Author Topic: Curious about Conflict  (Read 1931 times)

Offline blgarver

• Conversationalist
  • There are three things all wise men fear...
    • View Profile
    • Video Samples
Curious about Conflict
« on: March 05, 2007, 03:39:42 PM »
Alright, so one thing that has always fascinated me in reading, and totally stumped, perplexed, and frankly just intimidated me in writing,  is the concept of raising the stakes.

I can write conflict.  I can set it up.  I can throw things at the MC from all directions.  What I find difficult is how the hell to get him out the conundrums I put him in.  I mean, I wouldn't be smart, strong, or resourceful enough to wiggle my way out of some of the stuff, so how can i expect my character - a child born out of my intelligence and ignorance alike - to overcome these things?

Harry Dresden, for instance...how in the name of your chosen diety does Butcher come up with ways for Harry to succeed?  Albeit it's at some cost, but Harry always gets out of the tight pinch when it's certain he's going to get shanked.  And the amazing thing about it is that it doesn't seem forced or like the writer cheated.  It's not like Butcher just saved the character because he's the writer and rules Harry's world.  Harry always pulls through on his own.

But, in reality, Butcher had to think of that solution, and then write it.  I find that difficult to do in my own writing.  I build up all this stuff, and then I'm not real sure how the character is going to get out of it and make it believable within the scope of the setting.

Where do you guys come up with solutions to the really hairy situations your characters get into?  Do you start at a solution and then work backwards?
I'm a videographer by trade.  Check out my work if you're a writer that needs to procrastinate.  Not as good as Rhett and Link, but I do what I can.
http://vimeo.com/user1855060/videos

Offline Josh

• Participant
  • Scriptor dementis
    • View Profile
    • Through a glass, darkly
Re: Curious about Conflict
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2007, 05:07:47 PM »
I'd say there are quite a few ways to approach this, and I've at least used a dozen of them myself. Sometimes you can use character and reader ignorance to your advantage. You as the author know everything about your world, your story, and so on. Or at least, you know more than anyone else does. Therefore, you can see the solution presented to your character, while your character and readers remain in the dark about it (maybe catching a few glimpses along the way) until this solution springs to light at the critical point.

One other thing to recognize runs along the same lines of thought. Realize that you have a unique perspective on your story. It's all in your head first. You developed these characters, their world, their magic, or science. You know the angles, and therefore know the potential solutions to a lot of the problems they will face. The reader doesn't. They're learning about your world as they go along with the characters. What may seem old to you by the end of a first draft is a brand-new existence to any one who cracks that first page. So, realize that what you might think of as an "obvious" solution to a problem is only obvious to you because you created the problem and its parameters in the first place. To everyone else, they might be completely flabbergasted by your solution because they never expected that problem to crop up in the first place. Just make sure you approach the problems from both sides and try to see how a solution might appear to someone who isn't anywhere near as knowledgeable about your world as you are.

Other ways to go about it would be realizing what you need for that character to get out, and then subtly weaving those elements back into the story once you realize their absence. Certainly you want to avoid some deux ex machina solution to everything, but making that item or spell or whatever appear to develop naturally through the story instead of a Author-Drop (where something suddenly appears like a gun popping into the character's hand at the right moment) can lessen the feel of cheating.

But I think you pointed out a key element that should almost always be there in these situations. Cost. Sacrifice. Getting out of these crisis involves sacrifice. No character should get away without consequences, or if they seem to, there is something that happens to make their freedom or solution a bad thing. One of their friends gets captured instead. They lose a limb. They lose their soul. Or their power. Or...something.

And there are times when I've just had to sit back and grit my teeth for a few days until I actually figured out how to solve a scene. Maybe there are even weeks where you don't know. All you know is the person gets out of the problem and this happens next. So maybe it's best to leave a few blank spots between paragraphs and continue with the story from where you know it will pick up, while letting your mind mull over potential solutions. Realize that obviously writing a story and the story itself do not occur on the same time continuum. If the character has five minutes, or even an hour to figure out a problem, you can take all the time you need. It will still provide the mental illusion of five minutes or an hour to the reader, and they'll wonder how you, as the author, came up with such a cool solution in that short time, while you're trying to hide your smile.

www.jrvogt.com
JRVogt.com
The Fiction Writer's Virtual Toolbox - 150+ links to tools and resources for writers
Follow on Twitter @JRVogt

Offline blgarver

• Conversationalist
  • There are three things all wise men fear...
    • View Profile
    • Video Samples
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2007, 08:06:11 PM »
Hmmm.  Good points.

I have an idea for the solution to the climax scene.  Or rather, the course of the story thus far brought me to the solution that is currently dominating my mind.  However, it seems a bit convenient.  I mean, it works with the world and the circumstances, and my mind did travel to this solution based on what has happened so far in the story, but...it still feels a little predictable. 

Not that I'm trying to trick the reader or anything.  But that phrase "never write what the reader expects to happen" rings in my head over and over.  And it's hard for me to discern whether or not the reader would expect this.  After all, it is the most logical solution.  Clever and attentive readers would probably spot it. 

I guess I can go with this solution that I have, since the story and the characters have led me there.  It seems right, it just doesn't seem...you know, like a Butcherificesque-like ending.  As in - "Holy crap, this guy is dead dead dead, he's never gonna get out of it this time, no way in hell, he's so dead...oh my god the son of a bitch did it" kind of ending.

I can always rework it if it doesn't ring true. 
I'm a videographer by trade.  Check out my work if you're a writer that needs to procrastinate.  Not as good as Rhett and Link, but I do what I can.
http://vimeo.com/user1855060/videos

Offline Josh

• Participant
  • Scriptor dementis
    • View Profile
    • Through a glass, darkly
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2007, 09:04:40 PM »
One thing you might try is "hiding clues in plain sight." Not sure if this has been talked much around the board yet. Anyways, it is definetely something you can go back and revise into the story if it seems either too obvious or too planted for your ending. Basically, what you do is, as the story goes along, you drop in seemingly innocuous references to people, things, etc. that seem normal or unimportant at that stage of the story. Therefore the reader has some reference to this thing and knows how it fits with the rest of the world. They just don't give it any kind of significance until...at the end...Bam. Remember that cup of water by the bedside that you saw in chapter 2 and that the guy drank in chapter five? Poisoned. Yup. And you didn't find that out until chapter ten, but by then boy were things sure screwed up. If you want a Butcher reference...think about when, in Summer Knight, Harry is running around to find where all of that stolen fairie power got funneled off to. He has that conversation with the lady (gah, can't remember the name) in the garden where she is working on her sculptures. The sculptures are so freakingly obvious in the chapter, but are presented in a way that we really don't give them any consideration. Then it turns out one of those statues is actually who Harry was looking for all along and is the solution to the whole plot. So things can be obvious in hindsight (again, even more so to the writer who has to think this all up in advance) but it's that surprise that works the magic. And, if you're having doubts..just write the ending as you have it and then have someone review it for you and get their opinion. That may be the best way to see if you pulled it off. 

www.jrvogt.com
JRVogt.com
The Fiction Writer's Virtual Toolbox - 150+ links to tools and resources for writers
Follow on Twitter @JRVogt