Author Topic: Gear with aspects  (Read 1922 times)

Offline Doc Nova

• Conversationalist
  • Who needs a cab?
    • View Profile
Gear with aspects
« on: August 02, 2010, 12:38:32 AM »
I was chatting with a player of mine and we were talking about how wonderful aspects were and their applications to oh so many things.  During all of this, the idea of mundane equipment with their own aspects came up...like Laser Sight, or Muscle Car, or Tricked Out Graphics Card, or even "bad" aspects, like Inaccurate or Cheap.

Naturally, this led to the question of how this would be implemented, and this is what I came up with:

Modeling it on the cost of equipment via the Resources skill, you could acquire the item as listed, at the "price" listed, without anything additional.  You could drop a cost level and slap on an almost purely negative aspect (like the aforementioned "Cheap"), or increase the cost and slap on an appropriate and applicable (and now "universal") aspect to represent something "extra".

This would easily allow for things like Armor Piercing, Concealable, Wall of Lead, Sensitive Controls, Reinforced, High-Resolution, Image Magnification, Night Vision, etc.

So, now I have two questions (relating to this, anyway): 

1) How expensive should an aspect be when adjudicating the Resources acquisition increase?

and

2) Is this even a good idea in the first place?  It does allow wealthy characters to, effectively, "buy" some aspects.  Granted, they aren't as "free form" as player-selected aspects, they can be taken away, and "what is good for the goose" and all that, meaning the NPCs could do it, too.

Thoughts from this most excellent and insightful community would be most appreciated...

Doc.  8)

Offline MWKilduff

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Gear with aspects
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2010, 12:44:19 AM »
I have no problem with this for any character.  Quality certainly makes a difference with the gear you use.  And, the rich have always had a leg up on the common folk because they can buy the best.
A wink, a smile, and a whole lot more!

Offline luminos

• Posty McPostington
  • Um... Hello?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2010, 12:48:29 AM »
2.)  Its a very good idea in my opinion, and one that when implemented adds a layer of interesting on top of the Resources skill, which as it stands is kind of bland.

1.)  No idea.  I'd say just figure out how useful that aspect is, and go by that for figuring out what aspects get added.  Alternatively, consider making declarations about the item using the resources skill, and setting the difficulty the standard way for declarations.

Adding aspects to items is also a possible use of Craftsmanship.  In fact, I'd say it should be easier to make the skill check to see if the item has the aspect if you try to Craft it on than if you try to outright find a way to buy the aspected item.
Lawful Chaotic

Offline Doc Nova

• Conversationalist
  • Who needs a cab?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2010, 01:15:33 AM »
Adding aspects to items is also a possible use of Craftsmanship.  In fact, I'd say it should be easier to make the skill check to see if the item has the aspect if you try to Craft it on than if you try to outright find a way to buy the aspected item.

Well...with that in mind...maybe it should be something like +2 acquisition cost for an aspect (barring hyper-useful ones) and +1 crafting difficulty?  I a hesitant on making it too easy to buy, as I don't want the game turning into a shopping excursion, but, as pointed out, it does reflect some of the advantages the wealthy have over folks like me, as well as give some oomph to the Resources skill.

I just don't want gear aspects overshadowing character aspects...and yeah, I realize, as the GM, ultimately that responsibility rests on my shoulders...I'd just rather not open Pandora's Box by accident.

Thanks for the thoughts so far, too!

Offline CMEast

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2010, 07:29:10 AM »
I've been thinking about something like this myself though I hadn't thought of resources, that's very cool. The only issue is that it adds a layer of complexity to the game, specifically to conflicts. If there are four players and six thugs, each with an aspected weapon (an extreme example but possible) then the GM will need to keep track of each weapon. Not a huge issue really, but worth noting when you consider the possibility of aspects on other items - armour, focus items, vehicles etc.

On the plus side, it also strengthens the Pure Mortal template as there are more taggable aspects.

My thinking on it before had been regarding manoeuvres on weapons to add or subtract aspects, specifically magic but mundane manoeuvres too. Setting weapons on fire, making them extra sharp, adding a demonic pilot with a never-ending rage and a thirst for blood... hmm, that last one could make for a fun character.

Offline Walker_Blade

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2010, 07:40:25 AM »
Wouldn't this fall under the declarations bit?  You have a high quality sniper rifle?  Make a declaration using firearms to temporarily give it the "Accurate" aspect.  Or when dodging a cheap crappy gun make a declaration to place the "Inaccurate"  aspect on that.

Offline CMEast

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2010, 07:49:54 AM »
Yeah a resources declaration might well work as well.

Offline JosephKell

• Conversationalist
  • Total Refresh Cost: +2 (Pure Mortal)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2010, 08:34:57 AM »
If such an object is really important to a character, it might be best applied as an aspect on the character.

So a street racer might have "My father's Detroit Muscle."
If you have to ask, it probably breaks a Law of Magic.  You're just trying to get the Doom of Damocles.

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2010, 08:43:41 AM »
Yeah, this just sounds like a use of Resources Declarations to me.

Offline Doc Nova

• Conversationalist
  • Who needs a cab?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2010, 11:37:44 AM »
I suppose that a Resources declaration is precisely what I am talking about, so maybe just following those guidelines will work, keep it "in-system" without getting all complicated and unwieldy.  I'll take a look at that and thank you for all of the responses!