Author Topic: Really Basic Rules Question  (Read 1271 times)

Offline wolff96

• Participant
    • View Profile
Really Basic Rules Question
« on: August 27, 2010, 07:34:12 PM »
I'm about 99% sure I know how this works, but I just want to be absolutely sure.  :)

If a character rolls a Fair defense against a Fair attack using a Weapon: 2, then he takes 0-stress from the hit, but two boxes from the weapon used.

If a character has a Great block running (magic shield) and suffers a Great attack (again, using a Weapon: 2), then rolls that same Fair on his defense, the block is broken and the character takes 0-stress from the hit, but 2 stress from the weapon.

Correct in both cases?

Offline luminos

• Posty McPostington
  • Um... Hello?
    • View Profile
Re: Really Basic Rules Question
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2010, 07:41:04 PM »
correct.
Lawful Chaotic

Offline wyvern

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2010, 07:46:36 PM »
Correct, though I'm not entirely sure sure I'd agree with your wording - in both of your examples the character takes a single two stress hit, thanks to the weapon rating.  The difference becomes apparent if, say, the attack roll was one higher than the defense roll (or block): the defender, in that case, takes a single three stress hit, not a one stress hit and a two stress hit.

Offline wolff96

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2010, 02:41:15 PM »
Correct, though I'm not entirely sure sure I'd agree with your wording - in both of your examples the character takes a single two stress hit, thanks to the weapon rating.  The difference becomes apparent if, say, the attack roll was one higher than the defense roll (or block): the defender, in that case, takes a single three stress hit, not a one stress hit and a two stress hit.

I wouldn't split it up like that normally while running the game, in case someone was using armor from a spell or enchanted item.

I was just trying to keep my question really clear by splitting up the sources of stress in resolving the hit in my answer.

I understand that it's a single stress result, regardless of whether the stress is coming from the difference between attack and defense or the rating of the weapon (or supernatural strength).  Just wanted to break it out to make absolutely sure I was clear.  And thanks for pointing that out if I hadn't realized it.