Author Topic: Get it Right!!!  (Read 4074 times)

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
Re: Get it Right!!!
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2010, 04:09:40 AM »
That has long been one of my favorite comments of all time. But then, I'm a linguigeek.

So long as you remember to credit it to James D. Nicoll, who actually said it, rather than to the Star Trek novel where Diane Duane had Kirk say it. (Purely by accident of forgetting where she heard it, all is amiable, but the source error still propagates, so.)
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2010, 04:11:57 AM »
In the spirit of lite-hearted discussion on the failings of literacy lately I present unto ya'll

http://www.buzzfeed.com/awesomer/how-to-sell-books

One wonders how aware the bookstore people are that at least one of the books with a spaceship on the cover contains large quantities of swords within (the WJW) and vce versa (the Wolfe).
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2010, 07:30:08 AM »
I am so glad I am not alone in this complaint...I have a T-shirt that reads; "English doesn't so much borrow from languages as it follows them down an alley, knocks them down and goes through their pockets for loose grammar"

I LIKE that T-Shirt, Renfield.  I don't always use the language the way it should be used but I do appreciate its nuances and those who use it well.
Have you ever read - Mrs. Byrne's Dictionary of Unusual, Obscure, and Preposterous Words.  by Josefa Heifetz Byrne.  You'll love it.

ghoom - (anglo-Indian) means to hunt in the dark
dzo - a hybrid between a Yak and a domestic cow

There are many, many more words - some even weirder and wilder.

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2010, 09:46:23 AM »
So long as you remember to credit it to James D. Nicoll, who actually said it, rather than to the Star Trek novel where Diane Duane had Kirk say it. (Purely by accident of forgetting where she heard it, all is amiable, but the source error still propagates, so.)

I don't read Star Trek novels, so I couldn't have misattributed it. For that matter, I had no idea Nicoll said it, so I couldn't even have attributed it. :D
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline LizW65

• Posty McPostington
  • Better Red than dead...
    • View Profile
    • elizabethkwadsworth.com
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2010, 01:53:12 PM »
I don't read Star Trek novels, so I couldn't have misattributed it. For that matter, I had no idea Nicoll said it, so I couldn't even have attributed it. :D

I would have guessed Terry Pratchett, myself.  It bears a certain similarity to his "town where curiousity not only kills the cat, it drops it off the pier with lead weights tied around its feet" quote.
"Make good art." -Neil Gaiman
"Or failing that, entertaining trash." -Me
http://www.elizabethkwadsworth.com

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2010, 03:36:23 PM »
I would have guessed Terry Pratchett, myself.  It bears a certain similarity to his "town where curiousity not only kills the cat, it drops it off the pier with lead weights tied around its feet" quote.

Lemme guess - Ankh-Morpork???

Offline Enjorous

• Seriously?
  • Prince of the Gutter since 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2010, 05:35:33 PM »
...I think I want to shop at that bookstore.

I do too!
Kentucky Fried Shuriken - Finger Lickin' Death.
Quote from: horsehearted
Nah, women are just batshit crazy ALL the time!  :D
87.1% Dresden Pure rank: Nicodemus