Author Topic: Block, Counterspell and the like  (Read 5948 times)

Offline Becq

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Block, Counterspell and the like
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2010, 07:27:52 PM »
Such a use of Discipline requires a Stunt.
Evocation already, in effect, adds a 'trapping' to the Discipline skill to allow it to control magical energy.  Why would you need another stunt to do so?  Note also that the example I referenced did not indicate that Guns could only be used that way if a trapping was added via a stunt...

Again, this is just my opinion, your GM might disagree, and that's fine.  But given that DFRPG encourages coming up with creative ways to use skills, I think that this as a house rule would be easily within the spirit of the rules, and would be reasonable from a game balance perspective.  After all, if you can justify defending against lockpicking by using Guns skill, how hard is it to justify defending against spells with magical skill?

Offline Belial666

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2010, 07:36:39 PM »
It allows control of your own energy. Much like, say, "guns" allows you to control your own gun.

To control your enemy's gun you'd need a pretty pricey power. To use "guns" to defend you'd need a stunt.

Offline stitchy1503

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2010, 03:03:54 AM »
I dont know if i'd say that, couldnt you use the guns skill in a block, for instance "cover fire"?
DV stitchy1503 v1.2 YR 8 FR2 BK++ RP++++ JB TH+ WG+ CL++ SW BC+ MC-- SH[murph+++ molly++ mavra----]

Offline babel2uk

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2010, 08:19:52 AM »
I dont know if i'd say that, couldnt you use the guns skill in a block, for instance "cover fire"?

Yes, I'm fairly certain there's an example of that in the rule book. It's a block applied to a particular maneuver (spraying bullets into a doorway to stop someone escaping through it, in the case of the example). I could quite easily see that changed to a block on shooting and movement placed on a particular person or small area (depending on the size and rate of fire of the gun) - that may even be stated in the example in the book. That is an action though, not a reaction. It's not something you could decide to do as someone shoots at you - you'd need to use your own action to place the block before your enemy opens fire this exchange. I think Belial666 was meaning that you couldn't use guns as a form of dodge roll (i.e. reaction to the incoming fire) - I may be wrong though.

In my opinion it's the same thing for Counterspelling. It's not something you should be able to use reactively - there's too much analysis involved.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 08:21:26 AM by babel2uk »