Author Topic: Playing  (Read 1973 times)

Offline lillith

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Playing
« on: August 07, 2010, 03:33:16 AM »
I have been playing RPGs for years and am having trouble figuring out how to play the Dresden game. Can anyone give me advice on how to play. My group has (some have been playing DND since 2nd Edition) but we have been working on this for over a month and need help.

Offline Archmage_Cowl

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Playing
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2010, 03:37:06 AM »
I have been playing RPGs for years and am having trouble figuring out how to play the Dresden game. Can anyone give me advice on how to play. My group has (some have been playing DND since 2nd Edition) but we have been working on this for over a month and need help.

I'll help :) but it would help me if you had some specific questions even if it's only "where do we start?" because this is quite an in depth game so having some specific questions will help you get answers alot better.
"I who stand in the full light of the heavens, command thee, who opens the gates to hell. Come forth Divine Lightning! This ends now! Indignation!" Jade Curtis Tales of the abyss

Offline lillith

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2010, 03:41:53 AM »
How to attack someone

Offline Ophidimancer

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2010, 03:50:51 AM »
Pick an attack Skill (are you making a Physical, Mental, or Social attack?) roll the Fudge dice and add the result to your Skill, then the defender rolls a defense Skill.  Every shift the attacker gets over the defender adds to the Stress the attack causes.

Offline Archmage_Cowl

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2010, 04:03:55 AM »
To build on Ophidimancer here is an example (using physical combat)

Guy A wants to punch Guy B with his fists. Guy A has good(+3) fists. He rolls his fist attack with the fudge dice and gets a +1, so his totall attack is a 4 with a weapon: 0 fist. Guy B doesnt want to get hit so he decides to try and get out the way. Guy B only has average(+1) athletics though. He rolls the fudge dice and gets a 0. So Guy B gets a total of 1 on his dodge. Since Guy A's attack is 3 higher than Guy B's dodge, Guy B takes a third stress hit and marks it down like this

GuyB
Stress
Physical OOXO

Does that help any?
"I who stand in the full light of the heavens, command thee, who opens the gates to hell. Come forth Divine Lightning! This ends now! Indignation!" Jade Curtis Tales of the abyss

Offline lillith

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2010, 04:08:55 AM »
That does help. Thanks.

Offline Ophidimancer

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2010, 04:09:00 AM »
Erg, sorry for the short reply, I'm pretty tired.  I should go to sleep.

Offline Archmage_Cowl

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2010, 04:14:56 AM »
That does help. Thanks.

No problem. Just post any more questions you have and i'll try to help :)

Erg, sorry for the short reply, I'm pretty tired.  I should go to sleep.

your reply was totally fine :) i just figured an example would help (i am an example man myself lol)