Author Topic: Richelle Mead's Work! (Board Member goes pro)  (Read 50775 times)

Offline Starbeam

• Posty McPostington
  • Twitter: @stellamortis
    • View Profile
    • Stella Mortis
Re: Richelle Mead's Work! (Board Member goes pro)
« Reply #180 on: May 18, 2009, 01:13:03 PM »
Just finished "Storm Born", the first of the Dark Swan series (and I am so gonna be dragging myself at work tomorrow, since I stayed up this late to finish it), and I have to say, *THIS* is how Laurell K. Hamiliton's Merry Gentry series should have been done! It's got all the elements (heir to a faery king who's obliged to produce an heir, magical power-ups), but with 90 percent less pr0n (not to say that the love scenes aren't hot-hot-*HOT*, they just don't take up 90 percent of the book).

Don't forget that the main character is also *NOT* interchangeable with the main character of her other series.  Unlike LKH, where you can substute Anita for Merry and not even know the difference.  Aside from one or two mentions of how unhumanly red Merry's hair is.
"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you." Ray Bradbury

Offline Matrix Refugee (formerly Morraeon)

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: May 18, 2009, 07:29:07 PM »
Don't forget that the main character is also *NOT* interchangeable with the main character of her other series.  Unlike LKH, where you can substute Anita for Merry and not even know the difference.  Aside from one or two mentions of how unhumanly red Merry's hair is.

Hee, I knew I was forgetting something, which is likely to happen when I post a review at three in the morning. :: laughs at self::

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: May 29, 2009, 04:19:48 AM »
My Succabus Heat arrived today.  In duplicate from Amazon again!  Arghh.  Rather than return, I'll drop a copy off at the library...  This pre-ordering from Amazon always gets screwed up! 
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess

Offline Starbeam

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Stella Mortis
« Reply #183 on: May 29, 2009, 11:50:56 AM »
I'm gonna pick up my copy at Borders this afternoon.  Was frustrating me the last week or so; I knew there was a book coming out the end of this month, and I had to search through amazon for the different authors I read to figure out it was this one.

Offline Matrix Refugee (formerly Morraeon)

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: May 29, 2009, 11:24:31 PM »
Got mine yesterday, just started reading it...

Offline Starbeam

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Stella Mortis
« Reply #185 on: June 01, 2009, 01:31:18 AM »
Bought it Friday night, finished it Saturday morning.  And now I have to wait til April for the next one.    :-[

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: June 01, 2009, 02:05:10 AM »
yeah, I use the... only so many pages per night crew.  Not sure which is the worst--reading immediately or forcing yourself to read it slowly...
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell

Offline Mij

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Undertown!
« Reply #187 on: June 03, 2009, 04:11:42 AM »
yeah, I use the... only so many pages per night crew.  Not sure which is the worst--reading immediately or forcing yourself to read it slowly...

I usually read a book once through at my normal speed, then go back (if I liked it) and re-read it more slowly.
Your Laundry skill is Poor (-1), and the difficulty here is Great (+4) owing to old machines, poor lighting, and panty-stealing neighbors.  Roll the Fudge Dice, please.

Offline THETA

• Conversationalist
  • Insert evil laugh now
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #188 on: June 03, 2009, 05:31:38 PM »
Succubus Heat was great. 

The line that made me feel the most was when Georgina admitted she didn't want to make immediate peace with Seth out of pride.  I personally could relate.  When a relationship ends, i end it with an ax and refuse to look back.   

My favorite issue addressed was the question of "Why do people have to make deals with the devil to get what they want?  Why can't they make deals with angels too?"

Fantastic and the end wasn't as anticlimactic as the last two.  The last two had such a huge build up and then it had like a four paragraph resolution.  I like books to end with a bang (and not just the romantic one either, i need action).  I also have a weird soft spot for Jerome.  Maybe it's the John Cusack look or how he swings between protecting his people and being an asshole.  I dunno, but i like him and Carter and Hugh. 

One thing i kind of didn't like but was okay with
(click to show/hide)
  It just seemed too convenient.  I'm not a fan, but it could have been worse or stupider.  It was fine really.
The words on the mysterious door read:
"Fancy hearing cake."

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: June 03, 2009, 08:58:37 PM »
About half way through, slowly reading on purpose... no other books coming out until like AUGUST! arghh... 
(click to show/hide)

Offline Noey

• Posty McPostington
  • Life On Planet Pink.
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: June 03, 2009, 10:21:55 PM »
Just read Succubus Heat. Pardon me while I do my fangirl squee dance! * ;D*

I think my favorite thing about the Succubus series is that the characters are so human. They screw up, they make decisions, and I don't necessarily always *like* them when they make certain decisions, but I don't doubt for a second the reasons why they do what they do. They make sense. Wanna shake them sense, sometimes, but sense nonetheless.

(click to show/hide)
You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me. - C.S. Lewis