Author Topic: Homebrew Stunts  (Read 51073 times)

Offline Papa Gruff

• Conversationalist
  • in omnia paratus!
    • View Profile
Re: Homebrew Stunts
« Reply #90 on: November 16, 2010, 10:52:07 PM »
As for Effortless Recovery, I knew when I was making it that it pushed the envelope for stunt power. Do you think it would be better as a [-1] supernatural power?

It's probably one of the more OK stunts that relate to a power. I didn't meant to say that I was against it parse, as it is it offers a very limited benefit. Depending on the grate of the recovery power it offers the bonus only once or twice during a scene, where other stunts are active all the time. Seems a bit week.

« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 11:00:54 PM by Papa Gruff »
in omnia peratus! ... wait a minute! ... to give anybody a rucksack? ... DAMN CORRESPONDENCE COURSE!

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 16, 2010, 11:12:26 PM »
Weak? My instincts were the precise opposite. I guess it's a judgement call. I tend to be paranoid about stunts that boost attacks, and this one (indirectly) does that.

I think I'll leave it as is and see if anyone complains.

Offline Drashna

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 17, 2010, 04:56:39 AM »
Stunts... powers... whatever.  Personally, I'd say any stunt that directly effects a power is just an option of the power, much as "at range" or "lasting emotion" are for Incite Emotion. And if you look at what they do specifically, it is approx the same, power-wise.  So arguing if it's specifically a power or a stunt is like arguing about apples and oranges. THEY ARE BOTH DELICIOUS FRUIT! :)  Who cares *where* they should be, because half of the "power" influencing stunts require you to have at least one refresh worth of powers... 

Either way, Sanctaphrax, you're doing a great job, and keep it up! :)
[qoute='piotr1600']Sure true love will conquer all... You sponsored an instant vision of a tentacled Cthuluoid monstrosity following Elaine around, meeping piteously and making puppy dog eyes at her while she sighs loudly and gently kisses those tentacles...[/qoute]

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #93 on: November 18, 2010, 03:23:20 AM »
Wily (Alertness): Your survival depends on quickly assessing your surroundings for threats and resources. You may use your Alertness instead of Investigation to search an area, but you won't necessarily understand what you've found.

Never Miss a Beat (Investigation): Your are a seasoned investigator, and your keen eye alerts you to danger. Use Investigation instead of Alertness for Avoiding Surprise.

"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Offline ralexs1991

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 18, 2010, 03:05:06 PM »
http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,22561.0.html

Anyway, the issue of "supernatural stunts" has been debated repeatedly. If you would like to try and resolve it, make a new thread. This argument has already sidetracked at least two threads, and I'd rather not add this one to that list.

I posted a poll so there would be somewhere to debate the supernatural stunt thing
Oh, hi, Mr. Warden!  How are you this fine day?  My, what a shiny sword you have there...

Offline Papa Gruff

• Conversationalist
  • in omnia paratus!
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 18, 2010, 04:14:52 PM »
Got a new one that I created earlier today:

I'm a doctor not a ... (Scholarship): You worked as a physician for quite some time. Get a +1 to your scholarship roll whenever treating a patient, due to your extensive experience.

Edit: Coming to think of it. This is a stunt that needs an other one as the scholarship skill only counts for first aid. So it needs:

I'm a doctor (Scholarship): You have a medical education that qualifies you to work in a hospital. Given the recourses you can treat almost every kind of injury and not only the first aid stuff.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 04:24:00 PM by Papa Gruff »
in omnia peratus! ... wait a minute! ... to give anybody a rucksack? ... DAMN CORRESPONDENCE COURSE!

Offline Becq

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 18, 2010, 11:06:54 PM »
I'm a doctor not a ... (Scholarship): You worked as a physician for quite some time. Get a +1 to your scholarship roll whenever treating a patient, due to your extensive experience.

I'm a doctor (Scholarship): You have a medical education that qualifies you to work in a hospital. Given the recourses you can treat almost every kind of injury and not only the first aid stuff.
I think the existing "Doctor" stunt already combines both of these.  It certainly does the second, though it defines "treatment" as a declaration for the appropriate conditions of beginning recovery.  It also gives a general +1 on medical research, plus a specific field +1 -- I think these would apply to the treatment rolls, because they count as declarations.

Offline Papa Gruff

• Conversationalist
  • in omnia paratus!
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 18, 2010, 11:11:39 PM »
I think the existing "Doctor" stunt already combines both of these.  It certainly does the second, though it defines "treatment" as a declaration for the appropriate conditions of beginning recovery.  It also gives a general +1 on medical research, plus a specific field +1 -- I think these would apply to the treatment rolls, because they count as declarations.

Ups ... thank you Becq. Obviously that one completely slipped my mind. Sorry everybody!

