Author Topic: Necromancy and those that practice it  (Read 9474 times)

Offline Nickeris86

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Necromancy and those that practice it
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2010, 03:19:29 AM »
glad to be of help. i think necromancers make great hero's if done correctly.
In the darkest hour i shall be there.

Offline belial.1980

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2010, 03:49:01 PM »
I am currently in the middle of "world building" and was thinking of putting a spin on things by having the necromancers (and their zombies) actually be the good guys for the change.

Thanks all again for the information as you've certainly helped.

I like it. I think intention would probably play a big role too. A necromancer directing zombies to pull children out of a burning orphanage is a lot different than said necromancer directing zombies to terrorize a town.

A couple things you may want to consider: how will society meet necromancers? Are they common or does the average person have no idea they exist. will necromancers ever be met with prejudice? People might automatically assume they're evil (or good) based on their practices.

What kind of zombies will they raise? Are they the slow shambling kind like you see in a George Romero movie, or are they fast like the ones in 28 Days Later?
(click to show/hide)
Both/neither/depends?

Are they limited to humans? It might be cool for said necromancer to ride an undead mount. Maybe made of all bones. There's an interesting fairy tale witch I read about that rode a headless horse. The necromancer could raise all kinds of animals for useful purposes. Can they build their own undead chimera by mixing and matching body parts from dead animals? (Try a google search for the Tupilek, a creature from Native American folklore. Pretty cool, and might offer some inspiration.)

What about decomposition? Will the bodies degrade or will the magic halt decomposition? If not what steps could the necromancers take to keep their minions in one piece? Embalming? Mummification? Or will they just have to let them eventually rot and fall to pieces.

Do the undead minions retain any memories, skills, or personality from their former life? If the undead are just "things" then the person controlling them can direct them with impunity. But if they have some kind of will or memory that could make things more complicated. That could be really interesting and raise a lot of moral questions.

Just some food for thought. I'd meant to chime in earlier, since I thought this was an interesting thread but hadn't been visiting the boards as much lately. Good luck on your project!

« Last Edit: August 07, 2010, 03:56:06 PM by belial.1980 »
Love cannot save you from your fate.

- Jim Morrison

Offline Apocrypha

• Conversationalist
  • As seen on tv
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2010, 05:38:21 PM »
I like it. I think intention would probably play a big role too. A necromancer directing zombies to pull children out of a burning orphanage is a lot different than said necromancer directing zombies to terrorize a town.

A couple things you may want to consider: how will society meet necromancers? Are they common or does the average person have no idea they exist. will necromancers ever be met with prejudice? People might automatically assume they're evil (or good) based on their practices.

They will be an underground faction.  The religion and politics of the world have the populace of the world believing in them as evil and thought to be wiped out.  Used by parents to scare their kids at night.  Basically the Necromancers were thought to be wiped out during a previous war and as the victors write history the Necromancers got painted as evil.  They would start working in secret, at night, where they can hide their appearance easier then finally rise up from their underground and secret city (yes, I know, cliché) and form an army to free the people.

What kind of zombies will they raise?  Do the undead minions retain any memories, skills, or personality from their former life?  What about decomposition? Will the bodies degrade or will the magic halt decomposition?

They will basically be souls placed back into their own bodies which are held together and repaired by magic.  In a sense, think of the crew of the Black Pearl from the first Pirates of the Caribbean movie as a basis as each "zombie" will have their personality and memories intact, etc.  For the most part they are followers of a particular religion/philosophy/belief in this world.  One which the general public disagrees with.

But if they have some kind of will or memory that could make things more complicated. That could be really interesting and raise a lot of moral questions.

That will come into play actually.  As the necromancers have the ability to trap the souls of those who die (and who they kill) this will be dealt with in the world.  I would say more but then that is part of the concept and I don't want to give too much of the idea away.  But they would be able to "reanimate" their opponents if they wished.  They cannot reanimate just anything or anyone.  They can only reanimate something with a soul that they have captured.

Are they limited to humans? It might be cool for said necromancer to ride an undead mount. Maybe made of all bones. There's an interesting fairy tale witch I read about that rode a headless horse. The necromancer could raise all kinds of animals for useful purposes. Can they build their own undead chimera by mixing and matching body parts from dead animals? (Try a google search for the Tupilek, a creature from Native American folklore. Pretty cool, and might offer some inspiration.)

