Author Topic: Spell-Blocker Item of Power  (Read 4734 times)

Offline Rel Fexive

• Conversationalist
  • Shadow Sorcerer
    • View Profile
Re: Spell-Blocker Item of Power
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2010, 10:59:23 PM »
Oh yeah. I've not gotten to Our World yet, and I'd forgotten about those sleeve-things.  So, there's definitely a precedence for such things.  Cool.

On the Spellbreaker front, I'm thinking of something that's a fine golden chain about a foot or two long and going with Fred's ideas of: swung with Weapons to defend against Evocation attacks (stunt: new trapping, -1) at +2 (stunt: -1) and dissipates what gets through a bit with Armor:2 (-2).  It can be worn around a wrist (or maybe waist if longer) and is more concealable than a sword so it gets a +1 discount for a total of 3 refresh.  If Armor:2 seems too much, knock it down by one.

I only started pondering this when I thought of a Thaumaturgy-only 'sorcerer' character while reading too much Brust, who calls his magic Witchcraft and calls himself a witch.  He has a high concept of "Neighbourhood Witch" (as a play on neighbourhood watch, as he tasks himself to defend an area of the city against supernatural threats) and one of his aspects is Faux Wiccan, because he really isn't one.
THE DOCTOR: I'll do a thing.
RIVER SONG: What thing?
THE DOCTOR: I don't know. It's a thing in progress. Respect the thing!

Offline InvisibleHoser

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2010, 01:04:20 AM »
I've been looking to create a similar item as an enchanted item.
A sword that allows the wielder to use weapons skill to parry magical attacks, grants a +2 to the roll, and would be usable 5 times per session.
My calculations are: 1 slot for the spell parry ability, 1 slot for +2 to that ability, and 2 slots for 4 additional uses per session..

Is this a legitimate use of the enchanted items rules? Or should this kind of effect be limited to the "Item of Power"?

Offline Belial666

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2010, 01:16:46 AM »
The smart spellcaster who fights fey, werewolves and magic-immune people has several iron half-pound spheres and several silver half-pound spheres with him most of the time.

Fey, magic-immune enemy or magic-immune fey? Instead of blasting directly, telekinetically throw an iron sphere at half the speed of sound.
Were, magic-immune enemy or magic-immune were? Instead of blasting directly, telekinetically throw a silver sphere at half the speed of sound.

Against a prepared spellcaster, magic immunity isn't that useful.

Offline vultur

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2010, 04:32:16 AM »
Lord Talos in Our World has a -2 refresh coat of spell-repelling mail (-8 Physical Immunity, +5 Catch: Only against magic, +1 Item of Power bonus).

Offline blues.soldier

• Participant
    • View Profile
    • The Action Point-- Gaming from a military perspective
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2010, 01:50:52 AM »
You could easily build an entire campaign around an item like this-- all the factions that want to get ahold of it and what they want to do when they get it.
"What ever you do, do it for love. If you keep to that, your path will never wander so far from the light that you can never return.”--Uriel

Offline Synthesse

• Participant
  • One-Woman Rave
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2010, 08:39:53 AM »
Does anyone know how spell reflection, rather than spell blocking would work? Would you use mimic points or maybe something similar?

Offline Tsunami

• Posty McPostington
  • Not delicate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2010, 08:12:16 PM »
I just had an idea how reflecting spells could actually work.

You could make a power that works somewhat like the riposte stunt for weapons.

Spell Mirror (-1)
Requires evocation or channeling of one kind or another.
Description: You can use your magical blocks to redirect spells sent at you.
Effects
Spell reflection
On a successful spell defense with a magical block, you can sacrifice your next action to reflect the attacking spell back onto the attacker. Turning the block strength into the control roll to target the reflection. It can be defended against normally.
Angling the Mirror (-1) you can not only reflect the spell back to the caster, you can also choose to redirect the spell onto a target of your choice.

Offline Crion

• Conversationalist
  • "Don't. Mess. With. Librarians."
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2010, 08:26:11 PM »
Just a random thought to toss in: what about single/limited use items to "block" spells, as seen in the short story "The Warrior"; how would those be factored in?

As we saw it,
(click to show/hide)
Would something like this be considered a potion (and would you consider one-shot talismans like this as potions?), or as an enchanted item?

Just curious now that InvisibleHoser mentioned enchanted items.
"Smilies exist because no one has bothered to make a sarcasm font." Lost_Heretic
"I don't care about whose DNA has recombined with whose. When everything goes to hell, the people who stand by you without flinching--they are your family." Harry Dresden

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2010, 09:41:19 PM »
Crion: That's a textbook Potion example. They don't need to be actual 'potions' per se, check out the hankie full of sunshine.

Offline fatty

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2010, 07:25:59 AM »
Looking at Lord Talos's armour it is only versus mortal magic. I think you would need to drop the cost of the rebate for all magic. -3 or -4
Polka will never die!

Offline Crion

• Conversationalist
  • "Don't. Mess. With. Librarians."
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2010, 01:32:53 PM »
Crion: That's a textbook Potion example. They don't need to be actual 'potions' per se, check out the hankie full of sunshine.

Just wanted to be sure. I know potions tend to be one-shot items, but this item in particular seemed a bit powerful, which is why I referenced it for clarification.

Thanks Deadmanwalking.
"Smilies exist because no one has bothered to make a sarcasm font." Lost_Heretic
"I don't care about whose DNA has recombined with whose. When everything goes to hell, the people who stand by you without flinching--they are your family." Harry Dresden

Offline blues.soldier

• Participant
    • View Profile
    • The Action Point-- Gaming from a military perspective
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2010, 10:43:10 PM »
Potions can be truly epically powerful, depending on who makes them and how many Item Slots they choose to devote to those potions. I'm sure there are some really broken builds revolving around alchemists here on the boards somewhere, and the concept works for an in-game concept as well; the idea of a bookish, frail alchemist in his tower doing nothing but brewing potions of amazing power is pretty much a staple of the genre.
"What ever you do, do it for love. If you keep to that, your path will never wander so far from the light that you can never return.”--Uriel

Offline Belial666

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2010, 11:33:47 PM »
Well, a submerged alchemist with Lore 5, Thaumaturgy, a Book or Shadows IoP that has potion and item recipes handed down through generations (effectively a +5 power focus for crafting plus 2 extra potion slots for -3 refresh and +2 rebate), another 5 refinement to get a +5 crafting frequency through foci/specialization and another 16 slots has;

Potion/Item power at +10
Potion/Item frequency at 6
18 item or potion slots
Thaumaturgy rituals