Author Topic: Homebrew Stunts  (Read 50628 times)

Offline DFJunkie

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Homebrew Stunts
« Reply #150 on: March 21, 2011, 04:50:06 PM »
Personally I wouldn't allow any skill other than Athletics to be used as an all-purpose physical defense as that is an incredibly useful trapping, and by far the most useful one that Athletics has.

I would recommend something like this:

Elusive Fencer: Years of intense training and more than a few close calls have gifted you with nearly superhuman reflexes.  Your Weapons skill always compliments your Athletics skill when defending against physical attacks.
90% of what I say is hyperbole intended for humorous effect.  Don't take me seriously. I don't.

Offline Papa Gruff

• Conversationalist
  • in omnia paratus!
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: March 21, 2011, 04:53:57 PM »
Yeah @Sanctaphrax, I've seen that one. It just doesn't fit into my understanding of the rules. Transferring a trapping - especially such a potent one - should make it necessary to tie it into the target skill some more.

I guess my mental image of "Parry Everything" is a little to over the top for me. And it doesn't include magical attacks as it explicitly speaks of "deflecting bullets". But thats just nitpicking.
in omnia peratus! ... wait a minute! ... to give anybody a rucksack? ... DAMN CORRESPONDENCE COURSE!

Offline Papa Gruff

• Conversationalist
  • in omnia paratus!
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: March 21, 2011, 04:54:59 PM »
Personally I wouldn't allow any skill other than Athletics to be used as an all-purpose physical defense as that is an incredibly useful trapping, and by far the most useful one that Athletics has.

I would recommend something like this:

Elusive Fencer: Years of intense training and more than a few close calls have gifted you with nearly superhuman reflexes.  Your Weapons skill always compliments your Athletics skill when defending against physical attacks.

I would agree, if the rulebook wouldn't explicitly show the transfer of dodging into a fighting skill as an example for transferring trappings.
in omnia peratus! ... wait a minute! ... to give anybody a rucksack? ... DAMN CORRESPONDENCE COURSE!

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: March 21, 2011, 05:00:36 PM »
Interesting point. But I honestly don't think that the mental image changes much when you restrict it to a certain weapon, so I don't see the point of changing that if your problem is with the image.

My reasoning for Parry Everything was this: there is a Fists stunt that lets you defend against ranged attacks with Fists. Weapons defence is better than Fists defence, and weapons stunts are supposed to be slightly stronger than Fists stunts. So a Weapons stunt that lets you defend against ranged attacks with Weapons is reasonable.

Offline DFJunkie

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: March 21, 2011, 05:06:33 PM »
Technically any trapping is fair game to move to any other skill, as long as you can justify it.  However just because it is technically allowable doesn't mean it's balanced or sensible.  These are all home brews, so it isn't like there's going to be an authoritative answer.  If you want to allow vanilla mortals to parry bullets and blasts of fire that's fine, but I would find that both overpowered and out of genre (barring some sort of supernatural Kensai type character, which would be out of the realm of Stunts altogether).  My example is what I would allow in my game, your mileage may vary.
90% of what I say is hyperbole intended for humorous effect.  Don't take me seriously. I don't.

Offline Papa Gruff

• Conversationalist
  • in omnia paratus!
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: March 21, 2011, 05:07:23 PM »
Interesting point. But I honestly don't think that the mental image changes much when you restrict it to a certain weapon, so I don't see the point of changing that if your problem is with the image.

My reasoning for Parry Everything was this: there is a Fists stunt that lets you defend against ranged attacks with Fists. Weapons defence is better than Fists defence, and weapons stunts are supposed to be slightly stronger than Fists stunts. So a Weapons stunt that lets you defend against ranged attacks with Weapons is reasonable.

Pretty good reasoning in my opinion.

I give in on the restriction on one kind of weapon but not on the general idea that you can only dodge those attacks while wielding a weapon of some sorts.

Both writeups are similar really. It's probably a question on the character concept/idea and flavor.

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
  • What Lies in the Truth, what truth in the Lies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: March 21, 2011, 05:12:35 PM »
Flawless Parry - When using your a Sword to defend with your weapons skill add 1 to your roll

Perfect Parry - When using a full defence action with a sword add 2 to your weapons defence roll on top of the +2 from full defence.
Every night has its day.
Even forever must come to an end....
I think.

Offline Papa Gruff

• Conversationalist
  • in omnia paratus!
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: March 21, 2011, 05:14:56 PM »
Technically any trapping is fair game to move to any other skill, as long as you can justify it.  However just because it is technically allowable doesn't mean it's balanced or sensible. These are all home brews, so it isn't like there's going to be an authoritative answer.  If you want to allow vanilla mortals to parry bullets and blasts of fire that's fine, but I would find that both overpowered and out of genre (barring some sort of supernatural Kensai type character, which would be out of the realm of Stunts altogether).  My example is what I would allow in my game, your mileage may vary.

Sure ... thats anyones prerogative.

You are probably even right on "Shot on the run" also being a homebrew. Yet it is in the book. As an example for stunts transferring trappings. I'm not even disagreeing about this being one of the more extreme stunts where balancing is concerned.

Sometimes it seems to me that the hole idea of transferring trappings is highly problematic and can lead to some fairly heavy shit. But it's one thing stunts are there for. And the price of one refresh isn't a bargain.

Offline DFJunkie

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: March 21, 2011, 05:16:57 PM »
And the price of one refresh isn't a bargain.

Heh, yeah.  I do occasionally have to take a breath and remind myself "calm down and allow it, it's still shittier than a power."

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: March 21, 2011, 05:17:20 PM »
Parrying a bullet is no more overpowered than dodging it. That's just fluff. If you don't like the image, change it.

Parry Everything is weaker than Footwork. Footwork is canon, and (as far as I know) nobody thinks it's broken.

@ways and means/Tame Knight/bitterpill: Flawless Parry seems a touch weak, but Perfect Parry looks good. Mind if I add it to the Master List? Also, are you planning to get your old account back or are you sticking with this one?

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: March 21, 2011, 05:24:19 PM »
I am sticking with the new account now and I don't mind if you put the stunt in the masterlist. I was thinking of making Flawless Parry give a +2 but thought that might be a bit strong.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 05:26:10 PM by ways and means »
Every night has its day.
I think.

Offline Papa Gruff

• Conversationalist
  • in omnia paratus!
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: March 21, 2011, 05:24:55 PM »
Parrying a bullet is no more overpowered than dodging it. That's just fluff. If you don't like the image, change it.

I believe that's pretty much what I just said, isn't it? ;o)

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: March 21, 2011, 06:40:25 PM »
'Shot on the run' may be in the book, but it's also not fully fleshed out and seems to recommend that it be limited in some way (with two printed options being 'only with a gun on hand' or 'only against ranged attacks').

'Footwork' is reasonably balanced unrestricted because Fists is otherwise the worst attack skill out there.
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: April 12, 2011, 03:44:40 AM »
Mind of Steel: Roll discipline at +2 for defending against Supernatural Mental Attacks
Every night has its day.
I think.

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: July 30, 2011, 12:42:14 AM »
Dragoon (weapons) - When tagging a Jumped Aspect whilst wielding a Spear or Lance gain +2 to your roll on top of your tag benefit (for a total +4).
Every night has its day.
I think.