Author Topic: [Aspects] Compels for "... Just In A Nick Of Time!"  (Read 1774 times)

Offline Arcteryx

• Conversationalist
  • "I comb my hair with a hand grenade."
    • View Profile
[Aspects] Compels for "... Just In A Nick Of Time!"
« on: July 21, 2010, 08:51:34 PM »
Aspect is for a character who just gets there, or barely gets there just in time to save someone, get things done, or just finish it under the wire. Obvious compels would be tasks that would benefit from finishing early ... don't, or complications come up that tend to shift the time increment towards satisfying this aspect.

Any others that come to mind? Or a better & flashier name?

Offline Archmage_Cowl

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: [Aspects] Compels for "... Just In A Nick Of Time!"
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2010, 08:56:13 PM »
compel him to not reach the bad guy and his "in trouble" team mates till the last possible minute. lol
"I who stand in the full light of the heavens, command thee, who opens the gates to hell. Come forth Divine Lightning! This ends now! Indignation!" Jade Curtis Tales of the abyss

Offline Kordeth

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2010, 09:07:58 PM »
compel him to not reach the bad guy and his "in trouble" team mates till the last possible minute. lol

This. Anything he tries to get done early with plenty of spare time to double check the work or avoid things like "oh God they're shooting at me" penalties is doomed to failure.

Offline Arcteryx

• Conversationalist
  • "I comb my hair with a hand grenade."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2010, 09:10:23 PM »
Bahahaha this is SO mean, I can't believe i'm going to inflict this Aspect on myself ... *@#^$%#

Offline wyvern

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2010, 09:29:49 PM »

Actually, I would explicitly not do that - it's no fun to have a scene running and be told "No, you can't join in yet, but here's a fate point."  Instead, I'd go the other way around - the character arrives whenever the player wants... and you then compel their "Just In Time" aspect to have them arrive just as the enemy gets reinforcements, or just as the ritual starts to go off, or just as the cops catch up to him for speeding, or whatever.  (Though, in this case, you do need to be careful that you're not punishing the *rest* of the players for this one guy's aspect - whatever it is needs to be something that would have happened sooner or later anyway, or that primarily inconveniences the person getting the fate point.)