Author Topic: Dealing with a fairy  (Read 1960 times)

Offline Timdog8888

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Dealing with a fairy
« on: August 11, 2010, 04:38:10 PM »
I have a question about a character concept for a feet in the water game I'll be playing.  If I had a pure mortal who unwittingly made a deal with a fairy to gain extremely good luck( which I would represent with an aspect and lots of fate points) and the flipside was that every time had had good luck, it would be followed by some bad luck, could I still take the + 2 refresh for pure mortal?

Offline Ophidimancer

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Dealing with a fairy
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2010, 04:40:54 PM »
I say yes.  It's not a power, it's an Aspect.

Offline HumAnnoyd

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Dresden Files Accelerated: The Emerald City: Requiem
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2010, 04:41:15 PM »
My gut reaction is no.  But then I am sure that there are many on these boards who have more experience than I do.

Oh, an aspect.  Hmmm.  In that case I guess that works. 
It's not the Heat, It's the Humanity.

The Emerald City Dresden Files Accelerated Campaign:   http://fate-accelerated-the-emerald-city.obsidianportal.com/

Offline ballplayer72

• Posty McPostington
  • sweet i love being a pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2010, 04:49:32 PM »
I have a question about a character concept for a feet in the water game I'll be playing.  If I had a pure mortal who unwittingly made a deal with a fairy to gain extremely good luck( which I would represent with an aspect and lots of fate points) and the flipside was that every time had had good luck, it would be followed by some bad luck, could I still take the + 2 refresh for pure mortal?

Aspect yup.      If its some weird form of sponsored magic then no.   
Only a dumb SOB brings a knife to a gunfight

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2010, 05:43:48 PM »
The Pure Mortal bonus is a purely mechanical thing. If he has Powers (as per that chapter of the book) of any sort, then he loses the bonus, if he does not, he keeps the full bonus.

Offline Timdog8888

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2010, 05:45:44 PM »
Yea I was thinking on of his aspects would be "luck of the devil" or something like that, and then I would only take a couple of stunts or so, and have a bunch of fate points available to use in interesting situations. It would also be easy for the gm to compel, which should get me even more fate points to use. Is there anyone who would disallow this? I'd like to hear other opinions if there are any.

Offline MWKilduff

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2010, 12:10:15 AM »
Actually I would allow it.  It is fate point generating and spending machine.  The only thing I would be concerned about as a GM is the fact that it could be abused.  If you have a less experienced GM then you are asking for trouble.  A clever player could use this to succeed and fail just about any roll.
A wink, a smile, and a whole lot more!

Offline austinmonster

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2010, 02:30:59 PM »
I'd say as long as they don't have any refresh-reducing powers, they are still a "pure mortal."  Once they start getting some refresh-subtracting things (other than mortal stunts) then that's some sort of supernatural jazz taking wrapping it's mojo up into them, and therefore, they aren't really mortal anymore. 

yes, I know pure mortal is a purely mechanical thing, but it can bleed into the IC world if you want it.  For example, I have a character in my group who's catch is free will, so any actions committed with a deliberate intent by a mortal (or other creature not bound by their nature... pretty much just mortals and PCs).  Their toughness abilities are just a blessing from Freya to help protect him from the things outside of Midguard.

If it's just an aspect, then it's fine.  it's not changing who THEY are, just what they can do.  the moment it starts changing who they are... then they loose that two point bump. 

If the knight of the winter court ever gets excommunicated, stripped of his status and denied his powers, I'd say that he'd effectively go back to being a pure mortal. 

Offline Timdog8888

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2010, 02:33:20 PM »
yea, i was kinda thinking that with the luck being a 2 way street, that if I tried to get out of hand, the gm could always compel the crap out of me in bad situations to burn some of my fate. or maybe I could write it up in such a way that the luck only kicks in in certain sitautions, like maybe just in fights, or just in places where chance would play a role or something. I'm still working it out.