Author Topic: Miami; the Makeshift Mermaid and other Yarns  (Read 72807 times)

Offline fantazero

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Miami; the Makeshift Mermaid and other Yarns
« Reply #525 on: February 10, 2011, 03:56:36 PM »
You should feel lucky.  I get called, "Volcano Boy." :P
I think it was you who said " wait are we martys goon squad? "
Im bad with names to begin with, heck I called a coworker by the woman she replaced name for months on accident ...then when I got it right she was.fired a few days later

Offline zegion

• Conversationalist
  • *Taps* -Bugle Call
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: February 10, 2011, 04:20:20 PM »
Aside from popular belief, rapiers were used even at sea. cutlass is what we associate as pirate weapon, but thats mostly due to the royal navy arming its officers with cutlass. Your basic seamen, sacalywag and pirate used belaying pins, boarding pikes, or what ever was handy. Swords were used by the upper tier on a ship with maybe the botswans mate and a few of the most trusted wags getting a sword.
-They fought for their lives But most of them died

-The angels were crying, As they carried his brothers away. With the fire raining down And the Hell all around
There were few men left standing that day.

Big & Rich 8th of November.

Offline fantazero

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: February 10, 2011, 04:23:51 PM »
Aside from popular belief, rapiers were used even at sea. cutlass is what we associate as pirate weapon, but thats mostly due to the royal navy arming its officers with cutlass. Your basic seamen, sacalywag and pirate used belaying pins, boarding pikes, or what ever was handy. Swords were used by the upper tier on a ship with maybe the botswans mate and a few of the most trusted wags getting a sword.
A Katana is still justifiable , this pirate maybe went to Japan, or met a Japanese ghost. Or if you're me, a Roman Short Sword is the same as a Katana, seeing as I would just use it to hack and slash.  I mean you think if you taught a cowboy from 1860 how to use a Glock he wouldnt trade up?

Offline Ren

• Seriously?
  • AKA: Renmonster The Horgymeister
    • View Profile
    • The Forbidden Dojo 3-D Art
« Reply #528 on: February 10, 2011, 04:24:28 PM »
Yes and a Rapier has far more class than a mere cutlass...8)
And I figure that the Pirate Ghost was a Captain so he likely had a Rapier. Which means that Mike will also likely be driven to learn to use a Rapier as well.
I see several sword-canes in the future. Now I need to go see if Mike Named his Ghost...8)
"Brain Makes My Math Hurt" - me

"Eeyore is my Totem Animal" - me

"Pants are overrated!" - me

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: February 10, 2011, 04:29:10 PM »
And I figure that the Pirate Ghost was a Captain so he likely had a Rapier. Which means that Mike will also likely be driven to learn to use a Rapier as well.
I see several sword-canes in the future. Now I need to go see if Mike Named his Ghost...8)

Well, I suppose what she learns is immaterial.  Almost all of it will translate to basic sword skills - then Melon could buy/choose her own weapon.

Who knows - perhaps she could find an enchanted on in future. :)

Either way, the/a ghost teaching her how to bend ectoplasm in order to make throwing weapons is very important.

In the future, maybe Ethan can notice her using a sword and teach her more.  Ethan has a sword skill of 4.
Myself: If I were in her(Murphy's) position, I would have studied my ass off on the supernatural and rigged up special weapons to deal with them.  Murphy on the other hand just plans to overpower bad guys with the angst of her short woman's syndrome and blame all resulting failures on Harry.

Offline fantazero

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: February 10, 2011, 04:33:55 PM »
Well, I suppose what she learns is immaterial.  Almost all of it will translate to basic sword skills - then Melon could buy/choose her own weapon.

Who knows - perhaps she could find an enchanted on in future. :)

Either way, the/a ghost teaching her how to bend ectoplasm in order to make throwing weapons is very important.

In the future, maybe Ethan can notice her using a sword and teach her more.  Ethan has a sword skill of 4.
I have a sword skill of 9mm ;D

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: February 10, 2011, 05:12:22 PM »
Indeed this is true, but cutlasses WERE popular.  They can be a fairly compact weapon.  The slash of a cutlass is absolutely devastating - similar to a falchion.  When worn, the curved blade makes it a bit easier to move.  The knuckle protection that many of them had built it would be a huge advantage during a close fight on a ship.

There was a reason why military men of the time used them.

+1 on pirates using whatever they could get their hands on, though.  That said, a decent crew would have sacked several ships and had their pick of weapons to choose from.  A successful pirate crew could more than likely be picked out by the quality of their gear.

