010, 09:03:01 PM »
I think that you shouldn't make a blanket statement to the group whether or not transforming the character back is in violation. It seems to me a gray area. let the party stew it over. If it is a violation should we change him back? plus how would his mind suffer the transformation back if the first transformation is so rough? These are all questions that I would have my players stew over, and if you don't mind I would like to steal this idea. Maybe have a warden show up in town when right after the first transformation and have him suspicious of the group. to the warden maybe the group changed him into the being and now there trying to rectify the matter before there caught. And is protecting the mind during the transformation breaking law? You can't go screwing around in a persons brain. I like it. sorry for running on and on, but I think I'm going t run with this idea.
"The door is ajar"

Offline Richard_Chilton

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2010, 06:34:04 PM »
Would it be transforming back or just dispelling the transformation spell?

Very few spells have duration of permanent.  I'd say that the average transformation spell would work with a duration of a human lifespan, which would involve many shifts.  If you remove the spell then the person would turn back....

Then again, I don't have the book handy and transformation might be permanent.  If that is the case, then I'll use my best Emily Litella voice and say "Never mind".

Richard

Offline Drashna

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2010, 07:47:49 PM »
It can be permanent, but it takes a lot more shifts to be so.
[qoute='piotr1600']Sure true love will conquer all... You sponsored an instant vision of a tentacled Cthuluoid monstrosity following Elaine around, meeping piteously and making puppy dog eyes at her while she sighs loudly and gently kisses those tentacles...[/qoute]