Author Topic: One-at-a-time limit on Lesser Glamours?  (Read 1642 times)

Offline Ophidimancer

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
One-at-a-time limit on Lesser Glamours?
« on: August 03, 2010, 06:55:10 PM »
I know that there's a limit on the number of True Seemings you can do, but what about the seemings and veils of Lesser Glamours, do you guys rule that there's a limit on those?  Or do you think a changeling should be able to use Glamours on however many things they want as long as they do it one action at a time?

Offline wyvern

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: One-at-a-time limit on Lesser Glamours?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2010, 07:12:24 PM »
(note: the following is entirely my own opinion, and, as far as I can tell, is neither supported nor countered by the actual rules.)

I tend to rule that there *is* a limit, but that it's a relatively generous one.  You can glamour up yourself, and an ally or two (assuming they fall into the category of someone who's made some kind of pact with you), and your pet cat, and then, as you try to stretch your power further to make your motorcycle look like a horse, I throw an appropriate compel at you - a changeling might find himself shifting more towards fey due to working with that much power at once; someone who has glamours through an item of power might find that he's attracted the attention of whoever gave him the item (and/or ordinary fey in the area), etc.

So, no making the army of mercenaries you hired all look like goblins.  But a pair of ninjas?  That could work.

Offline Ophidimancer

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2010, 07:17:11 PM »
That sounds fair.  What do you think about using one's Deceit or Discipline (whichever one you use for Glamours) rating for a yardstick, as a rule of thumb?

Offline wyvern

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2010, 07:22:18 PM »
That also sounds fair; up to that number of reasonably sized items; possibly fewer larger items within whatever limits the GM thinks is appropriate; and you can exceed those parameters by a bit (roughly two items worth, say?) with either a fate point spent to invoke an appropriate aspect, or by accepting a compel on an appropriate aspect.

Sounds like a pretty solid house rule to me.

Offline wyvern

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2010, 07:26:54 PM »
Though, on second thought, I'd probably still be a bit flexible.  If your PC group needs to disguise themselves as wandering desert nomads, say, and there are four PCs but the guy with glamours only has deceit 3, I wouldn't require a fate point to disguise all four; that would just be rude.

Offline luminos

• Posty McPostington
  • Um... Hello?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2010, 07:28:29 PM »
My take on it:  It's not a problem unless its a problem.  You don't need a limit on seemings unless someone is just going overboard with it, in which case, you should probably review what the restrictions on it are, and interpret those less losely.  If someone is glamouring an armor with seemings, you should really tighten up on what counts as a pact.  If he is glamouring his surroundings to make everything look like a mad world of his own design, really focus in on restricting it to things that he owns, or things that derive some of their nature from the fact that he owns them.  Lastly, make sure you treat these as small illusions, and not the creation of the things they are seeming like.  That is specifically what true seemings are for.
Lawful Chaotic

Offline Todjaeger

• Conversationalist
  • Dresden Files Alpha Burn Playtester
    • View Profile
    • Butchered New Haven campaign site
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2010, 05:56:45 AM »
As a 'house' rule for glamours, I would generally keep the total amount of stuff altered via Seemings to occupy about the same amount of space that could be covered via Minor Veils.  It would not necessarily all have to be clustered together like a Minor Veil would, but the overall space taken up should be similar in my opinion.

As an example, a Seeming could make a VW Bug look like a Mercedes instead, but that effect could not also be applied to a second car.

A pair of mopeds could appear like full motorcycles via a pair of Seemings, but a half dozen such Seemings would be too great to maintain.
Kill the Child, Doom the World...  Or is it, Kill the Child, Save the World?

Dresden Files Purity test: http://knnn.x10.mx/purity2/purity.html

My results: http://knnn.x10.mx/purity2/purity-result.html?55:70:18:23:6:6:17:26:11:27:11:37:14:41:20:28:3:5: