Author Topic: Changling Character  (Read 5144 times)

Offline Doc Nova

• Conversationalist
  • Who needs a cab?
    • View Profile
Re: Changling Character
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2010, 12:40:45 AM »
If that's the case, why not just take Glamours?

...or to be a bit more current...

What luminos said!
 8)

Offline John Galt

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2010, 02:16:37 AM »
My response in a number of bullet points:

A) This is for a Submerged game as the original clearly stated - so you don't have to "worry" about it.
B) Yes I did get this idea from you, and for that I thank you as I still think its pretty cool.
C) The term "Broken" can only be applied if the opposition is a weaker opposing force which equals blandness and no challenge.
D) I respect you Galt as a person, but if you cannot refrain from base rudeness I am not sure I want you in any game of mine.That is not to say I am giving you the boot now, but if you cannot be civil, you will force my hand.

A.  Its too powerful for our game.  It blows any PC at submerged way out of the water.
B. I gave you the idea for an enemy it would take a whole group at 18 refresh to face.
C. It's utterly broken.  If you optimized its skill set its twice as powerful as anything at its refresh level.
D. I don't think I've been rude.  I have expressed my concern to you about GMPC's and you continue to make threads asking the community to help you break the game.  I'm willing to try anyway, but I won't play in a game where all PCs are overshadowed by your characters.   Everyone wants to be relevant.

Offline Sinister

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2010, 03:44:03 AM »
This thread is kind of funny, because this is the sort of character I came up with about 3 weeks ago.  I wanted to play a sort of "the shadow" kind of changeling faerie that stood in the darkness and tormented bad guys with fear sort of like the shadow does on the radio show and alec baldwin movie. My GM wasn't the least concerned about the full glamour since you can only have one object at a time, he was much much more concerned with me attacking the least protectable stat (since I can't find mental armor anywhere but found social armor).  He was pretty convinced I would one hit guys out of combat and into the looney bin.  I think that while greater glamours is powerful, it's nothing compared to an armor 4 mental weapon at range.

Offline John Galt

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2010, 01:13:44 PM »
Its the combination of the two that's the problem.  You can stand back and mentally take out any opponent before they can even find you.

Offline Lanir

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2010, 02:09:56 PM »
Kind of ran across this thread late but it had some interesting ideas in it.

Fate point drought/monsoon: Still reading up on the system but my impression so far is that as long as a pure mortal character can still function beside your uber-whatsits and you can see that they have noticably more fate points to spend, then anything beyond that is a group or GM preference. Supernaturally powered characters have "always on" power, pure mortals have problems and complications interspersed with bouts of dramatic coolness fueled by sheer adrenaline and Fate points.

PC or NPC powers: I recall reading somewhere that they deliberately avoided labeling much of anything as an NPC power because people are comfortable with different things in their games.

Relative power levels within groups: Many games don't bother too much with power level balancing between characters. The basic character choices (templates or classes for example) are usually at least somewhat balanced but you can twink out in any modern game system if that's your goal. GMs generally have to keep an eye on that themselves. To some extent it's also not about how much you can use or abuse power either, it's how you play. I've had characters handed to me in other games that could have single handedly devoured the whole party I was in but at the same time I worked out motives with the GM that would keep it hidden in the background for a later dramatic reveal. This works fine for me because I'm more of a story-centric and subtle player. Some of the other people in the group really would have turned around and eaten the whole party though, so I'm hardly giving a blanket recommendation here. I guess the key question would be "Where is the fun for you in playing an untouchable uber faerie sniper that's a completed concept before play begins?" That's not a value judgement, the most important answer there is one you give yourself. Oh, one last problem with an imbalanced approach: No matter how much of a soft touch you are with the power, if you have it on your character sheet and other players find out about it (they usually will sooner or later) then you'll run into jealousy issues unless they trust you and the GM as much as the GM trusts you.