Author Topic: Quick Lawbreaker Question  (Read 1533 times)

Offline blues.soldier

• Participant
    • View Profile
    • The Action Point-- Gaming from a military perspective
Quick Lawbreaker Question
« on: September 05, 2010, 02:21:50 PM »
No, this isn't another "does my carefully engineered powergamer loophole to do nasty things with magic escape the metaphysical laws of the universe?" kind of question.

YS p.182 says "Gain a +1 bonus to any spellcasting roll whenever using magic in a way which would break the specified Law of Magic." Would you as a GM let that apply to the Power/Complexity roll as well as the Control roll, or just one of the two? I can see arguments both ways, so I'm putting it up here for the more expert types.
"What ever you do, do it for love. If you keep to that, your path will never wander so far from the light that you can never return.”--Uriel

Offline Lanir

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Quick Lawbreaker Question
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2010, 02:42:11 PM »
It's got a pretty hefty price tag. Compare it to Refinement and then choose how you want it to work. I think the intention is for it to apply to every roll though, so as written it would go for control as well as power/complexity. The addition if you have 3 or more sounds like more of a "you poor bastard" thing than something you'd need to keep a close eye on for balance.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2010, 02:49:47 PM by Lanir »

Offline Ophidimancer

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2010, 04:43:56 PM »
There isn't actually a roll for Power, you just decide how many shifts you want to summon.  You only have to roll for Control.

Offline JosephKell

• Conversationalist
  • Total Refresh Cost: +2 (Pure Mortal)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2010, 03:42:24 AM »
There isn't actually a roll for Power, you just decide how many shifts you want to summon.  You only have to roll for Control.
This.

Edit: Also...
No, this isn't another "does my carefully engineered powergamer loophole to do nasty things with magic escape the metaphysical laws of the universe?" kind of question.
LOL.

You can see my opinion from my signature.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2010, 04:56:42 AM by JosephKell »
If you have to ask, it probably breaks a Law of Magic.  You're just trying to get the Doom of Damocles.

Offline infusco

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2010, 03:19:24 PM »
As above.

Oh once my characters willingly decide to turn into lawbreakers, I'd be more than happy as a GM to let them abuse it. It's awful fun watching a character spiral into darkness :)

By the way, am I the only one who thinks that the lawbreaker system in this game is a better way of handling a fall to the dark side than the ones used in the Star Wars RPG?

Offline mostlyawake

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2010, 01:50:33 AM »
My group sided with the key word being "roll".  Thus, if you attacked someone with fire and intent to kill (given 5 conviction, 5 discipline), you'd end up with a base of 5 shifts for power, with essentially a 6 base for discipline to control it, as well as a 6 base for discipline to aim it.  It gives you less points than refinement (because you'd get two +1s), but is possibly broad enough to justify it.