Author Topic: Custom Dresden Dice  (Read 3693 times)

Offline Alymon

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Custom Dresden Dice
« on: August 27, 2010, 06:51:31 PM »
Thought I'd share this with everyone.  Earlier this month, after much deliberation and editing, I ordered 6 sets of custom fate dice for the Dresden RPG (4 unique sets, 2 duplicates).  Each of the sets of dice will be used by different players in DRPG game I am running soonish.

They just arrived today and I'm very happy with how they turned out.  The company I used was www.customdice.com.  They were very good about walking me through the process and helping me get them the right stuff so the end product came out as envisioned.

All of the symbols on the dice come from the DRPG books.  Each die has 2 positive colored symbols to represent +1, 2 negative colored symbols to represent -1 and 2 blank sides to represent +0.

Again, I can't say it enough how happy I am with the resulting product, and I strongly encourage anyone looking for custom dice to talk to these guys.  They were a little pricey ($4.50 per die, so about $18 for a set of 4 plus shipping)... though every vendor I looked at was roughly the same price... and you need to have a minimum order of $40, but they are no different in quality than any standard gaming die.  But I think they are well worth the money.  I should also add that of all the vendors I looked at, customdice.com was the most flexible with design options.

FYI, the set with orange on it isn't smaller than the others, I just messed up a bit when taking the pictures of them.  They are all standard d6 size.

Custom Dice Pictures

I should also add that the designs are etched into the dice, not just painted on.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 07:28:06 PM by Alymon »

Offline Lukas the Dead

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Custom Dresden Dice
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2010, 07:33:34 PM »
Very cool and a great idea on what to put on them.

Offline deathwombat

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2010, 08:27:10 PM »
Neat!!
Bad typists untie!!!!

Offline Alymon

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2010, 12:06:03 PM »
Very cool and a great idea on what to put on them.

I thought about doing things that were mentioned in the books like the pentacle, a skull or other iconic things from the series, but in the end, using the arcane symbols I could find in the DRPG books seemed like the best choice.

Offline Wyrdrune

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2010, 09:25:54 AM »
cool!

Offline zhul

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2010, 10:22:31 PM »
Excellent! Are they balanced to ensure that they roll randomly?
"We're locked into the moon's gravitational pull! What do we do?"
The commander stoically met his lieutenant's frightened gaze and replied,
"We die."

Offline Alymon

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2010, 04:29:50 PM »
They should be.  I think the base is just a Chessex blank ivory die with the symbols etched in.

Offline austinmonster

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2010, 06:17:24 PM »
You can get blank dice yourself.  I found mine at a teacher's supply store of all things (they use them to teach math I think).

a few minutes with a sharp piece of metal and a sharpee (gouge the + and - and then coat with said pen) and you have some perfectly serviceable, if not rough looking, dice.

Offline Alymon

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2010, 06:20:16 PM »
You can get blank dice yourself.  I found mine at a teacher's supply store of all things (they use them to teach math I think).

a few minutes with a sharp piece of metal and a sharpee (gouge the + and - and then coat with said pen) and you have some perfectly serviceable, if not rough looking, dice.

That's a good idea.  I doubt I could've carved those symbols in myself though. 

Offline austinmonster

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2010, 03:31:53 PM »
Oh no, it's not nearly as pretty, but sometimes the whole rough and jagged aesthetic fits your character or the mood.   

Post Apocalyptic Dresden Files!

It's a lot cheaper either way

Offline snowbank

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2010, 10:21:23 PM »
Did you guys see where Evil Hat and somebody are coming out with Dresden-specific dice later this year? Three colors, including Hellfire, Winter Court and Ectoplasm.
ALIEN SPACE BATS!!!!!!!!

Offline arsieiuni

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2010, 10:55:26 PM »
Wow! Those are nice! But I couldn't use them in my game because one of my PCs is colorblind lol. She looked at these over my shoulder and said "How can you tell which ones are which?" ... yeah she can't tell them apart by color. o_o lol

Love the idea though. And yea, the idea from Evil Hat about making specific colors based upon themes from the world... yeah I like that.

Offline Mattastic

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2010, 11:59:00 PM »
Very nice!
Great idea!
If I already didn't have some I'd go this route... but I'll be passing this on to others.

Offline FangGrip

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2010, 01:51:57 PM »
If I already didn't have some I'd go this route... but I'll be passing this on to others.

What?  You can't always use more dice?!?!?!
 :o

Offline arthurfallz

• Participant
  • The Dread Duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2010, 06:04:58 PM »
Those are awesome looking.

As a cheaper alternative (for those who don't wanna order custom dice), some stickers could be printed with symbols like that. Green for +, blue or black for ø, red for -. Just coloured stickers, or even those symbols for the ambitious. It's not hard to do really. Heck, even some model paint and filling in the numbers with that colour scheme will help make the dice easy to read for the +ø- mechanic.
I reserve the right to change my opinion the moment I am proven wrong; that's called learning.