All of this also depends on what time period the pirate(s) were operating in.  Pirates have used anything from stone axes to AK-47s throughout history.

True - and it's a great dueling weapon.
Unfortunately, it doesn't have a lot of cutting heft and would have limited application against supernatural enemies.

You don't want to impale something that has supernatural strength and claws. :P

That sounds more than reasonable to me.  Sword canes are cool - but they're illegal as hell too.  That may be a compel or at least an issue for characters carrying them in the future.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I personally know how to use a rapier, but I am not a big fan.  

If anyone is using armor, a rapier is all but useless.

On the high seas, this would not be an issue.  Wearing any kind of armor could be the difference between swimming and drowning.  

Still, a small sword does pretty much the same thing but is more compact.  Given the choice, I'd rather have a small sword (which can be equally as classy and beautiful as a rapier).

« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 05:19:20 PM by BumblingBear »
Myself: If I were in her(Murphy's) position, I would have studied my ass off on the supernatural and rigged up special weapons to deal with them.  Murphy on the other hand just plans to overpower bad guys with the angst of her short woman's syndrome and blame all resulting failures on Harry.

Offline fantazero

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: February 10, 2011, 05:28:32 PM »
Sword Canes are legal in Florida if you have a CWL
Everything short of Machine guns and grenades are legal in Florida (But not Texas  ??? )

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=31091

Now would I want to go before a Judge and say The Florida Penal code, sorta kinda says I can carry one around? Fudge No.

Offline Ren

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: February 10, 2011, 05:35:27 PM »
Rapiers, like Pikes, were more or less specifically create to combat knights in plate and chain armor as the thinner blades could seek out and penetrate chinks and gaps in armor that fuller blades could not exploit. And rapiers can have cup-hilts as well as swept-hilts. Many and varied are Rapiers.
But again, Rapiers are SO much classier than Cutlasses and certainly more lady-like...its so much hard to match a cutlass to a great pair of shoes than it is a Rapier...8)

Offline Ren

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: February 10, 2011, 06:19:26 PM »
As a Note: We should start moving discussions that are not directly relevant to the Campaign, System or Setting over to the Solutions Board.

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: February 10, 2011, 06:32:53 PM »
Rapiers, like Pikes, were more or less specifically create to combat knights in plate and chain armor as the thinner blades could seek out and penetrate chinks and gaps in armor that fuller blades could not exploit. And rapiers can have cup-hilts as well as swept-hilts. Many and varied are Rapiers.
But again, Rapiers are SO much classier than Cutlasses and certainly more lady-like...its so much hard to match a cutlass to a great pair of shoes than it is a Rapier...8)

I have to respectfully but strongly disagree.

Rapiers were developed /after/ armor stopped being worn due to firearms easily penetrating it.  Rapiers were not a weapon of war - they were more of a civilian sidearm than anything.

Military men of the time used muskets with bayonets.

Pikes were used in war, yes.  Rapiers were NOT.  A man with a shield and a decent cut and thrust would own a guy with a rapier so fast it would make his head spin.

After the advent of plate, /crushing/ weapons were used on the battlefield... until the advent of the gun.  Plate could shrug off just about any melee weapon other than crushing weapons.  Two handed swords of this time became pointed for halfswording, true... but a longsword is a lot different than a rapier.

Now stilettos and similar daggers could be used while grappling.  A dagger through the eye slits... lights out.

I'm something of a student of history and I've done SCA, SMA, Kenjutsu, and boffer fighting.  I have a lot of knowledge about this subject. :)

The rapier, like the katana, was created to be used against lightly armored or civilian opponents.  Thus the huge and endless debate of "katana vs. rapier".

As a Note: We should start moving discussions that are not directly relevant to the Campaign, System or Setting over to the Solutions Board.

Fair enough. :)

Offline fantazero

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: February 10, 2011, 06:39:00 PM »
I created two accounts on the soultions board, one as Brian and the other as my email address.

Brian has a blog now!  ;D

Offline zegion

• Conversationalist
  • *Taps* -Bugle Call
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: February 10, 2011, 06:59:10 PM »
sword discussion continued on the solutions unlimited forums set up by gloria.
-They fought for their lives But most of them died

-The angels were crying, As they carried his brothers away. With the fire raining down And the Hell all around
There were few men left standing that day.

Big & Rich 8th of November.

Offline fantazero

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: February 11, 2011, 02:44:53 AM »
So if you arent a part of our group and are reading this, what say you?

Offline fantazero

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: February 13, 2011, 04:05:59 AM »