Author Topic: Terramancer help  (Read 1879 times)

Offline Augustas

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Terramancer help
« on: October 03, 2010, 08:36:25 PM »
Hello. I'm new to this game and this my first character ever:

High Concept: Magic Bulldozer.
Stunts   
Tough stuff
Powers   
Channeling (earth)
Ritual (likewise)
Supernatural sences (tremorsence)   
Wizards constitution
Skills
Great         Endurance   Fists   Conviction
Good          Lore   Discilpline   Craftsmanship
Fair         Alertness   Athletics   Scholarship
Average   Investigation   Stealth Deceit

Now, I'm having trouble coming up with the rote spells for him, I'm not even sure about the build so far. Any chance you could help me?

Offline luminos

• Posty McPostington
  • Um... Hello?
    • View Profile
Re: Terramancer help
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2010, 09:03:38 PM »
The build looks good, although I'm not so sure about wizards constitution on a focused practicioner.

Rotes should be fairly easy.  Just pick three actions that you want to do in combat without having to worry about failure.  For this, I'd pick one single target attack with shifts equal to discipline + control bonuses, one maneuver with shifts of discipline plus control bonues, and for the third, either a block or an area of effect attack, with shifts equal to discipline + control bonuses.
Lawful Chaotic

Offline Drashna

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2010, 08:01:15 AM »
Well, you could add "just an apprentice" for the trouble and be very reasonable.  Not to mention, there isn't anything specifically barring a focused practitioner from developing "similar" abilities. 

Though the thing I have an issue with is the "rituals" thing.  If it's "earth" or "geomancy" (or terramancy, not sure which is right!) also, well I can't really think of anything that would be be more ritualistic that wouldn't be covered by channeling/evocation.  Transformation, or better yet Wards would be a better choice. 

As for rote spells, there is at least one good example one to use from the "Your Story" book. "Earth Stomp".  I'm still not really used to the spell/evocation system, so I'm not even going to try to reason out spells for you (sorry).  But couldn't you "make" a defensive spell that creates a physical wall of stone in front of you, or coat you in stone/gems/etc that gives you an armor rating? Or "re-purpose" the hyper-awareness ("geolocation" :P) spell, have it send tiny pulses out into the ground allowing the character to better pinpoint targets on the ground, granting him a number of shifts for dodging.

Given the "earth" theme, the character probably isn't going to be subtle, but likely very patient and very good at planning. Never fighting on anyone else's terms, only on his terms.
[qoute='piotr1600']Sure true love will conquer all... You sponsored an instant vision of a tentacled Cthuluoid monstrosity following Elaine around, meeping piteously and making puppy dog eyes at her while she sighs loudly and gently kisses those tentacles...[/qoute]

Offline Crimson Overcoat

• Conversationalist
  • Closet Chronomancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2010, 10:51:17 PM »
With "Magic Bulldozer", the less subtle arts of geomancy are probably not for you. There are some incredibly nasty things that you can do if you want to go with subtlety, but general smashing is easy.

A few things that you may not have considered, but are well within the realm of geomancy:
Ley Line Manipulation-geomancers are more capable than others (due to practice)when tapping the earth's natural energy lines for extra oomph.
Electromagnetic Field: Gravity, large scale EM manipulation, and such are within your realm of focus.

Physics and Mathematics are the friends of the geomancer. Using small effects to create larger end results based on physics let you create larger effects with less initial effort. Evocations tossing rocks at bad guys has its place, but dropping small asteroids you've been manipulating through a telescope for months for the right occasion is way more fun. Same goes for earthquakes.

Useful rotes: Mud to Stone (tons of uses), Stone skin (an effective block), Null Gravity (funny as heck), Earthfire (lightning from an earth evocator's point of view). Mechanically most of these are similar to other spells in the main book, with the exception of mud to stone and null gravity.

Offline Becq

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2010, 11:40:12 PM »
Piece of iron scrap + large Earth-based magnetic field = rail gun
Handful of iron scrap + large Earth-based magnetic field = AoE rail gun

Bonus: effective against Fae creatures.

Offline Crimson Overcoat

• Conversationalist
  • Closet Chronomancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2010, 01:12:36 AM »
Piece of iron scrap + large Earth-based magnetic field = rail gun
Handful of iron scrap + large Earth-based magnetic field = AoE rail gun

Bonus: effective against Fae creatures.

Bonus: Pretty effective against everything. If not, run. Or just lay down and die, as it will save time.

Offline Becq

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2010, 01:34:12 AM »
Here's another one:

Enemy wielding a sword (or other metallic weapon) + large magnetic field = disarmed enemy (maneuver)

Offline Todjaeger

• Conversationalist
  • Dresden Files Alpha Burn Playtester
    • View Profile
    • Butchered New Haven campaign site
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2010, 05:20:30 PM »
Or how about a ritual application where the effects of gravity are reduced in one area, to be concentrated in another area?  Results: chunky salsa if people are concerned...

Other possible applications of Geomancy and/or Earth Channeling include triggering earthquakes as well as manipulation of natural faultlines, or possibly reducing the integrity of stone/metal-based building materials.  Imagine the result of due to a little prior planning, a fight took place in an office building that the Geomancer fled from, and then promptly dropped the building...

Kill the Child, Doom the World...  Or is it, Kill the Child, Save the World?

Dresden Files Purity test: http://knnn.x10.mx/purity2/purity.html

My results: http://knnn.x10.mx/purity2/purity-result.html?55:70:18:23:6:6:17:26:11:27:11:37:14:41:20:28:3:5: