Author Topic: Physical Investment  (Read 2010 times)

Offline Stormraven

• Conversationalist
  • Heading for Left Field at Warp 9
    • View Profile
Physical Investment
« on: August 16, 2010, 04:53:55 PM »
I've run into this as an option in another game (name escapes me off hand) where one could take actual physical effort and apply it to one's magic.

So, in DFRPG terms, that would mean allowing a character to use her physical stress track as well as magical for spell-casting.

What level of refresh would you require for that?  My immediate thought was -2 or -3 - I don't see going much higher because in any conflict, adding physical stress could backfire big time - but I don't see it being cheaper because it does increase their spell-casting, even if only in theory.
I will choose a path that's clear; I will choose Freewill.

The Sorceress Sleuth
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BGUR81W

Offline vonpenguin

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Physical Investment
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2010, 05:10:10 PM »
I'm not an expert on the system but personally I'd make it a stunt that allows endurance to complement conviction for the purpose of determining mental stress. Might need some more balancing though.

Offline Stormraven

• Conversationalist
  • Heading for Left Field at Warp 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2010, 06:24:39 PM »
Well, that's why I defined it as a Supernatural Power, rather than as a Stunt.  And gave it a -2 or -3.  I don't want it to be a complement to Mental Stress, just an additional 'oomph' of power for spellcasting, though at a cost.
I will choose a path that's clear; I will choose Freewill.

The Sorceress Sleuth
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BGUR81W

Offline MijRai

• Posty McPostington
  • "For my next trick, anvils."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2010, 07:53:30 PM »
This is basically what backlash is. You can do it with a spell you mess up the roll on, letting the spell keep its strength by taking physical stress. So, you can do it with a strong spell you know you can't control, and take backlash to keep it at full strength.
Don't make me drop a turkey on you...

DV MijRai v1.2 YR 1 FR 1 BK+++ JB+ TH++ !WG CL SW BC+ RP++++ MC+++ SHMolly++;Murphy+

Offline Archmage_Cowl

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2010, 07:57:39 PM »
I would personally be wary of allow a spell caster to use their physical stress to draw up power. I see it as a potential game breaker. however a power could fairly easily allow a variant type of spellcasting that is done via physical methods instead. Something like...

[-2] Chakra Magic: Allows magic to be channeled from your physical strength  rather than your belief.
Chakra Reserves: You may use your Endurance to draw up power for all spellcasting as though it were conviction. Your conviction modifies these rolls*.
Physical Command: You may use your fist's skill as the controling skill for all spellcasting as though it were discipline. Your discipline modifies these rolls*.
*Note: The modification may not be necessary but i felt it fit the flavour.

That power could very well allow you to cast magic in a completely physical way. Also I think its fairly balanced. I'm not entirerly sure if this is what you are looking for though.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 02:56:36 AM by Archmage_Cowl »
"I who stand in the full light of the heavens, command thee, who opens the gates to hell. Come forth Divine Lightning! This ends now! Indignation!" Jade Curtis Tales of the abyss

Offline Biff Dyskolos

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2010, 02:52:06 AM »
You may use your conviction to draw up power for all spellcasting as though it were conviction.

I think you meant, "You may use your [endurance] to draw up power for all spellcasting as though it were conviction."

Offline Archmage_Cowl

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2010, 02:56:20 AM »
I think you meant, "You may use your [endurance] to draw up power for all spellcasting as though it were conviction."

Thanks! Sorry bout that. It was early for me when i posted that. I'll fix it.
"I who stand in the full light of the heavens, command thee, who opens the gates to hell. Come forth Divine Lightning! This ends now! Indignation!" Jade Curtis Tales of the abyss

Offline Biff Dyskolos

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2010, 03:00:12 AM »
Thanks! Sorry bout that. It was early for me when i posted that. I'll fix it.

Da Nada.