Author Topic: Interaction of mind-shapeshifting and body-shapeshifting  (Read 954 times)

Offline Tel

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Interaction of mind-shapeshifting and body-shapeshifting
« on: July 31, 2010, 08:32:33 AM »
I'm working on a lycanthrope(well, kuknanthrope) concept that also has the ability to voluntarily shapeshift into a swan. As far as I can tell, there doesn't seem to be any hard and fast reason why a character couldn't maintain a mind-only shift and a body-only shift at the same time, but the interactions would probably be interesting, approaching Hexenswan territory. Any thoughts, on a general as well as a specific level?

Offline wyvern

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Interaction of mind-shapeshifting and body-shapeshifting
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2010, 03:50:03 PM »
On the general level: There's no particular reason that - if it's character appropriate and your GM agrees to it - a plain old Beast Change power can't modify mental stats.  Intimidate is probably the poster child for that sort of shifting (it's pretty obvious how a giant wolf could be more intimidating than some random person), but I statted up one character that was mucking around with shapeshifting magic well above his skill level and ended up with an alternate form that just plain thought a bit differently than he did as a normal person - in this case, raising conviction, but lowering discipline, making him a bit more likely to act on impulse, and a bit more certain in what he was doing once he started doing it.  Sure, that could also be aspect territory (Wolves Don't Think Like People would make a great aspect, for example), but I decided I didn't want to give it quite that strong a set of game-mechanics teeth.

On a specific level, I think you get fairly solid mileage out of just the appropriate aspects.  (For reference, the character sheet for the OP's swan-of-doom can be found here: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,19329.30.html )