Author Topic: looking for suggestion for a tokyo based game  (Read 2214 times)

Offline hannibalisfun

• Lurker
    • View Profile
looking for suggestion for a tokyo based game
« on: July 19, 2010, 02:49:40 PM »
I just started reading Tokyo Vice.  It has inspired me to try and run a story in Tokyo but unfortunately my group wants to start sometime in the next two weeks, 2 to 3 weeks earlier than I had expected.  I was going to go through Wikipedia at a meandering pace and stop by my campus library but I don't know i will have time to do that now.  I was hoping a some of you might be able to give me some cool idea or point in the direction Japan's more interesting supernatural entities or anything that might be able to speed up the creative process.

thanks

Offline WillH

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: looking for suggestion for a tokyo based game
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2010, 02:57:29 PM »
Three words: Emissary of Godzilla

Offline Papa Gruff

• Conversationalist
  • in omnia paratus!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2010, 03:07:48 PM »
Right from the top of my head I'd suggest digging deep into Japanese folklore witch is always a good idea for any setting of a DFRPG-Campaign. There is a nice Wikipedia entry with many links on that: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_folklore

Shintoism and Buddhism are the main religions in Japan and you will find literally TONS of stuff there, as Shintoism worships spirits that inhabit practically everything (there a millions of the Kami, the Shinto gods)

Then there a couple of mystic magical animals (fox, badger, ...), monster spirits, dragons.

Then there is Mt. Fuji the highest mountain on Honsh a more or less semi-inactive volcano and a Holy place in Shintoism.

Then there are regular earthquakes, that might not always have a geological reason behind them.

Infinite possibilities really. Yet an other setting I need explore now ... ::)
« Last Edit: July 19, 2010, 03:43:43 PM by Papa Gruff »
in omnia peratus! ... wait a minute! ... to give anybody a rucksack? ... DAMN CORRESPONDENCE COURSE!

Offline Mal_Luck

• Posty McPostington
  • The Trope Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2010, 03:18:30 PM »
I think I love you.

:P
DV Mal_Luck v1.2 YR3 FR1 BK++++ RP++++ JB TH(+++) WG(-) CL SW(+) BC(++) MC(--) SH [Molly+++ Murphy++]

Offline Morgan

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2010, 04:45:58 PM »

Now I'm picturing a level of the Tokyo/Japanese Nevernever where giant Daikaiju spirits are constantly battling over the city in a endless cycle of destruction, maybe it can supernaturally explain a lot of the earthquakes in Japan.

Also History shows again and again how nature points up the folly of man. Godzilla!

Offline Ihadris

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2010, 05:10:57 PM »
I had breifly considered doing this as I've been out here studying in the Tokyo Metropolitan area for nearly a year now. I'm no expert, I already know from other threads that there are people far more knowledgable then myself in these matters but I can try and give you a few things that could help out with your game.

There is a lot of 'holy ground' around Tokyo, there are a huge number of shrines and temples all of which have their own god/spirit/deity. There are spirits for entire reigons of Japan or one specific natural feature (mountains, lakes etc). Wikipedia or god-checker are good places to read up on the inter-relationships between these.

Japanese folk-lore has a long history of animals that can turn into people, often beautiful women, so shapeshifters might be a good avenue of exploration.  I have an NPC that is a fox-spirit of knowledge, called a Kitsune. I can send you what I have on that if you think it would be of help.

The Japanese element system is different to the greek one standard Dresden uses- there are already qualities assinged to each element so building a new element set for wizards should be pretty easy and give your games a nice eastern flavour. The same applies to the Yin-Yang which myself and one of my players recently built a set of elements out of. Again if either of these would be helpful I can send what I have across.

Some traditional martial arts- Kendo, Iaido, Kyudo, Judo etc are still frequently practiced by people of all ages all over the city. As such its not uncommon to see people carrying equipment around for this with them on the subway system and in the city- having a brief description of these and perhaps a few stunts might make a really appealing character for your players. As an example one of my teachers practices both Kendo and Iaido and often brings swords and armor into university with him on the subway. Truth be told he was actually very good inspiriation for another npc as he is also a devout Muslim and speaks three of four languages. Sometimes truth is a little stranger then fiction I guess. 

Many people carry charms, Omamori,  from temples that protect or help with a variety of things- everything from passing exams to safety when crossing the road. Perhaps the written prayers some of these items contain come from a true believer and hold a strong measure of power?

That being said, in my experiance talking with my Japanese friends, many go to various temples for festivals and things because its simply what you do rather then any very strong beleif in it. Perhaps this says more about the group of Japanese people I got to know or the younger generation in general rather then than the community as a whole but I would advise against making true beleivers very common in your npcs.

I hope some of this was some help.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2010, 05:27:50 PM by Ihadris »

Offline hannibalisfun

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2010, 02:33:36 PM »
Thanks for the information.  I had a few other linked questions. what are gun control laws like and how easy is it to get around them?  Also, what are the laws for bladed weapons?  lastly, I would recommend Tokyo Vice: An American Reporter on the Police Beat in Japan.  I think It could provide a useful picture of part of Tokyo and is also a good read.

Offline WillH

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2010, 02:49:47 PM »
Japan's gun laws are pretty strict. I think shotguns are allowed, but you need to go through a bunch of hoops. Bladed weapons can be purchased at any tourist trap and lots of other places (interesting note you will find kamas in gardening stores).

Offline Ihadris

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2010, 05:57:16 PM »
I wouldnt know about gun laws but as part of the martial arts point from before its very easy for people to get hold of useable traditional bladed weapons. They tend to have to be wrapped and bound to be brougt out in public but no one really seems to blink an eye at it, certainly very different from England (and I guess America) in that regard.