Author Topic: Sidhe Knight of Santa  (Read 5896 times)

Offline EroGaki

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Sidhe Knight of Santa
« on: September 06, 2010, 09:45:38 AM »
So I noticed that the entry on more sidhe knights in Our World listed Santa Claus as a Wyldfae. After having a good laugh (even though it said not to laugh  ;D) I decided that it might be a fun character to play. So I need some advice on a few things:

1. What kind of mojo would the Christmas Knight have?

2. Exactly what does Santa Claus do? Besides christmas gifts, I mean. Exactly what is his domain? Using the Erlking as an example, he does the wild hunt and controls the spirits of hunters. What does Santa do?

3. How do you play such a character without it becoming a huge joke? I mean, Santa? Really?

My GM is just as flabbergasted as I am, although he shares my enthusiasm about the idea of being the Christmas Knight. I could really use some advice. Thanks  :)

Offline arsieiuni

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Sidhe Knight of Santa
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2010, 10:02:18 AM »
Not trying to spoil your fun...
But if you'd like a REALLY good idea of what Santa might actually be... Go look up the Norse legends and read about Odin.
All the myths about Santa originated in Odin and his "Wild Hunt" which rides over the Yuletide...
You can find info on this easily by googling. Srsly. :)

Offline babel2uk

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2010, 10:16:47 AM »
I have someone in my game playing a Changeling who claims allegience to the Court of Santa, as a method of avoiding recruitment by the other courts. I've made him fully aware that there's a chance that if he makes too big a thing of it the real 'Santa' may come calling on him to enforce that allegience.

While I haven't in all honesty decided on specifics, there are a few things I'm toying with....

The character of Santa can actually be heavilly linked to the character of Puck the Trickster (Puck even has the characteristic 'Ho, Ho, Ho' laugh).

I'm leaning towards the view that the actual Santa is portrayed as being kindly, generous and generally good natured, because you really don't want to annoy him. In fact, it may be that the truth is so horrible that he's effectively been bound deep in the Never Never to prevent him from rampaging across the world. (Think along the lines of the image of him portrayed by Jack in 'The Nightmare Before Christmas' when he's trying to sell Christmas to the inhabitants of Halloween).

As arsieiuni says, the Odin/Erl King connection is a valid interpretation -
(click to show/hide)
. It's not unlikely that the rumour of a fourth powerful unaligned Faerie powerbase holds some degree of truth. Maybe he's the fabled Faerie King, and the Mothers keep him bound away while the Faerie Courts tried to diminish him by virtue of spreading a false portrayal. Which also gives a potential plot line for the weakening of the containment with the destruction of the Spring and Autumn Courts (assuming of course they ever existed). In this case the Knight may well be a sort of Black Ops type who is intent on destabilising the remaining courts.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2010, 10:40:55 AM by babel2uk »

Offline Ala Alba

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2010, 02:44:45 PM »
DMW wrote up a character like that. You might be able to find it somewhere in the PBP sub-forum.

Offline AcornArmy

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2010, 03:27:55 PM »
Surprisingly, as of yesterday's interview with Jim at DragonCon, we have now been told that
(click to show/hide)
. Seriously. The post is over here.
DV AcornArmy YR5FR5 BK+++ RP+ TH+(++) WG+++ CL++ SH[Mab+ Lara++ Molly+++]

Offline Mal_Luck

• Posty McPostington
  • The Trope Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2010, 06:49:46 PM »
DMW wrote up a character like that. You might be able to find it somewhere in the PBP sub-forum.
Linked for convenience.
DV Mal_Luck v1.2 YR3 FR1 BK++++ RP++++ JB TH(+++) WG(-) CL SW(+) BC(++) MC(--) SH [Molly+++ Murphy++]

Offline CBIrish

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2010, 07:42:20 PM »
I love this thread!

I never even considered a Chirstmas Knight.  Really makes you want to end up on the 'Nice' list, huh?

But this raises a question I've had since Summer Knight was published - what about Oberon? I mean, he was a major figure in faerie lore but we haven't heard anything about him (or Puck for that matter).  Obviously he's been mentioned here in the forums, but is anyone aware of any 'official' stance on Oberon?

I have to admit - my favorite forum concept so far places the Erlking as the former Autumn King and implies Oberon as the former Spring King with their respective Courts dissolving at some point in the past. As someone who is playing a changeling with certain ties to Oberon (and Puck) I'm interested to hear if anything has been set down. 
Some people call me morally bankrupt.  I like think of myself as free-spirited . . . and morally bankrupt.

Offline Chlorofiend

• Participant
  • Plant Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2010, 02:56:20 AM »
Ah, yes, the Christmas Knight...the guy Santa Claus sends when he needs someone killed.  :o
"Little holes are from Marcone's thug. Big dent was a chlorofiend," I said.
"A what?"
"Plant monster."
"Oh. Why don't you just say 'plant monster?'"
"I have my pride."

--Harry and Susan, Death Masks

Offline EroGaki

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2010, 04:03:07 AM »
Wow! That spoiler raises all sorts of questions! I'm absolutely flabbergasted by the implications.

With this news, it is tempting to give the Christmas Knight the Unseelie Magic and call it a day. But somehow, that doesn't sit right with me; I'm certain their would be some differences between how Santa works and the other Winter fae.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 04:51:16 AM by EroGaki »

Offline FangGrip

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2010, 08:23:15 PM »
Another idea, spoiler aside, is to use elements from Terry Pratchett's Hogfather.

Not a cleaned up kiddie version of Santa that you would find in most stories or movies.  Blood, sweat, and pork.  Very visceral.

Offline Richard_Chilton

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2010, 08:48:11 PM »
Maybe Seelie and Unseelie magic both need to be broken up?

As in there's the Seelie magic of the Queen and the Seelie magic of the King, each side emphasizing other aspects of the season.  One side acting from the Woman magic prospective and the other from male magic.  Some cultures broke their view of magic along those lines.

Which means the Queens have their Knights and the Kings might have theirs.  Are there three Kings, one, of a handful of them? We don't know yet, but I think we could see a parallel court system.

Richard

Offline Kodiakc

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2010, 06:04:31 PM »
mmm where would Krampus fit into this mix?  ;D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krampus

by the by I love this idea!
"My Faith Protects Me, My Kevlar, Helps"

Offline DFJunkie

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2010, 06:40:45 PM »
Hell, Krampus could be the Christmas Knight.  He's big and scary and watches Santa's back.

I'm strongly considering making my Knight of the Sword character try to take Santa out.  After all, the church cannot be happy about a Unseelie Fae getting all that delicious belief on their dime. 
90% of what I say is hyperbole intended for humorous effect.  Don't take me seriously. I don't.

Tbora

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2010, 06:52:50 PM »
In that confrontation you lose, a peer and near equal of Mab that is Plot Devicey as they come.

Offline DFJunkie

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2010, 06:55:50 PM »
In that confrontation you lose, a peer and near equal of Mab that is Plot Devicey as they come.

Getting so tired of that refrain.
90% of what I say is hyperbole intended for humorous effect.  Don't take me seriously. I don't.