I hadn't really thought of that as of yet.  The only real sentient species on this world are humans who are broken into a bunch of different factions/beliefs/philosophies.  I guess the animation of animals and other critters/beasts would actually be a good idea and would certainly add bulk and flavour to their side and their atmosphere.  As for constructs, I'm not yet sure.  I will take a look at this Tupilek that you suggested.  But basically each faction has its own little "spin" to make them unique in that world.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2010, 05:43:45 PM by Apocrypha »
I am not a narcissist. I humbly accept the fact that I'm extremely good looking, smart, and better than you.

City Of Heroes:  @Heathen Cross

Offline belial.1980

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 07, 2010, 06:32:45 PM »
That will come into play actually.  As the necromancers have the ability to trap the souls of those who die (and who they kill) this will be dealt with in the world.  I would say more but then that is part of the concept and I don't want to give too much of the idea away.  But they would be able to "reanimate" their opponents if they wished.  They cannot reanimate just anything or anyone.  They can only reanimate something with a soul that they have captured.

I hadn't really thought of that as of yet.  The only real sentient species on this world are humans who are broken into a bunch of different factions/beliefs/philosophies.  I guess the animation of animals and other critters/beasts would actually be a good idea and would certainly add bulk and flavour to their side and their atmosphere.  As for constructs, I'm not yet sure.  I will take a look at this Tupilek that you suggested.  But basically each faction has its own little "spin" to make them unique in that world.

So capturing souls is a requisite? Interesting. That definitely puts a spin on things. Are there willing subjects who pledge their souls to a necromancer after death? Do the souls have to be recently released from their corporeal state or can souls be coaxed back from the dead years later? Maybe do some research on ancestor worshipping practices from around the world. Or the Mexican Day of the Dead. That could give you some more brain food with regard to coexistence between the living and the dead. Overall I'd say you've got a lot of possibilities with your mythology.

If you did want to use animals/contructs, you could have it fit into your mythology by saying that every (or most) living creatures have a soul. A lot of cultures did believe that animals/plants had a spirit. It should fit into your concept if you wanted to use it.

EDIT: Just realized I used the term "brain food" in a post about zombies. No pun intended.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2010, 06:57:21 PM by belial.1980 »
Love cannot save you from your fate.

- Jim Morrison

Offline Apocrypha

• Conversationalist
  • As seen on tv
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2010, 04:32:22 AM »
So capturing souls is a requisite? Interesting. That definitely puts a spin on things. Are there willing subjects who pledge their souls to a necromancer after death?

Yes the followers of that faction are more than willing and are the ones who are mainly brought back and maintained.  Souls not captured go to the plane of existence of their patron diety.

Do the souls have to be recently released from their corporeal state or can souls be coaxed back from the dead years later?

If the soul was captured, yes.  If the soul went to the plain of existence of their patron deity then a definitive no.

If you did want to use animals/contructs, you could have it fit into your mythology by saying that every (or most) living creatures have a soul. A lot of cultures did believe that animals/plants had a spirit. It should fit into your concept if you wanted to use it.

I would agree that animals would and do have souls but it wasn't something I thought of in length regarding this universe.  Though as the animals cannot exactly worship a patron deity to claim their soul then I would imagine there could be a prospect there worth exploring.
I am not a narcissist. I humbly accept the fact that I'm extremely good looking, smart, and better than you.

City Of Heroes:  @Heathen Cross

Offline Nickeris86

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2010, 05:33:26 PM »
my own necromancer story is flopping like  dead fish in my head. i think i am going to right a sword a sorcery version first before i try the urban fantasy one. (not living in the city i want to base in it is becoming much more of a hindrance than i thought it was going to be.)
In the darkest hour i shall be there.

Offline Marrik Broom

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 19, 2010, 03:17:54 AM »
i don't want this thread to die so i am bumping it.

so for those who do have necromancers (good or bad) what kind of abilities do you give them.

Wel Marrik's someone I've tried setting up as one goingagainst hte dark and dreary stereotype, which is tough since the spells that are geared to working with taken energy rather than innate/elemental magic tends to have the skulls and shadow motif.

However as he has grown up a farmer one of the earliest bits of research he did netted a way to draw from weeds, insects, and even the body's own dying cells. Doesn't provide the raw power as a human (killed by your own hands is even more energy. Highest amount of power gained is from a willing sacrifice... on the idea that there's no resistance or struggle to take.)

Doesn't help the world's outlook on necromancy that his great grandfather tried becoming a god... and more or less broke the world in the process.

He's not an investigator or anything, though he does help local guards with cases. He sells stuff, researches when he can... he just keeps getting drawn into different problems and can't find a way out without being involved.