Author Topic: The Pen IS the Sword...?  (Read 4329 times)

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: The Pen IS the Sword...?
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2010, 11:29:19 PM »
I'd probably handle it as a Conjuration effect. It's the simplest, and likely easiest, way.

As an Item of Power, it's just a +1 Item, instead of a +2 (since it's easier to conceal).

Offline Todjaeger

• Conversationalist
  • Dresden Files Alpha Burn Playtester
    • View Profile
    • Butchered New Haven campaign site
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2010, 12:16:07 AM »
Or is the pen actually a mobile pocket to the Nevernever where you can hold the sword's blade? Or do you compact the metal down super densely so that the pen weighs as much as the sword? In the end it's magic and there are a ton of ways to do it, do what works for you and your group.

It is certainly possible to have part of the sword stored in the Nevernever when the rest of the sword is not needed.  But there is also then risk that someone/thing in the Nevernever might get their hands (or claws, fangs, etc) on that portion.  As for compacting the metal down so it only occupies the same volume as a pen, it would still have the mass of a sword, which depending on the sword can run from ~4-15 lbs.

Hence the question on how it would actually be handled.  Some how the size, mass, and/or density has to change.
Kill the Child, Doom the World...  Or is it, Kill the Child, Save the World?

Dresden Files Purity test: http://knnn.x10.mx/purity2/purity.html

My results: http://knnn.x10.mx/purity2/purity-result.html?55:70:18:23:6:6:17:26:11:27:11:37:14:41:20:28:3:5:

Offline Morgan

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2010, 01:00:52 AM »
I think most things in the Nevernever would leave the three feet of Sharpened Iron pretty well alone. But you're right that it's possible, and wouldn't that make a great scene aspect or compel as the Attorney at Lore is surrounded by a now hostile Unseelie negotiating team after talks have really fallen through, he clicks on his trusty pen and gets nothing because someone has stolen the blade?

Also I'm not about to get into the whole "how much do swords weigh?" argument on the internet, but I have a feeling that something like a rapier or short sword wouldn't be anywhere near that heavy, even if a two handed sword does. But again that might make a great compel to have the security guard drop the contents of the scanning dish on the floor tries to pick up the pen, and now wonders why that Pen the Lawyer was trying to get past the courthouse metal detector seems to be dense enough to be made out of Uranium?

Offline Todjaeger

• Conversationalist
  • Dresden Files Alpha Burn Playtester
    • View Profile
    • Butchered New Haven campaign site
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2010, 05:01:32 AM »
Being in the Nevernever might leave a stick of iron or steel alone, or they might decide to do something about it.  I could see some of the Fae getting annoyed at the presence of the Bane in their demesne and then develop an unhealthy interest in tracking the object back to the source in the normal world. 

There is also the little issue of what happens if the pen holder is behind a threshold (inside a church, a Circle, etc) I would imagine that would prevent the sword portion from being able to replace/rejoin the pen.  There is also some interesting comments on page #275 of YS about conjuring a sword, which would seem to cover what the original poster wanted behind having a magic "pen". 

Just wanted to note regarding sword weight, given the vast differences in blade style I was figuring the "sword" would weigh somewhere between ~4lbs and 15+ lbs, depending on whether or not the wielder wanted something like a dress or fencing foil, up to something like a Scottish claymore.  Having done some checking, a Coldsteel sword-cane has a weight without the caneshaft of ~16 oz/1 lb, though that is for a "sword" blade that is only ~24"/2 ft in length, which is really more like a long dagger than a sword.  A sample of a dozen Elizabethan era rapiers on display in the White Tower dating from 1590-1616 are generally between 36"/3 ft to 52"/4 ft 4 inches in blade length with an average of 42"/ 3.5 ft and weighing between 2.06 lbs to 3.12 lbs with an average of ~2.5 lbs.  The long and short of it being that a fencing blade of some type (foil, epee, rapier or saber) would be a little bit light than the low end I mentioned of ~4 lbs, but still a good deal heavier than a pen should be.  And having routinely carried something of about that weight (~16.5 oz) in my pocket, the weight in noticeable in the way the item rides and how it makes clothing hang.
Kill the Child, Doom the World...  Or is it, Kill the Child, Save the World?

Dresden Files Purity test: http://knnn.x10.mx/purity2/purity.html

My results: http://knnn.x10.mx/purity2/purity-result.html?55:70:18:23:6:6:17:26:11:27:11:37:14:41:20:28:3:5:

Offline ahunting

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2010, 06:38:32 AM »
It really is simple, just only get +1 back for item of power for the pen part. That allows it to be easily concealed apparently as a pen. Now for its real ability to always be available unless plot dictate otherwise I'd go with a -1, then give it true aim for -1, it sword made of celestial Bronze Weapon:3 doesn't hurt mortals at -1 and you have -2 item of power.