Author Topic: Planning battle scenes  (Read 7420 times)

Offline Velkyn_Faer

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Planning battle scenes
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2007, 05:20:07 PM »
*gives a little laugh* Well, I have now purchased Midieval Total War II and played around with it a little, and I am willing to change my earlier position, if only slightly. As eviladam said, battle is total chaos,but some of the elements in MTW II could be used to set upa battle, though possibly not to actually fight it, due to the unpredictablility of the computer and the fact that it won't do as you please when it is fighting you.

But, if you like visual, then it might work for you for basic movements and such. I would not advise buying the game for that reason, but it could work if you have a friend who owns it or you have it already.

Though the army men idea that Soulcatcher78 proposed is a lot cheaper and you can move the units as you please, but it's all a matter of taste. (Thanks for the idea, I might give that a try.)

Taylor

Offline trboturtle

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Trboturtle's writing pad
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2007, 02:06:04 AM »
*gives a little laugh* Well, I have now purchased Midieval Total War II and played around with it a little, and I am willing to change my earlier position, if only slightly. As eviladam said, battle is total chaos,but some of the elements in MTW II could be used to set upa battle, though possibly not to actually fight it, due to the unpredictablility of the computer and the fact that it won't do as you please when it is fighting you.

But, if you like visual, then it might work for you for basic movements and such. I would not advise buying the game for that reason, but it could work if you have a friend who owns it or you have it already.

Though the army men idea that Soulcatcher78 proposed is a lot cheaper and you can move the units as you please, but it's all a matter of taste. (Thanks for the idea, I might give that a try.)

Taylor

I think I wasn't clear earlier. MTW is good for getting an idea of what each area had for an army. And it's good for getting an idea of tactics and things not to do (Calvery vs well supported Pikeman, not a good idea.....) It can't replace plotting, but it's good for getting an idea of the types and effectness of the different units.

Craig
Author of 25+ stories for Battlecorps.com, the official website for Battletech canon stories.
Co-author of "Outcasts Ops: African Firestorm," "Outcast Ops: Red Ice," & "Outcast Ops: Watchlist"
http://thebattletechstate.blogspot.com

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2007, 08:41:24 PM »
The absolute gold standard for this is pre-WWI training manuals, which are hard to find, but are very useful indeed for getting the numbers right on exactly how far you can expect a human to march in a day longterm and so on.  I know the GURPS basic set is pretty solid on the primary sources it uses for this kind of thing.

Also, there's a book, I can't remember the title exactly but it has "Duffer's Drift" in it so google on that - it may even be online by now, it's cetainly way out of copyright - which is a brilliant small unit combat manual in the form of a nervous young officer having recurrent nightmares the day before the battle in question that illustrate all the ways real battles of that size go wrong.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline trboturtle

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Trboturtle's writing pad
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2007, 08:31:12 AM »
The absolute gold standard for this is pre-WWI training manuals, which are hard to find, but are very useful indeed for getting the numbers right on exactly how far you can expect a human to march in a day longterm and so on.  I know the GURPS basic set is pretty solid on the primary sources it uses for this kind of thing.

Also, there's a book, I can't remember the title exactly but it has "Duffer's Drift" in it so google on that - it may even be online by now, it's cetainly way out of copyright - which is a brilliant small unit combat manual in the form of a nervous young officer having recurrent nightmares the day before the battle in question that illustrate all the ways real battles of that size go wrong.

Which sounds alot like it was based on the Battle of Roark's Drift, during the Zulu War of 1878. In short, a small unit of British Soldiers (less then 200) werre attacked by 4000 Zulus at a station called Roak's Drift (Drift is a term used in South Africa to describe a river ford) In a day and night, the British soldiers managed to hold off the Zulu warriors. (Which was better then what happened the British column that had enter Zulu land earlier -- think the battle of Little Big Horn, with Zulu in the role of Indians....) The movie Zulu (one of Michel Cane's first starring roles) is a good place to start.

Craig
Author of 25+ stories for Battlecorps.com, the official website for Battletech canon stories.
Co-author of "Outcasts Ops: African Firestorm," "Outcast Ops: Red Ice," & "Outcast Ops: Watchlist"
http://thebattletechstate.blogspot.com

Offline Whitestreak

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2007, 01:03:03 AM »
Probably one of the best examples of battle writing is in Jeff Michael Shaara's The Killer Angels, which while is based upon the Battle of Gettysburg, should be considered for reading for those wishing to write large scale battles.

Steven Barnes' books Lion's Blood and Zulu Heart are also very good examples of battle scenes. (I also think that Barnes ranks alongside RAH and Louis L'Amour in his fight scenes, which, of course, are different than battle scenes.)

As others have written here, it depends upon which you prefer to focus on - the overall battle, or just what your main character(s) see and experience.

(post edited to correct author's name)
« Last Edit: April 09, 2007, 12:47:06 AM by Whitestreak »

Offline Velkyn_Faer

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2007, 09:26:03 PM »
I think I wasn't clear earlier. MTW is good for getting an idea of what each area had for an army. And it's good for getting an idea of tactics and things not to do (Calvery vs well supported Pikeman, not a good idea.....) It can't replace plotting, but it's good for getting an idea of the types and effectness of the different units.

Craig

Ah, now I understand. Yes, *laughs* using cavalry against pikemen in the game (or in real life, of course) is an easy way to lose a battle.

Best of luck in planning your battle!

Taylor

Offline ballplayer72

• Posty McPostington
  • sweet i love being a pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2007, 08:58:33 PM »
Well, if you are writing in first person, then your MC could be leading his patrol, and they get spotted and their only chance of survivial is to attack the enemy RIGHT NOW!!!. Or if you are using magic in your book, the MC could notice some big wig Muckety Muck casting some sort of spell, or summoning a demon, or something that provides to great of an opportunity to pass on. Thus kablowie thus death.
Only a dumb SOB brings a knife to a gunfight