Offline Dumbledresden

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 19, 2010, 05:04:54 AM »
After Re-reading Aftermath:

Grunting (Rapport): You have mastered the ancient ways of communication of men! Whenever you are using Rapport while grunting with another male character, you get +1 on your Roll.

Just out of curiosity, would stunts like these work?

Master Of The Arcane (Lore): Your spells are not about what you believe, but what you know. Use Lore instead of Conviction to determine the strength/power of your Spells.

From The Book (Lore): You know your spells by heart. Use Lore instead of Discipline to control and guide your Spells.

Edit: Added 2nd Lore stunt
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 08:18:59 AM by Dumbledresden »
"Mad? He's a genius! Best wizard in the world! But he is a bit mad, yes."

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #99 on: November 19, 2010, 05:35:03 AM »
Brutal (Fists or Weapons): you get a +2 to your Fists or Weapons roll (choose one) to perform a maneuver intended to cripple or maim an opponent.

Really Brutal (Fists or Weapons): On a successful Fists or Weapons attack (choose one) inflicting two or more shifts of damage, you may choose to force your target to take a consequence before applying any remaining shifts to his stress track. This essentially makes your attacks double as maneuvers which soften up your opponent. If the target's lowest available consequence slot would absorb more stress than the shifts you just dealt, they may apply your damage to their stress track as normal.

Example: Swinging your baseball bat at an assassin, you hit his face, dealing 3 shifts of damage. He takes a minor consequence (Broken Nose) and a 1 stress hit. You swing next exchange, and opt to hit hit his kneecap, dealing another 4 shifts of damage. Your target already has a minor (-2) consequence, and so must take a moderate consequence (-4) and no additional stress. The last exchange, you tag both consequences for free for a +4 to your roll, and work him over quite effectively.

Note to self: stop listening to Dethklok while thinking about DFRPG. Then again, perhaps Metalocalypse and Dresden Files complement each other entirely well.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 05:47:42 AM by devonapple »
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Offline Papa Gruff

• Conversationalist
  • in omnia paratus!
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 19, 2010, 08:52:05 AM »
Just out of curiosity, would stunts like these work?

Master Of The Arcane (Lore): Your spells are not about what you believe, but what you know. Use Lore instead of Conviction to determine the strength/power of your Spells.

From The Book (Lore): You know your spells by heart. Use Lore instead of Discipline to control and guide your Spells.

Edit: Added 2nd Lore stunt

Please ask yourself: Witch trapping of the Conviction or Disciplines Skill gets transplanted to Lore here? Answer: There isn't one as the things you're trying to manipulate are clearly part of the evocation power.

In my opinion this is a rather good example for why stunts generally shouldn't relate to powers or their use, but we have the other thread to discuss this, so the question should probably be taken there.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 08:58:23 AM by Papa Gruff »

Offline Dumbledresden

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 19, 2010, 09:30:24 AM »
Please ask yourself: Witch trapping of the Conviction or Disciplines Skill gets transplanted to Lore here? Answer: There isn't one as the things you're trying to manipulate are clearly part of the evocation power.

In my opinion this is a rather good example for why stunts generally shouldn't relate to powers or their use, but we have the other thread to discuss this, so the question should probably be taken there.

Well basically there is no trapping transplanted here. Both stunts take elements of the skill description and transplant them to the Lore skill, without touching any existing trappings, thereby the creation of those stunts wouldn't be exactly by the rules, but there are existing stunts that are not created by the rules either, f.e. Riposte. Therefore I asked out of curiosity.

But I get your point, that stunts shouldn't relate to powers.
Power relating "stunts" should get handled like add-ons to those powers.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 09:49:37 AM by Dumbledresden »
"Mad? He's a genius! Best wizard in the world! But he is a bit mad, yes."

Offline Tsunami

• Posty McPostington
  • Not delicate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 19, 2010, 09:44:10 AM »
Another one i thought up for my Half-Giant Scion

Was that supposed to hurt? (Endurance): You are TOUGH. You don't avoid attacks, you just take them right. Use Endurance to „dodge“ attacks.

Offline ralexs1991

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 19, 2010, 01:31:16 PM »
Note to self: stop listening to Dethklok while thinking about DFRPG. Then again, perhaps Metalocalypse and Dresden Files complement each other entirely well.

Haha epic win i love that show ;D
Oh, hi, Mr. Warden!  How are you this fine day?  My, what a shiny sword you have there...

Offline Selrach

• Conversationalist
  • You'll never guess
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 19, 2010, 10:32:42 PM »
Another one i thought up for my Half-Giant Scion

Was that supposed to hurt? (Endurance): You are TOUGH. You don't avoid attacks, you just take them right. Use Endurance to „dodge“ attacks.

I think that's fine as long as the damage does not satisfy your catch
Apparently I would much rather post than sleep.