Poll

should humans be able to produce ofspring with alien and/or magical beings?

Yes
2 (8%)
yes but only certain ones
20 (80%)
No
1 (4%)
no because its overused
2 (8%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Author Topic: Cross Species Breeding in fantasy sifi  (Read 19365 times)

Offline Nickeris86

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Cross Species Breeding in fantasy sifi
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2010, 04:30:54 PM »
i have heard of it being done in SciFi but i can't recall any specifics at this time. oh wait they did it a few times on Andromda with Neechians and Humans. (Neechians looked just like humans but had bone spikes on their forearms)

and on Farscape Luxens could breed with Peacekeepers (which were identical to humans) and one of the main characters had a son who popped up from time to time.

@Nickeris86
I heard the AVP books were amazing, and the newest Predators adaptation by Trouble Maker studios is trying to go back to the roots of the first two movies, and get away from the AVP adaptations.

the first two are great, but they get kinda repetitive after that. i saw the new Predators movie and i was not that impressed, it was entertaining but they radically changed the mythose of the predators, and changed their behavior radically, they also did something that i thought was rather stupid but won't mention here for spoiler reasons.
In the darkest hour i shall be there.

Offline MoSeS

• Posty McPostington
  • Take two tablets and call me in the morning.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2010, 02:40:32 PM »
the first two are great, but they get kinda repetitive after that. i saw the new Predators movie and i was not that impressed, it was entertaining but they radically changed the mythose of the predators, and changed their behavior radically, they also did something that i thought was rather stupid but won't mention here for spoiler reasons.

I don't want to get too off topic, but I actually enjoyed the newest Predator installment. It was by no means AMAZING, but I would say a 8 out of 10 (maybe give or take half a point).

I thought it to be much better than the AVP movies but I already love Trouble Maker studios so I was already inclined to like it anyways, but I also like most of the cast memebers too.

Sadly AVP movies had potential but they turned out to be crap, well the 2nd one really, the 1st was not near as bad.

Paul Anderson, the director of AVP is a decent director.......kind of......well he did a bunch of movies based off of things I love. I loved Soldier w/ Kurt Russell, he also did Mortal Kombat, Event Horizon, Resident Evil, and he returned to direct the 4th Resident Evil. So it's too bad AVP wasn't a little better, I think the cinematography suffered most, 90% of the action scenes I couldn't tell what the hell was happening.

Colin Strause is the guy who directed and killed the AVP franchise. The biggest movie he ever directed was.........wait for it...........AVP: Requim. He is really a Visual Effects guy who has done effects for a bunch of movies, but he isn't a really a director, I don't know what genius at the studio was like, "hey you! visual effects guy, get over here and direct this."

Anyhow I wouldn't mind seeing a more Predator installments, and though Nimród Antal hasn't really directed anything great, I like that he decided to go back to the roots of the first two Predator movies and he even said he wants to get away from the AVP movies because the were getting way over the top and he wants to bring it back to a simpler straightfoward action sci-fi.

Offline Nickeris86

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2010, 05:41:42 PM »
yeah i would prefer if they went back to the predators just hunting us without feeling the need to add more too it,
(click to show/hide)
, that really pissed me off. the formula of us vs. them worked people need to stop trying to fix things that aren't broken and then cocking the whole thing up for everyone.

any way back on topic. when two species do get it on and create a hybrid they usually have strange characteristics , like ligers are freaking huge because they don't develop the gene that tells them to stop getting bigger, or that mules have giant ears, or zehorsea (horse/zebra) has stripy legs but looks like a horse. how would this play over into humanoid hybrids.

Offline Apocrypha

• Conversationalist
  • As seen on tv
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2010, 09:29:07 PM »
how would this play over into humanoid hybrids.

It can be something as different coloured eyes or even oddly shaped eyes to different coloured skin or hair or even pointed ears, ridged noses, whatever you want but always be consistent.  If special abilities are involved try to mingle them in but don't forget to balance it with a bit of a drawback.  If a species can see in the dark then perhaps the offspring can also see in the dark but perhaps not as clearly or for as great a distance.

If Human mates with species A and creates B then you need to be consistent that all B's generally have the same characteristics to signify a stable breeding which to me seems more plausible.
I am not a narcissist. I humbly accept the fact that I'm extremely good looking, smart, and better than you.

City Of Heroes:  @Heathen Cross

Offline MoSeS

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2010, 01:27:45 PM »
Yeah, I think it wouldn't be hard to make cross species plausible. As long as the story is good I think any sort of halfling character would be accepted.

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2010, 02:51:53 PM »
Yeah, I think it wouldn't be hard to make cross species plausible.

If you had different species of humans as closely related as lions and tigers or horses and donkeys, maybe.

If you have something that evolved on another planet, you'll have an uphill battle convincing anyone who knows any biology that it even uses DNA, let alone that it can breed with a human.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline MoSeS

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2010, 03:11:34 PM »
If you had different species of humans as closely related as lions and tigers or horses and donkeys, maybe.

If you have something that evolved on another planet, you'll have an uphill battle convincing anyone who knows any biology that it even uses DNA, let alone that it can breed with a human.

