Author Topic: What's in the nevernever  (Read 2990 times)

Offline greycouncilmember

• Participant
    • View Profile
What's in the nevernever
« on: July 30, 2010, 04:56:00 PM »
My group and I were discussing the nevernever.  The nevernever is more than just fae right?  What else exists there?  Do demons exist somewhere in the nevernever?

Offline luminos

• Posty McPostington
  • Um... Hello?
    • View Profile
Re: What's in the nevernever
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2010, 05:00:12 PM »
Everything that is not in the human world is in the nevernever (unless its in the Outside, which is Cthulhu type stuff).  Faerie is the part of the nevernever that is most closely aligned to the human world, so its what most ways into the nevernever start out at.  Everything else, every mystical realm there is, is part of the nevernever. 
Lawful Chaotic

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2010, 05:06:45 PM »
Thank you Luminos.  So theoretically it can be where long lost gods of ancient religions would be or demons probably not close to the fae border though.  The farther out you get the more powerful I guess. 

On the same note, with Fae, any thoughts on why some live in the nevernever and some live in the human world like Toot Toot?  Is that something they choose and if so, does that go against their Fae nature? 

Offline dlw32

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2010, 05:10:46 PM »
Are Demons from the Nevernever or are they Outsiders or something else? If they're from the NN, are they susceptible to cold iron?
[size=8]I'd also like to see Harry beat the snot out of Edward Cullen... stalker-vampires, really? That's romantic? I'm getting old.[/size]

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2010, 05:15:07 PM »
Are Demons from the Nevernever or are they Outsiders or something else? If they're from the NN, are they susceptible to cold iron?

I'm pretty sure that only Fae are susceptible to cold iron and they are not Fae :)  I just looked up in the our world book and it says this about demons:
Most demons are beings from somewhere in the Nevernever (many hail from a subdomain called the World Below or Downbelow, which may or may not be Hell)

I guess they are in the nevernever.  Only Fae are susceptible to cold iron though.

Offline Stormraven

• Conversationalist
  • Heading for Left Field at Warp 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2010, 05:15:46 PM »
According to the book (YS) Demons are from the Nevernever, but some would love to kick down the gates to Outside.

Vulnerability depends entirely on the nature of the creature.  Demons are most likely vulnerable to Holy attacks, and depending on your source, some may be vulnerable to Silver.
I will choose a path that's clear; I will choose Freewill.

The Sorceress Sleuth
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BGUR81W

Offline luminos

• Posty McPostington
  • Um... Hello?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2010, 05:17:45 PM »
Also, consider that in the Dresdenverse, the term demon is sometimes used as a generic term for anything from the nevernever.
Lawful Chaotic

Offline CMEast

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2010, 05:21:31 PM »
So if hell is there then 'heaven' might be part of the nevernever too. I wonder if it's just angels and demons or if there are mortal souls too? If so, an explorer might be able to travel from the mortal world to hell or heaven and back.

Though of course, they might be separate and distinct worlds rather than countries in the nevernever, or perhaps you can cross from one to the other if you know where the door is, or if you have the right key.

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2010, 05:25:09 PM »
So if hell is there then 'heaven' might be part of the nevernever too. I wonder if it's just angels and demons or if there are mortal souls too? If so, an explorer might be able to travel from the mortal world to hell or heaven and back.

Though of course, they might be separate and distinct worlds rather than countries in the nevernever, or perhaps you can cross from one to the other if you know where the door is, or if you have the right key.

Of course if one of those doors was to open would it be possible to close it again?  hmm, something is keeping the run of the mill demon from jumping across into fae and coming through the next portal that some unlucky wizard opens...

Offline Bruce Coulson

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2010, 05:48:27 PM »
Trying to find the door to the Higher Realms (aka Heaven) might involve a brief encounter with winged figures with flaming swords...

And demons cannot enter the Mundane World unless invited/summoned, per the conditions set down upon them.  Of course, they're always willing to make a deal for such access.

Basically, if it's not on Earth, or completely Outside, then it's in the Nevernever...somewhere.
You're the spirit of a nation, all right.  But it's NOT America.

Offline finnmckool

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2010, 06:02:27 AM »
the general rule of thumb is...the less you see it on this plane of existence, the "Deeper" into the Nevernever it is, and the harder it is to find or get to. And the more difficult it is for that thing to "impact" our reality directly. Remember...the Nevernever is not a country to explore. It's a multiverse of realities where physics shifts constantly. And the deeper in you go, the stranger it gets. It may be that the deeps of the Nevernever require you to "give up your physical body" entirely. You know...die.

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2010, 12:33:58 PM »
That makes sense, but do you think that when wizards are travelling between areas through the nevernever that they are always in Fae lands or do they cross into other places as well?

Offline neko128

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2010, 02:38:50 PM »
That makes sense, but do you think that when wizards are travelling between areas through the nevernever that they are always in Fae lands or do they cross into other places as well?

The Fae lands are described as the sections of the Nevernever closest to the real world; so as a rule, if the wizards are specifically using the Nevernever for transport, they will strongly tend to remain in Faerie.  Leaving Faerie would necessitate going deeper into the Nevernever and moving away from their destination.

Offline Bloodwork

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2010, 04:53:14 PM »
I wonder if the beings who actually live in the never never think that earth is another part of the never never. It would be outside their world.

Offline Saedar

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2010, 08:54:17 PM »
I wonder if the beings who actually live in the never never think that earth is another part of the never never. It would be outside their world.

I would think it unlikely. "Earth" is a place with yummy-nummy mortal souls. From what I understand, mortality is something distinctly absent from the Nevernever, unless it goes there from Earth-place.