Author Topic: Supernatural Muslim Fighters  (Read 8876 times)

Offline this dreaming

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Re: Supernatural Muslim Fighters
« Reply #45 on: August 09, 2010, 09:52:40 AM »
How about the Abdals, 40 Sufi True Believers with supernatural powers  (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abdal)? Some of them could be warriors...
And by the way - Judaism have 36 Tzadikim Nistarim keeping people safe from disasters and enemies (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tzadikim_Nistarim).

Offline Lanir

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 09, 2010, 07:07:53 PM »
As has been pointed out already: All the Abrahamic religions are basically variations on the same thing in the DV. Agnostics, Muslims, and a Shinto-Baptist have been known to carry the Swords, so it's not impossible that other pieces of Godly Fun are lying around tied to the Swords and the Denarians.

I think the big thing with the swords is that the Islamic faith has a different story of Jesus than the Christians do. Specifically the Christians have the crucifixion story while the muslims do not. There are other differences as I understand it but that would be the only one that really mattered for this discussion. I'm neither muslim nor christian but I was educated at christian schools; I apologize if I get anything wrong here, it's not intentional. That was why a different take on the swords seemed to fit rather well to me. It would basically mirror the different approaches they take to the central figure (Jesus) in the appropriate legends. I'm an optimist, so I was thinking that if done well it's the sort of thing that could allow people on either side to appreciate similar values and make it mean more to them. Which I think is something that's also done in the novels by the inclusion of the non-christian knights of the cross.

Offline Nomad

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 10, 2010, 02:55:36 AM »
If you want to be accurate, you will probably have to use either Saladin or something from the time of Mohammed himself.

(Like any other religion, current day Islam has a lot of... propaganda mixed in, unfortunately in the form of Fatvas. Fatva is basically a learned scholar of Islam answering a generationally new problem that isn't written in Qran like "is it ok to use dsl connection supplied by a heathen company? ". Saladin and Mohammed eras are probably the only eras (and people / organisations) where you can find decent and unbiased info on)
Waiting eagerly for the day when Arry will enchant a fluorescent tube lamp and use it as a lightsaber.

Quote from: Archangel62
Magically speaking he may be a thug, but tactically speaking...he's the cast of looney tunes after a few bong hits.