True, but I think most people will just accept that it's fiction and only a handful of readers, like maybe 1%, will actually go hey "how can that alien and human breed". Moreover, I think it would be ironic that they would be concerned with the breeding but not even flinch at the idea and existance of aliens.....hmmmm....

I would love for someone to tell me "un-uh, a Na'Vi can't mate with a human because their genes aren't compatible"

There are so many responses to that. Such as "sorry to be the bearer of bad news but the Na'Vi aren't real" or "are you effing kidding me, prove it"

I am a nerd, but I have to draw the line somewhere, when it comes to fantasy sci-fi breeding, I say anything goes.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 03:29:21 PM by MoSeS_ »

Offline MoSeS

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2010, 03:29:27 PM »
What would Jabba the Hut and Princess Leia's children have looked like?

• O. M. G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2010, 04:44:56 PM »
True, but I think most people will just accept that it's fiction and only a handful of readers, like maybe 1%, will actually go hey "how can that alien and human breed".

Well, most people don't want to read SF in the first place, because for some reason they find worlds exactly like ours in every respect except for a bunch of non-existent normal people doing non-existent normal things more plausible than one with a large sweeping consistent set of changes.

Moreover, I think it would be ironic that they would be concerned with the breeding but not even flinch at the idea and existance of aliens.....hmmmm....

Are you serious ?

In a universe this big, with physical laws and chemistry working this way, the hard thing to sell is that there aren't aliens.

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline MoSeS

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 03, 2010, 06:25:26 PM »
I am not debating wether or not aliens exist, that would be a whole different thread.

What I am saying is for those who read fiction involving extraterrestrial beings shouldn't have too many qualms with believing that one of said beings could mate with a human.

And that the fiction could easily be written to make mating plausible.

For example: the alien technology makes breeding possible
« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 06:31:37 PM by MoSeS_ »

Offline MoSeS

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 03, 2010, 06:38:24 PM »
One the problems I run into when trying to find good examples of aliens, is that if you google Hottest Alien (sounds crazy), anyhow you will get list of aliens that all look human.

I know there are non-human looking aliens, like in Star Wars, Star Trek, Farscape, etc.
I can only find a few examples though, like Chiane from Farscape. But I guess my problem is I am looking only for female aliens because I am a dude. I guess I should think of it both ways.

IMO it would be plausible that some of these would be able to mate with humans, as long as anatomy were compatible.

Now, physical form is going to make it improbable for many human-alien couples. For example, how would ET mate with a human. (this is getting weird now)

Anyhow, the simple solution in this case is ET touches a woman on the stomach with that glowy finger, and BAM she's magically pregnant with an ET baby.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 06:42:39 PM by MoSeS_ »

• O. M. G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 03, 2010, 07:18:11 PM »
What I am saying is for those who read fiction involving extraterrestrial beings shouldn't have too many qualms with believing that one of said beings could mate with a human.

I am still querying why.  One of them is "I accept this as the premise of a book". The other is "logical consequence of aliens existing". Very different scales.

And that the fiction could easily be written to make mating plausible.
For example: the alien technology makes breeding possible

Which is like saying "the alien technology  provides infinite free energy". It's not plausible just because you declare it, not unless you explain or demonstrate enough of how it works.

• O. M. G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 03, 2010, 07:19:10 PM »
One the problems I run into when trying to find good examples of aliens, is that if you google Hottest Alien (sounds crazy), anyhow you will get list of aliens that all look human.
I know there are non-human looking aliens, like in Star Wars, Star Trek, Farscape, etc.
I can only find a few examples though, like Chiane from Farscape. But I guess my problem is I am looking only for female aliens because I am a dude. I guess I should think of it both ways.

If the only SF you're interested in is as biologically implausible as those examples, I think we may be arguing on different scales.

Offline Nickeris86

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 03, 2010, 07:32:59 PM »
Which is like saying "the alien technology  provides infinite free energy". It's not plausible just because you declare it, not unless you explain or demonstrate enough of how it works.

why is saying that alien technology provides infinite free energy unbelievable . you are assuming that these races evolved technologically along the same lines as humans. there is a very interesting documentary done by this physicist and his theory is that advanced races may have technology so vastly different from ours that what we think of as advanced science could be a infants toy to them. free infinite energy is not outside the realm of possibility.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 02:38:55 AM by Nickeris86 »

Offline MoSeS

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 04, 2010, 01:34:39 PM »
I am still querying why.  One of them is "I accept this as the premise of a book". The other is "logical consequence of aliens existing". Very different scales.

Which is like saying "the alien technology  provides infinite free energy". It's not plausible just because you declare it, not unless you explain or demonstrate enough of how it works.

I accept this as the premise of a book. This is what I am talking.

logical consequence of aliens existing. I think that would be a different thread.

If the only SF you're interested in is as biologically implausible as those examples, I think we may be arguing on different scales.

I think so.

I think you are thinking more realistically of actual aliens and the improbability of them being able to mate.

I am thinking of fiction. I am thinking totally make-believe beings, having totally make-believe sex, and having make-believe babies. Just for fictions sake.

I think if we want to debate the existance of real aliens and their tech, we should probably start a different thread (or maybe in a different forum like http://www.alien-ufos.com/)
« Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 02:15:12 PM by MoSeS_ »