Author Topic: How do YOU pronounce ...  (Read 5542 times)

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
Re: How do YOU pronounce ...
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2010, 11:18:39 AM »
yep, that is right.

on a side note: i also have the audio books and not being a native english speaker i was very surprised how americans pronounce feng shui... (
(click to show/hide)
)

How's it supposed to be pronounced? I've always heard "fung shway".
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline Chlorofiend

• Participant
  • Plant Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2010, 05:03:53 PM »
How's it supposed to be pronounced? I've always heard "fung shway".

Tones notwithstanding, that's actually reasonably close to the correct Mandarin pronunciation.
"Little holes are from Marcone's thug. Big dent was a chlorofiend," I said.
"A what?"
"Plant monster."
"Oh. Why don't you just say 'plant monster?'"
"I have my pride."

--Harry and Susan, Death Masks

Offline MrkMllr

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2010, 12:37:43 AM »
FWAY-go and For-ZAR-ay....like Marsters.  That's how I pronounced it before the audio books as well. 

Offline Eridanus

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2011, 05:43:55 PM »
Fuego is Spanish, yes? So "FWAY-go" is right.  If it were Latin, it'd be ignis or flamma, or some variation thereof. (I think fuego is probably actually derived from the Latin focus meaning 'hearth' or 'fireplace', just as luego is derived from locus).

Forzare is NOT Latin; there's no 'z' in Latin--it's only used to represent the Greek 'zeta', but those are just loan-words.  It's probably related to the Italian forza with a Latin -are suffix to make it verbal (why he wants it to be an infinitive, I don't know--but there it is).  Latin for what he wants here is probably something more like ictus or impetus, since the spell seems to imply a physical movement/blow.  Not really sure, as I said, why he went verbal here instead of a noun like he did with the fire spell.

At any rate, I agree--James Marsters' pronunciation of "for-ZAH-ray" is probably correct.

Offline computerking

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Into the Dark
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2011, 07:27:10 PM »
And then there's "Marcone"
Pronouncing it  exactly the way it looks (Mar-CONE). sounds right to me, but I hear a lot ope people pronouncing it Mar-CONE-i, as if the E is not silent, but still alters the O sound from CON to CONE...
I'm the ComputerKing, I can Do Anything...
Into the Dark, A Podcast dedicated to Villainy
www.savethevillain.com

PS: %^#@ Orbius. This may or may not be relevant to the discussion, but whatever.

Offline Richard_Chilton

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2011, 07:37:03 PM »
There's an audio book that shipped with something that should have been edited out.  Well, with a couple of things that needed editing, but at one point Marsters is faced with a latin chant and says something like: "Well how am I supposed to pronounce that? Hell, does anyone want to wait for a couple of hours so we can get a latin speaker in? No, that would be stupid.  I'll just pronounce it BLAH and sound confident and only latin geeks will know if I nailed it or not."
Then goes back to reading, pronouncing it BLAH and making it sound as if he knew what he was saying.

In short - you can't always trust the audio books for pronunciation.

Richard

Offline The Mighty Buzzard

• Posty McPostington
  • Unemployed in Greenland
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2011, 07:58:48 PM »
There's an audio book that shipped with something that should have been edited out.  Well, with a couple of things that needed editing, but at one point Marsters is faced with a latin chant and says something like: "Well how am I supposed to pronounce that? Hell, does anyone want to wait for a couple of hours so we can get a latin speaker in? No, that would be stupid.  I'll just pronounce it BLAH and sound confident and only latin geeks will know if I nailed it or not."
Then goes back to reading, pronouncing it BLAH and making it sound as if he knew what he was saying.

In short - you can't always trust the audio books for pronunciation.

Richard

I so need a copy of that now.
Violence is like duct tape.  If it doesn't solve the problem, you didn't use enough.

My web based NPC formatter, output suitable for copy/paste to boards and wiki, can be found here.

Offline ARedthorn

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2011, 08:15:38 PM »
Latin has no Z (but a hard s sounds vaguely like a z)... but italian does (kind of pronounced zhe... much softer than an english z)
And in latin, it's a good rule of thumb that if you treat EVERY consonant and vowel as a hard (no soft a's, for example).
... so four-ZHAR-A (hard A), IMO.

Truthfully... Marcone probably should have the e pronounced (it's italian after all), but I don't cause it just makes the hard-case crime-lord sound silly to me.

Also, I have a digital copy of that one, MBuzzard... and there's another one that's got a few bits that skipped by the editor. They're quite funny. I could probably be convinced compile them for your enjoyment... so far as I'm aware, it's not copyright piracy to share a clip (or boy, is YouTube in trouble).

Offline Eridanus

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2011, 08:26:24 PM »
Yeah, I agree that "Marcone" should probably be pronounced "Marconi" but, like Capone, probably isn't.  Americanized.

One of the audiobooks has Marsters drop an F-bomb when he screws up a line read, and that doesn't get edited out. It confused the heck out of me and I had to rewind.

Offline Richard_Chilton

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2011, 08:29:00 PM »
That's a though.  Do a montage of book covers and a few of Marsters for the video portion, attach the audio clips, and stick it on youtube.  We're talking about less than a minute for each one and a minute out of a 9 or 10 hour audio - that's got to be fair use.

Richard

Offline The Mighty Buzzard

• Posty McPostington
  • Unemployed in Greenland
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2011, 08:46:32 PM »
Also, I have a digital copy of that one, MBuzzard... and there's another one that's got a few bits that skipped by the editor. They're quite funny. I could probably be convinced compile them for your enjoyment... so far as I'm aware, it's not copyright piracy to share a clip (or boy, is YouTube in trouble).

Unfortunately, it is.  Youtube has service provider immunity from the DMCA though since it's registered, only supplies the service not the content, and complies with DMCA notices from copyright holders.

There'd be fair use arguments for educational and newsworthy uses but the courts have ruled that's a defense rather than a right and we don't fall into any fair use categories in any case.

The above was my take on applicable copyright law as someone who follows it as a hobby and as a content producer.  I am not a lawyer and nothing I've ever said should be taken as legal advice.
Violence is like duct tape.  If it doesn't solve the problem, you didn't use enough.

My web based NPC formatter, output suitable for copy/paste to boards and wiki, can be found here.

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2011, 09:12:03 PM »
Yeah, I agree that "Marcone" should probably be pronounced "Marconi" but, like Capone, probably isn't.  Americanized.

My inclination is also to say it's probably been americanized. My surname is originally from the Italian Chini family (who happens to be a mob family these days), however when my ancestors came over Paulo Chini became Paul Luchene (pronounced Lu-Sheen). Having so many immigrants with different language rules has made a mess of many names.

Offline Magickal_Grenadier

• Participant
  • Oh, what fresh hell is this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2011, 09:22:15 PM »
Fway-go
For-zar-a
Vin-tus Sir-vee-tahs
My Dresden Files purity rating is 43%

Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side, a dark side and it binds the universe together

Offline ALurker

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2011, 05:02:25 PM »
There is a word of Jim that confirms that Marcone is pronounced Mar-cone, not mar-cone-i.